Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma Meds Costs in Ireland

Options
  • 11-07-2010 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi, wonder if you can help me.

Myself and my daugher are moving back to Ireland in 2 weeks from the UK. My daughter is an asthmatic who needs becotide 100 and ventolin to control it, which works fine and she is very healthy. My question is regarding the cost of these in Ireland? In the UK as she is under 16 it is all free and I have no idea who much they will cost when we get home. Obviously I will pay whatever it is I'm just trying to plan my budget :)

I hope this question doesn't contravene any rules and I apologise if it does.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi

it depends on a number if things

depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to a medical card, in which case all prescription meds are free (altho a 50 cent charge is supposed to be coming)

if not, there is a max monthly charge that a household has to pay on meds - its either €100 or €120, im not sure which. that would cover all prescriptions for yourself, partner, and children, so once your prescription charge hits that you dont pay any more

there is such a thing as a long term illness scheme which covers meds - i dont know if asthma is included on that, maybe someone else here might know

lastly, i dont know the actual proces of those inhalers, but i hope this gives you some idea of teh way things work here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Asthma isn't included in the long term illness scheme unfortunatly (anyone know why?)

From experience, most inhalers cost about €20 a pop, but as sam says, youll be covered for all meds over €120/month under the Drugs Payment Scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Thank you both,
    As she generally only needs one a month of each inhaler and I have no medical costs I think it would be best for us to use the Pay as You Go way.

While 20 euro really is daylight robbery for a medicine she needs to survive at least I am in the lucky position that I can afford that. It is disgaceful that asthma is not included in the long term illness scheme... that is what it is, she's 12 and has it since she was 6 months old, that is long term in my opinion. Ah well such is life :p

Again thank you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

im on beclazone 200 and it costs close to 40 euro ( also on ventolin whenever i get a flu ) lasts around six weeks , ive been on a few inhalers over the years and never remember any costing as little as 20 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Thank you both,
    As she generally only needs one a month of each inhaler and I have no medical costs I think it would be best for us to use the Pay as You Go way.

While 20 euro really is daylight robbery for a medicine she needs to survive at least I am in the lucky position that I can afford that. It is disgaceful that asthma is not included in the long term illness scheme... that is what it is, she's 12 and has it since she was 6 months old, that is long term in my opinion. Ah well such is life :p

Again thank you :D

no worries,

welcome back to ireland:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

irishh_bob wrote: »
    im on beclazone 200 and it costs close to 40 euro ( also on ventolin whenever i get a flu ) lasts around six weeks , ive been on a few inhalers over the years and never remember any costing as little as 20 euro

€40 for an inhaler is very steep, my beclazone 100 costs 21, aerolin 100 costs 17. You might want to shop around...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I found the ventolins and whatever similar varitions of that I was on at the time were generally about €15, the beco??? ones were quite a bit more expensive, think I once got charged €70 for one.

Thankfully my asthma was a whole lot better in Ireland than when living in the UK so it wasn't as much of an issue as it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Thats because asthma drugs are expensive and always have been The HSE dont want to to include them on the LTI list cos of the costs involved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Just checked a receipt Salamol EasiBreathe 100mcg (200 metered doses) CFC free inhaler €15. (same drug as Ventolin just in a different dispenser?)

Advertisement