Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker Spaniels

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I would agree with shaunsweb, my golden cocker is the most gentle dog i have ever met around people and children especially. I would trust her 100% with my small nieces and nephews, and she is very protective of them, She loves nothing more than plonking herself down beside the kids when they are playing, and will quite happily trot around the house after them. Bear in mind that she is now nearly 13 and practically blind and the hearing is pretty bad, so you would expect her to be easily startled, but she just takes it all in her stride. The only time she ever displays aggressive behaviour is towards the cat when he tries to eat her food, and even that is just barking until he has left the area. She's full of personality, and extremely affectionate and loyal.

I did have a black cocker who was a few months older than her(unfortunately she had to be PTS as a result of cancer), and tbh as much as i loved her(she was my favourite) i would never trust her with small children as she was extremely volatile, and liable to snap in a split second. Both dogs were from the same breeder and were closely related, but were like chalk and cheese in their personalities.

Golden Cockers do have a higher incidence of Cocker Rage, but it can affect all cockers. The best you can do is thoroughly research your dog, and breeder, check both parents and train your pup well. They are inquisitive, energetic and easily bored so you need to train them well and exercise and stimulate them, or you will end up with a nightmare on your hands!! But i have to say, of all the dogs I've had, i would consider cockers to be up there in my top two breeds of dogs to own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I would agree but am also biased as the proud owner of 9mth old cocker puppy who has the most fantastic comical personality!

Cocker rage is extremely rare - much more rare that people think but can't remember the exact statistic my vet gave me. I think it is like any breed that some bad owners give the breed a bad name as in the dogs aren't trained properly and when something happens blame it on cocker rage :rolleyes: much like all the hype about RB...

I was saying on another thread that I can't vouch for my dog with kids as I don't really know any kids to introduce her to which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I have a 12 year old Golden Cocker, we have him since he was just under a year old. He is very gentle and placid, but like any dog, extremely excitable. He hasnt slowed down too much with age!

He didnt grow up with small kids, so he is not too used to them. But he is around children aged between 1 and 6 years old from time to time, in our home, and there has never been a cross look or anything from him. He just has a sniff, and either lies on the floor or in his bed. But because he was not reared with small kids, we do keep a very close eye on him, but try not to let him or the children sense any kind of worry. And as I say, there has never been a problem.

The only thing I would suggest if that if kids are around a Cocker, or any dog with long hair, is to keep them very well groomed at all times, as all it takes is for a childs hand, and even an adults, to get caught in the hair and pull on the dog, and this could cause some distress to both dog and human! I get my dog groomed every 3 months and he gets brushed daily, but even I can get my hair caught in a little knot and he jumps.

They are very active dogs, even in their twilight years, but they are well worth it.....even the hairs everywhere and smell of wet dog after the beach!

jake red sox 031.jpg

pix 004.jpg

holidays 08 028.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dali art

Can anyone recommend someone to get a good Black Cocker Spaniel from? I went to view one this evening and wasn't happy.
    Galway/Mayo/Sligo/Roscommon area
    PM me please with recommendations thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Dali art wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend someone to get a good Black Cocker Spaniel from? I went to view one this evening and wasn't happy.
    Galway/Mayo/Sligo/Roscommon area
    PM me please with recommendations thanks

oh right, what was wrong? was it the conditions the dog was kept in or how it gone on with your dog/child?

• Advertisement
Advertisement