Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power supply, brand important?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My HIPER 580W power supply has just failed. (after 3 years and 3 months..... on a 3 year warranty :( )

SOOO.... I need a new PSU

I was looking on komplett for one and the ones I have in mind are in the 80 - 120 quid price bracket. mainly:
    corsair, thermaltake, and zalman.

can anyone vouch for these brands or tell me if there is one i should avoid or prefer?

also, kindest to my budget is an AXP 750W power supply? should I be avoiding this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

can you list ur pc specs and do u overclock cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

sure,

mobo: Asus p5q Deluxe
    cpu: e6600 (OC'd from 2.4Ghz to 3.4Ghz, 24/7)
    Gpu: EVGA 260 (core 216), overclocked also
    ram: 4gb (2 modulues) of PC8500, overclocked
    storage: x3 samsung F1's
    fans: 5 case fans (3 with led's)

I know coolermaster are known for their cases, but PSU's???

I dont mind spending a little more to ensure that I have a quality PSU, after-all, a PSU can last you a good long time. I just dont want to cheap out and get a crap one that's gonna be ineffecient and unstable

but i definatly do like the addition of modular cabling.

much neater and keeps componants cooler as a result

• Advertisement

actually, i'm really liking the look of that PSU. think i might just go for it. thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I can recommend this 750W Corsair, its overkill for what You need but it'll last You through upgrades in future. Its got 4x 6+2pin pci-e connectors (twice what coolermaster has) which would allow for Crossfire or Sli in future. Not modular though, but that may not matter depending on what case You've got. Corsair make great psu's, silent too. I got the 850W model

yeah i'd like to go for that one. It is 30 quid more expensive though, and I am quite broke at the moment :P

I'd go for it, but I dunno can I justify the increase in price over say the coolermaster one now?

EDIT: also, I have a piece of **** case which I have butchered to pieces to get maximum airflow.

yeah i'd like to go for that one. It is 30 quid more expensive though, and I am quite broke at the moment :P

I'd go for it, but I dunno can I justify the increase in price over say the coolermaster one now?

Edited my post while u were typing
    Its got 4x 6+2pin pci-e connectors (twice what coolermaster has) which would allow for Crossfire or Sli in future

thats true, but I really don't think id be inclined to go for sli though. I tend to do whatever with old GPU's and just get a single new high end one.

ya reckon i'd be better off with the coolermaster in that case?

• Advertisement

Coolermasters fine, don't know much about them though

ya... im the same tbh. Never even heard an opinion about their power supplies. I shall do some googleing. thanks though!

Advertisement