Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo: Any landscapers who'd like to live RENT FREE!

Options
  • 11-07-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello to all.. great forum.. never seen so many different topics under a single forum.. where have you been all my life ;O)

We are in UK but have cottage just a couple of miles from Charlestown which, for a variety of reasons we don't see that much of nowadays.

Cottage is traditional 3 room type, with 2 beds and has recently had a kitchen/bathroom extension across the back. So interior is fine but outside is a bl00dy mess, all overgrown etc (it's on half an acre btw).

We've never had any need or desire to rent it out in the past, but as it's now nearly always unoccupied, it's time we got someone in there to enjoy the place that it is.

I simply haven't got the time, money or the inclination to sort the exterior myself and previous attempts at utilising some of the local 'talent' were let's say 'unfruitful'.

My thinking is to offer it for FREE rental (I'm thinking anything from 3-6months) to anyone that wants to go in and sort the outside. I'm not expecting anyone to dig it all out by hand ..although anti-herbiciders are more than welcome! I can get it 'roughly' cut down (friend with tractor+cutter), but then it need some general landscaping. The objective is to turn a boring plot into something better - and I'm completely flexible with ideas. I can pay for tools or hiring stuff etc so really I suppose it's a mix of labour and 'project-management' I'm looking for.

Of course I'm aware that such an offer could potentially open the floodgates to free-loaders who could enjoy the local craic and scenery for a few months, then just bugger off without lifting a finger :mad:... so I'd definately need some form of commitment up front (various ways to do this whether it be financial or not and again, I'm always open to suggestions).

So... it could suit anyone who's kicking their heels, or retired, or semi-retired, or any other scenario you can think of..

If you've read this far 'thanks'.. what do you reckon of such an idea?..could it work?.. or am I a nutter for even suggesting it?!

Would really appreciate any ideas/comments/suggestions, and of course if you think either you or someone you know might fit the bill, please feel free to post either on this thread or else via PM if you prefer.

Many thanks in anticipation.. will now have a mooch around the board see what else you've got on here..hopefully I can contribute something :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

If you are adopting an arrangement such as this, you would nearly want to know the occupant and be satisfied that they would do the work. What you are suggesting is almost like an open invitation to a squatter that you will find it hard to get rid of. The way things are, there are a lot of people out there who would tidy up around the house for a couple of hundred euro and do a good job without the risk of inheriting someone you might find it difficult to get out when you want to. Have you any family in the Charlestown area who could keep an eye on the situation if you did go down this route??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Try contacting the Professional Gardeners Guild http://www.pgg.org.uk/ they have members in Ireland and might be able to advertise for you. The place might suit a retired professional gardener, someone like that would have a track record and references.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Thanks for the quick responses.. appreciated..
    dec25532 wrote: »
    Have you any family in the Charlestown area who could keep an eye on the situation if you did go down this route??

I have a couple of ideas to counter the squatter thing Dec but as I've already hinted at I'm well aware of the risk. In answer to the above if I were to put the terms "bargepole" "tried it" and "trust" in the same sentence... if you get my drift :(

ttm wrote: »
    Try contacting the Professional Gardeners Guild http://www.pgg.org.uk/ they have members in Ireland and might be able to advertise for you. The place might suit a retired professional gardener, someone like that would have a track record and references.

Cracking idea ttm, I'll drop them an email and see where we go from there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 hopwitch

Did I come across as desperate? lol - oops .... sorry .... 51, organically inclined, no 'orrible couch potato teenagers or dependant animals, only a few bad habits and none of those illegal, can provide references and own tools (this is starting to sound desperate even to my ears) - but seriously, I think we could scratch each other's backs without drawing blood - perhaps we could start with a PM or email and take it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

Profuse apologies for the delayed response and many thanks to all respondants both here and also those who have pm'd :)

I'll be over in Mayo for 2 weeks 16th-30th Aug and will be happy to meet anyone interested if they want to pm me some contact info.

Please understand what I'm saying below however, as this will need to be legitamised via a tenancy agreement. Most logical way would be to pay rent as you would normally, but include a clause which ensures I have to refund the agreed amount on completion of work. However, as I've said I'm all ears for other suggestions.
    I'd definately need some form of commitment up front (various ways to do this whether it be financial or not and again, I'm always open to suggestions).

• Advertisement
Advertisement