Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance Question/ Query (Accid. Damage)

Options
  • 11-07-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

This is probably a stupid query but I have had home insurance for 10 years, never making a claim.

A tradesman caused accidental damage on Saturday in the back garden (€1500) and myself and partner challenged him on the work. I'll be contacting him tomorrow again to ask if he has liability insurance but I doubt he does.

My home insurance has accidental cover but if I claim for the tradesmans accidental damage on my home insurance will my premium be astronomical in price next year.

What other drawback ensue from a home insurance claim?

Many thanks,
    R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

OP, you need to tell me what was damaged and how. If he caused damage to your property, he is liable to pay compensation, whether he has insurance or not. Your House insurance may cover it but more details please

One claim won't affect your insurance btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you make a claim, the only thing you should have to worry about is your excess. This will reduce the amount you can reclaim.

You should pursue the guy that caused the problem though. Use the courts if necessary. Small claims can be used to recoup costs for damages and will only cost you €15.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court

Advertisement