Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATMs eating bank cards??

Options
  • 11-07-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there

I was out on Friday night in Dublin and put my ATM card into an Ulster bank ATM and lo and behold, it ate the card. This is the third time this has happened to me in as many months! The first time was another UB ATM, the second was a National Irish bank machine and now this! Is it just my bad luck or is this type of thing happening more often?

I cancelled my card and all that but really! The only ATMs that seem to not do it are AIB machines, although I find that locating one that is working or not only doling out 50 euro denominations is a job in itself.

Anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

dropstar wrote: »
    Hi there

I was out on Friday night in Dublin and put my ATM card into an Ulster bank ATM and lo and behold, it ate the card. This is the third time this has happened to me in as many months! The first time was another UB ATM, the second was a National Irish bank machine and now this! Is it just my bad luck or is this type of thing happening more often?

I cancelled my card and all that but really! The only ATMs that seem to not do it are AIB machines, although I find that locating one that is working or not only doling out 50 euro denominations is a job in itself.

Anyone else having this problem?

never had this problem ever myself. Contact your bank and see if there is a problem with your card. Are you putting in the wrong pin at the atm by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wikey

In a previous life I worked at maintaining AIB's ATM network. A machine can retain a card if it can't read the information stored on it properly - the magnetic strip on the back or the chip can become compromised, or the card can simply get bent. Scratches on the back of the magnetic strip or chip are usually the reason for info not being read.

We were also told that a mobile phone could wipe the information on the magnetic strip but I'm not too sure for the reason behind this. If there are any magnets in the phone I suppose they could interfere with the strip.

I can't see a reason why some machines would retain your card and others wouldn't. The card readers on a machine should be cleaned regularly as the take any clog with dirt from other peoples cards. Are you using very busy machines?

Also, as obvious as it sounds, if the machine is retaining your card before you enter the pin it's clearly something to do with card and not you entering the incorrect pin!

Wikey

Advertisement