Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

ping too high?

• 11-07-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

i have a 3mb conncection with 187 ping how can i lower it or isthere anyway to lower it plz help
    20206229.png

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    i have a 3mb conncection with 187 ping how can i lower it or isthere anyway to lower it plz help
    20206196.png

If you've the eircom router then try fiddling with the settings on it.

Type 192.168.1.254 into the browser at the top and log into the router.

Look for firewall and set it to low.

Go to custom services and enable Xbox Live Games.

Don't know if this will help at all but anything is worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

celtic723 wrote: »
    If you've the eircom router then try fiddling with the settings on it.

Type 192.168.1.254 into the browser at the top and log into the router.

Look for firewall and set it to low.

Go to custom services and enable Xbox Live Games.

Don't know if this will help at all but anything is worth a shot.

ya the usual thing everyone does thanks have that done before as when i disconnect i have to do it every time ill tyr it again and see if theres any diff but cant find xbox live games listed weird??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

ya the usual thing everyone does thanks have that done before as when i disconnect i have to do it every time ill tyr it again and see if theres any diff but cant find xbox live games listed weird??

A quick google or boards search will tell you exactly what ports to open.

Might seem obvious questions but have to ask, is anyone else in the house using your connection with a laptop or pc? Do you have any kind of P2P app running in the background on any of your PCs? This can cause your pings to be very high. Also, how far away from your telephone exchange are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

A quick google or boards search will tell you exactly what ports to open.

Might seem obvious questions but have to ask, is anyone else in the house using your connection with a laptop or pc? Do you have any kind of P2P app running in the background on any of your PCs? This can cause your pings to be very high. Also, how far away from your telephone exchange are you?

it depends at times im the only one using it but at other times i could have up to 3 laptop using it including me and sometimes an ipod dunno what a p2p app is and and by telephone exchange i think u man how far am i from the router well just bout 10 metres at the most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

it depends at times im the only one using it but at other times i could have up to 3 laptop using it including me and sometimes an ipod dunno what a p2p app is and and by telephone exchange i think u man how far am i from the router well just bout 10 metres at the most

The telephone exchange is where your broadband comes from. Check out Naughto's link. The closer your home is to the center of one of the orange circles, the better your connection will be.

P2P apps are programs that alows you to share information with other people. P2P=person to person. Programs like BitTorrents and LimeWire can run in the background of your pc and laptop without you even aware of it. These use up your banwidth and will cause delays or gaps in the information being sent and received when using XBL live. I had a mate who used LimeWire, not realising it was always sucking up his bandwidth. He used to run out of his monthly usage limit after about two weeks. He even blamed his neighbours for hacking into his wifi network! Boy did he feel stupid when he realised what had happened :D

Likewise, if you have other people using the net when you are trying to play on XBL, they will be sucking up the bandwidth too. If they are just on Facebook or general web browsing, it shouldn't effecct you too much. However, if they are downloading large amounts of information this will effect the quality of your connection to XBL ie. youtube and other video streaming sites.

So, the likelyhood is that because you are sharing your home network with so many other people, it will have an adverse effect on the quality of your connection to XBL.

So, ban your housemates from using their laptops when you're playing!

well i dunno waht bittorrents r but i dont have limewire and im within the circle

Advertisement