Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems trying to reinstall xp - hard drive confusion

• 11-07-2010 1:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I usually reinstall my xp pc every 6 months or so. I've been meaning to do it for ages and now I've somehow got one of those pain in the ass viruses that want you to pay for their "antivirus" software and won't let your computer do anything else like control panel or exe's etc

My pc is a Dell Dimension 5000 with xp home. I have several hard drives. Te main one is a 750gb sata partitioned into C: (50gb) and D: (700gb). I then have two other physical hard drives as well which I just store backup info on a big files etc.

Anyway, usually what I do is insert the xp cd, and simply delete the C partition and install a fresh install. I can see the C 50gb partition separate frm the D: partition. This time however it is not showing me this. I simple see a C and a D partition, of which they say they are the same size. This worries me as I cannot risk installing on one in case t misses the partitions and deletes the whole drive and all my data.

I tried to do a "repair" install but it just doesn't work, pushes me to a c prompt.

I'm stuck, can anyone give me any advice as to what I can do?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

are the other two physical drives of the same size, and does that correspond to the partitions you are seeing during the installation process?

try removing the two spare drives to be sure it's just the 750 you're looking at

also you can get rid of the likes of those viruses by booting in to safe mode and running the likes of malware bytes, and checking your registry etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks adam

I did remove the drives, unplugged both the cables, I get an error message at the start and press f1 to continue. I just get the same C & D drives with the same fie site and bother called "(unknown)" - instead of what I have the hard drives named as

Thanks yes I restarted into safe mode and tried malware bytes but still no joy!

What is a good antivirus to try that will work in safe mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

another trick is to get rkill and run it in safe mode and explore whatevers processes it stops, generally they'll be malware which can be deleted, download Unlocker if you're having trouble removing any of the files

incidentally, what size are the two partitions that are showing? do they add up to the expected 750 gigs?

Advertisement