Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Laguna II - yes or no?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Basically, I'm looking for a car to get me from A-B and on occasion C. Not into spending big money, but I do like my toys & spec. The Laguna II (2001-2005) has stood out like a diamond in the rough to me for high spec and little money. The 1.6/1.8 petrol engined Laguna's will be the cars I'm looking at, mainly as I can't justify the additional expense of a diesel.

I am aware of the existing common ailments associated with the Laguna II. Notably their appetite for rear suspension bushes (like any other French car TBH), coil pack failures, window regulator failures, and key card issues.

The above wouldn't worry me as sorting them is well within my scope (except the keycard), but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into. What problems have Laguna owners encountered?

Maybe I'm mad, but I can see a good deal behind the bad press. Other cars that people have warned me off have turned out to be fine some requiring minor preventative work or work due to wear & tear - maybe I've been exceptionally lucky or maybe people naturally don't like anything other than Japanese or German marques.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you do end up gettign one, go for the 1.8. The 1.6 , as in any car in it's class , is underpowered. A mate has one, and while it hasnt missed a beat, he doesnt get anywhere very quickly :)

I almost bought an 01 estate abotu 2 years back and only pulled out because the guy was up front about the clocks being change that showed up as mileage discrepency on the HPI check.

I'll most likely be driving one at some stage in the future though and have no issue buying and running one.

The onslaught is about to begin though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It sounds like you have done your homework about things to look for and expect. You are right to look at a petrol rather than a diesel - simpler engine that is less prone to expensive problems, less sensitive to poor maintenance etc.

If you want a list of faults on my on my 03 1.6 231k miles
    -3 plug coils, 2 of them in the last year
    -1 electric window regulator, frayed cable.
    -rear bushings replaced at 140k and 200k
    -tyre pressure sensors kept getting broken when getting new tyres, system has now been turned off
    -backlighting on the climate control display failed. New unit fitted under warranty. Same problem has now happened to the replacement unit. Not a huge deal (display is still readable in daytime) and apparently can be fixed cheaply.

Apart from that, a very reliable car. I know of several other 01-05 Lagunas with lower mileage that have had similar or fewer problems. Also Meganes that have gone for over 10 years on the original plug coils so IMO the plug coil issue may be exaggerated.

PS are you sure that the rear bushes are within your scope. From what I know of the work a lift would be essential. I paid 280 quid to have them done at a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've a '02 1.8 that's fine, though the mileage is unusually low.

Got it for the price of a wheel-balancing a while back and it hasn't gone wrong since. Battery killed a cell there a few weeks ago however, but that's about it.

Frankly, after so long, all the really ****ty ones will have dropped out of the market. What you're left with is a comfortable and interesting car with a good spec, for not that much cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

When i was looking to get a car a few months ago i was seriously interested in getting either a 00/01/02 renault laguna or a peugeot 406 but i chickened out eventually & went for a painfully boring bog-standard corolla.
    I kind of regret this because there seems to be some very well kitted out french motors being advertised for silly money.

Im seriously thinking about selling my 00 corolla & getting something like a peugeot 406 just for a change. How bad can they be? Ive only ever had a jap car & i'd love to see what these so-called heaps of crap are like to live with. Ive test driven a few 406's & they do have a lovely ride but theres a lot of talk about various problems they have which is why i've always ignored them in the past.

Anyway OP what im saying is i think you're right to be interested in a laguna II, im tempted myself.

Im seriously thinking about selling my 00 corolla & getting something like a peugeot 406 just for a change. How bad can they be?.

Not bad at all. The 406 is a cracking car. I've a Xantia which is more or less the same thing but with hydropneumatic suspention. Hasnt put a foot wrong and everything works. It's been sitting up for a few months because I cant afford to run a car and a van (think I'll have to stick it on adverts soon) , I jumped it so I could move it and everythign started first time. The battery needs replacing though :).

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Not bad at all. The 406 is a cracking car. I've a Xantia which is more or less the same thing but with hydropneumatic suspention. Hasnt put a foot wrong and everything works. It's been sitting up for a few months because I cant afford to run a car and a van (think I'll have to stick it on adverts soon) , I jumped it so I could move it and everythign started first time. The battery needs replacing though :).

Thanks a lot for making me think about this even more now.:(:D

Is your 406 petrol? When i went through a phase of wanting a 406 i did a bit of research & found that the diesel engines are excellent when they're working but when they go wrong, they really go wrong.
    What surprised me was the amount of people saying the petrol engines are actually very reliable & that its suspension components that go wrong mostly.

Since you own a 406, whats your opinion?

OP sorry for hijacking your thread a bit, you interested in 406's?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you do end up gettign one, go for the 1.8. The 1.6 , as in any car in it's class , is underpowered. A mate has one, and while it hasnt missed a beat, he doesnt get anywhere very quickly :)

I almost bought an 01 estate abotu 2 years back and only pulled out because the guy was up front about the clocks being change that showed up as mileage discrepency on the HPI check.

I'll most likely be driving one at some stage in the future though and have no issue buying and running one.

The onslaught is about to begin though.....
    Yeah the 1.6 can feel as long as a wet week getting up to speed, but is quite good on consumption considering the size of the car. 1.8 can get up to 40MPG depending on the circumstances.

The Sport tourer Laguna is one nice looking car, one of the nicest looking estates out there.
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    It sounds like you have done your homework about things to look for and expect. You are right to look at a petrol rather than a diesel - simpler engine that is less prone to expensive problems, less sensitive to poor maintenance etc.

If you want a list of faults on my on my 03 1.6 231k miles
    -3 plug coils, 2 of them in the last year
    -1 electric window regulator, frayed cable.
    -rear bushings replaced at 140k and 200k
    -tyre pressure sensors kept getting broken when getting new tyres, system has now been turned off
    -backlighting on the climate control display failed. New unit fitted under warranty. Same problem has now happened to the replacement unit. Not a huge deal (display is still readable in daytime) and apparently can be fixed cheaply.

Apart from that, a very reliable car. I know of several other 01-05 Lagunas with lower mileage that have had similar or fewer problems. Also Meganes that have gone for over 10 years on the original plug coils so IMO the plug coil issue may be exaggerated.

PS are you sure that the rear bushes are within your scope. From what I know of the work a lift would be essential. I paid 280 quid to have them done at a main dealer.
    That's very little to go wrong in a vehicle with that mileage! I had a 11 year old Megane on it's original coilpacks, so it's an issue no inherent in all of them. But your car seems to have suffered more of less what I can expect to have to deal with. I'm avoiding a diesel as I can't justify the added expense as I wont be doing high mileage so the additional purchase price, extra tax and prospective EGR problems won't even it out.

I have access to a lift & press so should have no hassle in sorting the rear bushes out, only problem may be getting the parts to do the job - apparently difficult to source through a main dealer, upwards of a week to get them in :eek:

Apparently the tyre pressure sensors when the new tyre is refitted (provided they didn't remove the sensor) can take upwards of 30 miles to recalibrate.
    Dartz wrote: »
    I've a '02 1.8 that's fine, though the mileage is unusually low.

Got it for the price of a wheel-balancing a while back and it hasn't gone wrong since. Battery killed a cell there a few weeks ago however, but that's about it.

Frankly, after so long, all the really ****ty ones will have dropped out of the market. What you're left with is a comfortable and interesting car with a good spec, for not that much cash.
    I've come across 02 1.6 Supersports with the half-leather seats, air-con etc. for around €2000 - consider that to a similar spec Mondeo and you're into silly money. And to be honest - which would spend more time in the garage? The Mondeo or the Laguna?
    When i was looking to get a car a few months ago i was seriously interested in getting either a 00/01/02 renault laguna or a peugeot 406 but i chickened out eventually & went for a painfully boring bog-standard corolla.
    I kind of regret this because there seems to be some very well kitted out french motors being advertised for silly money.

Im seriously thinking about selling my 00 corolla & getting something like a peugeot 406 just for a change. How bad can they be? Ive only ever had a jap car & i'd love to see what these so-called heaps of crap are like to live with. Ive test driven a few 406's & they do have a lovely ride but theres a lot of talk about various problems they have which is why i've always ignored them in the past.

Anyway OP what im saying is i think you're right to be interested in a laguna II, im tempted myself.
    Sometimes it's better to listen to your heart rather than your head. Drove a 2.0 HDI 406 for a few weeks and loved it. Really comfortable car and quite powerful. A minor appetite for brake bulbs though :o

Since you own a 406, whats your opinion?

OP sorry for hijacking your thread a bit, you interested in 406's?

Xantia :) but again, essentially the same thing. I really like the car. It's a 1.8 petrol.As I said, everything works, which I like :) They are usually well specced (mine has front armrest, comfy seats, A/C , automatic wipers etc. I love the hydropneumatic suspension, which is a big part in why I've always been one to lean to Citroen over Peugeot, it provides such a nice ride, and despite what people seem to think is actually quite simple and easy to work on (I changed all my spheres myself, having never dealt with the system before).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Very cheap used prices , nice cars. I've heard the gearbox can give trouble and are very hard to get second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Barr wrote: »
    Very cheap used prices , nice cars. I've heard the gearbox can give trouble and are very hard to get second hand.
    AFAIK that's an issue with the 1.9 DCI 6-speed, same problem the Traffic/Vivaro/Primastart suffer with (collapsed bearings causing 2nd gear to go). Quite a common problem with the diesels and you're right about the scarcity of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

An '00 corolla owner calling a 406 a heap of crap - the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Currently driving a '02 1.9dCI Tourer approaching 120k miles. Brought it in from the UK early last year with 74k on the clock. Took my time looking and got a well-specced one for over €1200 less than an alternative over here. Couldn't even find one in Ireland with the same spec at the time (xenons, roof rails, sunroof, half-leather)! Hope to be selling/trading in the next few months, but only to get a commercial jeep.

Whats gone wrong
    Tyre pressure sensors acting up so system was turned off prior to NCT
    Glow plugs replaced @ 85k miles
    Rear axle bushings replaced @ 85k miles
    Battery replaced @ 90k miles
    Drivers side window regulator (frayed cable) last June
    Passenger side window regulator same problem 6 months later
    Buckled wheels (soft 17" Silverstones - since replaced with 18" Ronal alloys from a Mondeo)

She's now due a timing belt, rear axle bushings again and brake pads.

Besides that it's been relatively trouble free besides regular oil changes. Have had to replace a couple of front fog lights due to stones, but can hardly cite that as a criticism of the car itself. Regularly returns between 48-51mpg, have had no issues with the gearbox, comfortable ... if it wasn't for the desire to get a jeep for towing then I wouldn't be getting rid at all.

I weighed up all the options last year, comparing the competition. Decided to ignore all the scary stories online about them (no-one ever has a rant when nothing goes wrong so I feel these stories give a skewed review of the car). Spoke with my old man who's on his 3rd Laguna II with no problems at all, and took the plunge. For comfort, toys and price, I couldn't find anything that fitted the bill better. If I could go back and do it again the only thing I'd change would be to ditch the weak 17's immediately on arrival at home and save myself the expense of the repairs and replacement tyres courtesy of our Irish roads. Other than that very happy with the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rob230te

Bought 1.6 tourer back in feb. While its not the fastest taking off - especially with aircon on - it seems pretty ok picking up the pace to overtake. Haven't had it long enough to really comment on reliability but it only has 65k, full service history and always looked after. Its also easily the most comfortable car I've owned apart from my old 124 merc.

pajo1981 wrote: »
    An '00 corolla owner calling a 406 a heap of crap - the irony.

shussshhhh. Read my post again. Properly. Before you start getting catty.

Advertisement