Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker Spaniels

Options
  • 11-07-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Have you ever owned a cocker spaniel and what was your experience with them. We were thinking of getting a cocker as our next dog when one of our dogs a 16 year old terrier passes away (hopefully not soon). My Mam grew up with cockers and loves them and my Dad loves them too. Any Cocker I have met has been hyper, friendly and loved the kids.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

There's a line of Cocker spaniels that has cocker spaniel rage, apparently. Like they have a gene that makes them aggressive. A vet nurse told me that they are the dog most often brought in to be pts for being aggressive. No idea how to avoid getting a bad one, maybe just going to a good breeder, meeting the parents and seeing if they are friendly?

My friend has one that is a bit aggressive, but her old one was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We had one as kids and he was fantastic, mad, hyper, very friendly and would follow his nose to the end of the earth.
    We ranged in age from 6 to a new born when we got him and he was great with kids, but he didn't do well when left alone for more than an hour or two. It also took a lot of exercise to wear him out, that included us playing show jumping in the garden, and running up and down a three story house playing hide and seek with us.(as well as three walks a day)
    I would highly recommend one, just do a bit of research on health problems and make sure you find a good breeder with nice friendly dogs.
    Our was a blue roan by the way, lovely dog.:)

The cocker rage issue seems to be mainly in the goldens but is being bred out by good breeders so I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

We live in the countryside with a half acre garden and 6 kids, we also like to go camping, walking and hiking so I think the doggie would get enough excercise :) I was wondering what they are like with other animals and small pets? We keep ducks, rabbits, chickens, cats and guinea pigs so obviously we can't have a dog super aggresive towards them. We have two dogs a 16 year old JRT mix and a 1 year old JRT mix and both are fine with all the animals because they were raised with them.

The face that we can't totally enclose our garden either makes it hard, since if the dog really wanted to it could go chasing cows. We make sure to socialize them and introduce them casually to all kinds of farm animals, machinery and people at a young age and it has worked so far.

Well we had netherland dwarf rabbits, a gerbils and a rat, my granny had cats, dogs and a pond. He never bothered with any of the smallies(infact he played with the rabbits, they used to chase him and climb on him) or the pond(which was a bit stinky), but he was raise around these things so was used to it all.

I think if you can't enclose the whole garden it might be best to fence off a section at least so he can be outside alone without the risk of wandering, and supervise him if he's in an area where he could roam, from my experience they would if they got a chance.

Good socialization is the key with any dog really.

Thanks, helped a lot! I wonder if that strain of aggressive Cockers was mostly just from people not socializing their puppies? Anyway, if we do get one, I'll be making sure to find a good, recommended breeder that won't mind us seeing the parents and puppies and asking questions. Not some BYB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have a Working Cocker (among others!), slightly different from the standard Cocker, and love him to bits. He is a lot of hard work - very high energy, eats like a horse, noisy, moody, curious, neurotic and so many more things rolled into just one dog. They have a high chase instinct and will go after anything that moves, will get stuck in hedges (barking all the way!) and are much faster than they look. They will roam if given the chance so fencing off part of your property would be a good idea to stop the dog wondering off.

Most rescues will not home Cockers with young kids because they, as a breed, have a tendency to be a bit snappy sometimes and can be very moody. I have fostered for a charity, have had a few Cockers, and I agree with this. Obviously, there are always exceptions and many are perfectly fine with children as long as they are used to them. My guy is wary of kids, will make an effort to get away but many don't have a high tolerance for children.

"Cocker Rage" (as morganafay mentioned) can lead to very severe behavioural problems including aggression, unprovoked attacks and a very unpredictable dog. Statistically, Cockers are one of the biggest biters so selecting for temperament is crucial.

A good breeder is a must, do your research with regards to breed health and temperament and ask the breeder as many questions as you want - they should be able to answer whatever you want to know, and then some. See mother with the pups, and father if possible, assess them and ask about their personalities etc. Ask for relevant health certs. Socialization is the next big must - expose them to everything and anything you can think of and make it all very positive.

Upkeep wise, they are quite a bit of labor. Grooming, whether professional or at home is a must. They are shedders! Standard show Cockers (American or English) and Working Cockers require a lot of brushing, de tangling etc. because they get a lot of stuff caught in their coat (which is thick, long and a crap magnet!) and will get matted very easily. Skin problems are not uncommon in Cockers so being careful with food, shampoos etc. is a must.

I know I'm making them sound like a very negative breed but they are very loyal, loving and can make brilliant pets if cared for and socialized properly. I don't think they are a first time dog owner dog, just because of the amount of work involved. They are very intelligent and learn quickly, but can be stubborn trying to get what they want. My chap gets on very well with all of my other dogs, a few fight here and there but nothing problematic and can be very narky when new dogs come into the house, but warms to everyone once given time. He is very neurotic, obsessive compulsive and protective of resources (he will guard) so often we need to take control in certain situations. All his negatives could never outweigh his positives, he is such a loving dog with so many great traits and he fits so well into our home. He's just a big softy really.

Sadly no the rage thing seems to be in the lines, I was at a rescue on day and they had a golden cocker who was so sweet and playful, really friendly, but they told me they couldn't rehome her as she could just turn for no reason and attack anything or anyone. They had seen her attack chairs, her food bowl and a member of staff(needed stitches), and a few seconds later she would be back to normal.

But don't let it put you off, any responsible breeders will breed for good temperament so just make sure you meet the dogs parents. If they're family pets they probably have good temperaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have to say ive had lots of breeds while growing up...

and cockers are my favourite! I would recommend a black cocker or blue roan... as from experience golden ones may have attendency to snap from time to time...

They are CRAZY little guys, but have fab personalities and are soooo enjoyable reall familiy dogs.. but they do NEED company... so personally i wouldnt get one and leave him alone all day or leave him/her sleeping outside... they need to a part of the family....!!! easy to train too

Best of luck!! :D

Thanks, it would sleep inside and my Mam doesn't work so she would be here almost all the time except a couple days a week when she goes to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but you need to keep a check on their ears for infection. Mine has really long ears and this, from what I've read, can make them more prone to getting infection, but thankfully mine hasn't had any problem with hers, but I check very frequently. I also read somewhere that their bowls should be long and deep (not round), so that their ears don't go down into the food/water, or you could tie them back.

Also, as already mentioned, they can be a bit hyper, and if they like to jump up, it could be a problem with toddlers, as they're easily knocked over.

• Advertisement

Actually my friend's kinda aggressive one is a golden. I forgot when I was doing work exp. in a vet hospital, there was a lovely blue roan cocker spaniel who had eaten rat poison, he was there all week and I was looking after him every day and he was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. :)

Ditto on looking after the ears, my cavalier has a sore ear that's really waxy and smelly, I trimmed all the hair away from the inside and cleaned it out but I have to take her to the vet today. She also has the worst hearing too, which might be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bonphoenix

I have two cockers, one ordinary show cocker and one working cocker. They are great little characters but our ordinary cocker can be very moody and does not like strangers. She is a golden cocker and I would not trust her with kids. She has her faults but she is incredibly loving and loyal and extremly inteligent.

My working cocker is just the best dog in the world, he has not got a bad bone in his body. He is full of energy and loves a run but when he is at home he is a couch potato. I would trust him with kids, he is so gentle and affectionate and is really funny and adores every dog he meets. I would really recomend getting a working cocker, I very rarely see them aroung though so you may have trouble finding one.

Here is a pic of the two of them on the beach
    DSCF3363.jpg

OH MY GOD... beautiful dogs!! they are fab!!

here's my guy... cockers are the best :D:D:D:D

s1360208713_1133179_9250.jpg

s1360208713_1169014_8428.jpg

They really are a fab breed... they do need lots of excerise, they LOVE to swim and mess about...

Gorgeous dogs guys :)
    By the sounds of it we will be avoiding the Goldens then :) I kind of like that colour, what is it called, liver and white I think?

Gorgeous dogs guys :)
    By the sounds of it we will be avoiding the Goldens then :) I kind of like that colour, what is it called, liver and white I think?

To be honest if you like the golden cockers then go for one... not all problematic... just make sure they are hand reared.. ie the breeder has children and the pups interact with the children, then you should be ok...

With regard to the "rage" thing, some of my friends have golden cockers and have never had an issue.... just research the breeder and you should be fine, im sure there are lots of golden cocker owners who dogs are brillant... maybe get a registered breerder from kennel club...

with regard to the name... i think they are actually called golden... liver ones i think are slightly different... not 100% though!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/englishcocker.htm

http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/index.htm

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/colours.htm

I like liver and white ones too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Most rescues will not home Cockers with young kids because they, as a breed, have a tendency to be a bit snappy sometimes and can be very moody. I have fostered for a charity, have had a few Cockers, and I agree with this. Obviously, there are always exceptions and many are perfectly fine with children as long as they are used to them. My guy is wary of kids, will make an effort to get away but many don't have a high tolerance for children.
    Very much agree with these. We had a golden cocker in the family for 11 years and now have two 3 year old black American cockers and none of hte dogs seemed to instinctually be comfortable with younger kids. All three were (are!) hyper as pups and very high energy and all adore the water -bringing them to the beach has always produced a lot of entertainment!

The moodiness is something that again we've encountered with all the dogs, and we've also found them a little troublesome to train (although that's as likely to be our fault and less to do with dog breed!)

We had trouble with the Golden cocker's eyes and ears, she had bottom eyelids that droop down (apparently a common thing with the breed) so they're susceptible to infection, and one of the black cockers has the same thing.

They're wonderful companions though, and seem to be very sensitive to their owners. I could swear that one of them knows when I'm not in form and she sits at my feet cocking her head back giving me her big browns trying to cheer me up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

hi, we have two cocker spaniels a black and white one and a golden both bitches the b&W one is a so kind and good with kids and everyboby loves her she is now 3 years old but the golden cocker is a different story the moods she gets into. she is friendly but could turn very quick my sister has male golden cocker and he is worse.the vet told me that most not all golden cockers have this streak in them and he would not have them around children now saying that i know a few people with golden cockers and thay are great with kids.we went to puppy training with both dogs and both dogs are treated the same even so the golden turned out this way.we spent a lot of money on training her with no luck in geting the nasty streak out of her.so if you are thinking of getting one just keep in mind you prob have a 50/50 chance of getting a bad one.:)

harr wrote: »
    hi, we have two cocker spaniels a black and white one and a golden both bitches the b&W one is a so kind and good with kids and everyboby loves her she is now 3 years old but the golden cocker is a different story the moods she gets into. she is friendly but could turn very quick my sister has male golden cocker and he is worse.the vet told me that most not all golden cockers have this streak in them and he would not have them around children now saying that i know a few people with golden cockers and thay are great with kids.we went to puppy training with both dogs and both dogs are treated the same even so the golden turned out this way.we spent a lot of money on training her with no luck in geting the nasty streak out of her.so if you are thinking of getting one just keep in mind you prob have a 50/50 chance of getting a bad one.:)

Based on the last few posts from cocker owners and dispite my last few posts maybe you should not consider a golden one for the moment expecially if you have young children.

I can only speak from my direct experience with my own cocker, who is a black male... he is the most loving, affectionate and gentle dog i have ever met... I dont have children myself but i do have neices and nephews.... they are all under 5 and they ADORE him.. they play with him, im sure at times annoy him but he has never so much a grunted at them let alone growled... he is such a gentle soul with a quirky and fab personality.... he lights up my life with his cocker eyes everyday!

I am working on my hubby at getting a blue roan sister for him... but havent convinced him yet... so ill keep trying... :D:D

Best of luck with your decision...

What about a Springer spaniel? They're lovely dogs, can be pretty hyper though :)

Though my vet said that she has come across a few moody Springers, I've read that some Springers also have the rage thing, but much much fewer than Cockers.

The ones I've met have all been really sweet lovely dogs. I had one who was lovely, but really mad, but that's cos we didn't train him or exercise him (got him as kids) and he calmed down after about 3-4 years :D He was completely trustworthy around kids, and would never snap at anyone. One time someone else's dog started a fight with him, and he didn't even fight back, he just sat on the other dog (he was fat then, but then we got him to lose weight!) He was always good around our other dogs and even newborn kittens.

• Advertisement

morganafay wrote: »
    What about a Springer spaniel? They're lovely dogs, can be pretty hyper though :)

Though my vet said that she has come across a few moody Springers, I've read that some Springers also have the rage thing, but much much fewer than Cockers.

The ones I've met have all been really sweet lovely dogs. I had one who was lovely, but really mad, but that's cos we didn't train him or exercise him (got him as kids) and he calmed down after about 3-4 years :D He was completely trustworthy around kids, and would never snap at anyone. One time someone else's dog started a fight with him, and he didn't even fight back, he just sat on the other dog (he was fat then, but then we got him to lose weight!) He was always good around our other dogs and even newborn kittens.

He sounds like such a dote :D

Never had a springer, would love one... will have to wait until i convinence my other half to get another dog... my cocker was hyper and CRAZY up until the age of 2 really... now at 5 he's totally chilled out ... sometimes i wish i could see him MENTAL again even for a day... :p

cocker5 wrote: »
    He sounds like such a dote :D

He was. :) Really good with kids, except that he'd knock us over and used to try to pull down people's pants! (elastic waisted leggings were popular then . . . )

morganafay wrote: »
    He was. :) Really good with kids, except that he'd knock us over and used to try to pull down people's pants! (elastic waisted leggings were popular then . . . )

cheeky git :D:D:D

i think most spaniels have quirky personalities... when my cocker was a pup i used to play lots football with him.. when he could get the ball he would tug at the back of my trousers when i would turn around he would look at me with the confused expression "what?? Its wasnt me" this would go on and on until he got the ball... total brat :eek::eek:

No he's 5 and if he doesnt get the ball within 2 mins he storms off to chew his bone... if he doesnt get his way.. he's off!

Aww I definitely have to get a Cocker :) We had a springer when I was very young, but at the time we lived in a housing estate and not out in the countryside and the poor dog was going mad, he couldn't be walked enough and the small house and back garden allowed no excercise at all for him. My Dad ended up giving him to a friend who was a farmer, so he could run around to his heart's content. A springer would work where we live now but the parents have their heart set on a cocker. I really like the liver and white colour, also blue roan, black, black and white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Where can I learn more about Working Cockers ?
    We have a 3 yr old black nuetered Normal Cocker.
    We intend to introduce a new dog when she is about 5 and our impending arrival is a little older.
    Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

We have a black 2 1/2 year old cocker bitch and she's an adorable little monkey. Not a shred of aggression in her except when some dogs get too close to her (sniffing her derriere)and it's more like a "Get away from me" more than anything else.

They've endless energy which is great for me as I'm trying to regain my fitness this summer! :D

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php is a forum that has lots about working and show cocker spaniels. http://www.felsteadgundogs.com/workingcockerspanielsaspets.htm

Dont be put of by the fact that alot of people say they are much more active then ordinary cockers as we have found that this is not really the case as long as you give them a good off lead run everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Biker3

I have a 2 year old black cocker girl and she is the friendliest dog you could ever meet. She loves to swim and run and is equally happy being a couch potato :)

Ps Bonphoenix - If I'm not mistaken your dog won this years best puppy pic on the cockers online photo competition

He did indeed.

A pic of him with his prize, looking a bit unimpressed
    DSCF3400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shaunsweb

Hi all,

I have just been reading this thread with interest and indeed surprise at the comments in relation to the temperament of Golden Cockers and with your indulgence I would like to convey my experience to you.

I have a Golden Cocker who is 8 years old and a nicer dog you couldn't find anywhere. Was purchased from a reputable breeder in Co. Kilkenny, trained on a farm and is a now domestic pet. He has a great temperament and is very tolerant of the most hyper kids I have ever come across and gentle with younger kids. I would trust him with children of all ages as he loves people and just wants to nuzzle up to them to be introduced. He also doesn't eat any furniture or has any bad habbits (thank god!)

A neighbour of mine also had golden cockers and one of her dogs actually helped one of her kids to take it's first steps. The boy grabbed it's coat and pulled himself up and the dog walked around very slowly.

Not all golden cockers are bad temperament but I would agree, they need to be purchased from a reputable source, socialised early, trained well and you will have years of enjoyable and loyal company. We were a bit strict with him in his first year (no eating slippers etc) but it has paid dividends since then.

My dog is part of the family and we won't have it any other way. Treat them well and you will always be rewarded

thanks for your patience and for reading this

s

Advertisement