Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Vonnegut

Options
  • 11-07-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Thoughts? :pac:

Slaughterhouse 5 is one of my favourite books. I think the central theme - that you aren't really in control of your destiny - is brought out in an exquisite manner. It's described as sci-fi, but I don't think it really is because the sci-fi in it is only a means to an end, only a way by which Vonnegut can make his point.

I've also read Breakfast of Champions, which is similar and also funny, but I don't think it's that good. And then I read God Bless You Mr Rosewater, which I thought was pretty bad. The society in it was completely over-exaggerated and the plot lacked any thing resembling direction or coherence. I wasn't surprised when I found out it started as a collection of short stories. Very very poor man's Babbitt, to be honest. :D

I might read Cat's Cradle, because he's still a witty author, it's a bitty Mr Rosewater turned me off of him. (I picked the user name before I read it!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

About ten years ago I read Bluebeard, and loved it. I must have picked up a copy of Slaughterhouse shortly afterwards and, whatever frame of mind I was in at the time, it didn't appeal to me and I didn't bother reading it. Almost a decade on, I've forgotten nearly everything about Bluebeard... :o Maybe I should simply go back and reread it...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I enjoyed Slaughterhouse 5 too. The only other Vonnegut book i've read is Galapagos, which i thought was no-way near the same quality as Slaughterhouse. Some great moments in it, but I found it a bit of a downer overall, whereas the person who loaned it to me thought it was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I enjoyed Slaughterhouse 5 too. The only other Vonnegut book i've read is Galapagos, which i thought was no-way near the same quality as Slaughterhouse. Some great moments in it, but I found it a bit of a downer overall, whereas the person who loaned it to me thought it was great!

sirens of titan is excellent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

love them all to be honest, it's been a few years since I read them and I got most of them from the library so I don't have them anymore.. but I enjoyed every one of his books alot.

slaughterhouse 5 was the first i'd read so it's got a special place in my heart as my favourite, but outside of that emotional attachment im not sure I could pick between them. Would happily read any of them.

the movie for slaughterhouse 5 wasn't completely terrible either. I'd imagine it wouldnt make a great deal of sense if you hadn't read the book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've only read Slaughterhouse 5, but I really enjoyed it, and I enjoy it more on each re-reading.

I intend on reading more, but haven't as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Slaughterhouse 5, Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan, and Cat's Cradle are probably his most well known and acclaimed (and all worth reading I'd say). Bluebeard and Mothernight are excellent aswell, perhaps my two favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I've read Cat's Cradle. I couldn't get into it but I was 15 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Liked Slaughterhouse 5 but really thought Cat's Cradle was rubbish, never really went back to him after that. It just seemed really lifeless compared to Slaughterhouse 5, so it goes.

Advertisement