Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi bike computer - just back from first spin :)

• 11-07-2010 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey folks!

I got one of the aldi computers today - first impressions, pretty pleased with it! I found it fairly easy to fit, considering i've never fitted one before, once that was done away I went into phoenix park.

I asked some other people who I thought looked like they'd have decent computers (expensive looking bikes, bike jerseys and shorts, clipless pedals etc) to compare their readings with mine and mine seemed pretty accurate, so was quite pleased there -

It measures all the stuff you'd expect, speed, distance, time, etc, also it has a wireless heart rate monitor (loop thing worn around chest) which is handy, in setup you enter your weight and it calculates roughly what sort of kcal you've burned, also you can set 'ranges' that you want your HR to stay in and it'll beep if you go outside that range. I didn't experience any issues with it losing connection to the computer, its readings made sense although I don't know if they're accurate - eg, it didn't go from 48 to 192 and all over the place, it went up when I worked harder, went down when I was taking a rest to see what it'd do etc - so if it is off, its prolly off by a consistent amount.

Just back from my first trip with it, here's what its telling me..

Trip Distance: 30.4km
    Ride Time 1.15.59
    Average Speed 24.3km/h
    Max Speed: 51.4km/h (woo hoo!)
    tot. Kcal : 884

It also tells me how long I spent in my desired heart-rate zone/range, how long I was above it and how long below it.

So what do you reckon guys? Not a bad bit of kit for €20?

I was there at precisely 11.03 - there were already lots of bikes locked up outside and the brake pads went almost instantly! If anyone's thinking about getting one of these, i'd reccomend it so far, it seems accurate on speed and distance, and for the money I'd say its a good deal. It also comes with a 36 month warranty.

Did anyone else grab one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Good stuff, I got one this morning, and a couple of pairs of glasses. Haven't fitted it yet, a little hungover and trying to watch the Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

got one and it doesen't work. after setting up the computer, attaching all the bits as instructed, did yours give you a reading after just spinning the wheel for a while? did i miss something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

You have to get the magnet pretty close to the 'reciever' thing. Make sure you've put it on the outermost spoke (look near the hub, some go over some go under, put it on an 'over') - but yeah they need to be almost hitting, the manual says 4mm gap max so.. pretty close. Took a little adjustment on mine to get it right. But yes I got a reading just spinning the wheel..

Advertisement