Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charged for hot water 2 heat a baby's bottle in cork airport

Options
  • 11-07-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bitemeback

hi
    could anyone plz advised me, as to whether it is legal/ illegal to charge 60 cent for hotwater in a cardboard cup, as im so bloody annoyed over this, i totally understand that the cups cost money, but we dont pay water rates, so how can subway justify this charge.:mad:

rip off ireland / cork 2 votes

consumer rights
    0%
    rip off ireland
    100%
    Head_Hunterthe groutch 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Actually, I think businesses still have to pay water charges to their local authority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thats just mean, simple as that.

Yes the cup costs money, the kettle costs money, the staff cost money, but FFS, its for a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chrisi

why am i not suprised.. only in ireland eh?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

To be honest with you I don't see why you're complaining... it's only 60c.
    Any company with a concession in an airport has massive overheads so every product sold and every customer interaction has to result in profit, they're a company, not a charity. It's not rip off Ireland, it's commerce.

Before you start, we have a 9 week old, if we go somewhere we go prepared, rather than expecting strangers to subsidise our child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Yes the cup costs money, the kettle costs money, the staff cost money, but FFS, its for a child.

Using that argument, would you insist that clothes/blankets/shoes for children should be free as well?

• Advertisement

Get a grip. I own a shop. I wouldnt dream of charging someone for hot water to feed a baby. Its only a few cents. This is just plain mean.

Whats food and clothes got to do with obliging someone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Expect to pay at least double that when terminal 2 opens at Dublin Airport in November. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You're lucky they're obliging you at all - a lot of restaurants and cafes refuse to heat baby food in a microwave or provide hot water for the parent to heat it because if parent doesn't test the temperature of the food and he/she or baby get a burn they will go chasing compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I think the cups are counted and the staff have to account for all of them.
    Thus if a cup/several cups are unaccounted for versus the till roll/EPOS, the staff could be in trouble. There are free refills in Subway, in Dublin anyway, so they just sell you an empty cup, with the beverage machine outside the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

rip off ireland
    I think you got a bargain, other people would have been charged 2 or 3 quid for the same with a teabag, or a few coffee granules sitting in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

bitemeback wrote: »
    hi
    could anyone plz advised me, as to whether it is legal/ illegal to charge 60 cent for hotwater in a cardboard cup, as im so bloody annoyed over this, i totally understand that the cups cost money, but we dont pay water rates, so how can subway justify this charge.:mad:

Its not illegal, you didn't have to buy it.

Nobody has to do anything for you for 'free' unless its specifically stated that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jkiss

What's the poll about? What forum the thread should be in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

could anyone plz advised me, as to whether it is legal/ illegal to charge 60 cent for hotwater in a cardboard cup,

Legal, why wouldn't it be?
    but we dont pay water rates, so how can subway justify this charge.:mad:

First, businesses do pay water rates, second, they also pay electricity or gas rates to heat the water, staff to serve it, rent to the owner of the property where they serve it, public liability insurance in case you spill the water and either scald someone or cause them to slip, and so on. That's just some of how they can justify a rather small charge for a cup of hot water.

Poll closed, as it's ridiculously pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think you got a bargain, other people would have been charged 2 or 3 quid for the same with a teabag, or a few coffee granules sitting in it
    +1
    I wouldnt dream of charging someone for hot water to feed a baby. Its only a few cents.
    The granules or teabag are only a few cent too, if I had some sob story or emotive "think of the children! blackmail" I would still count myself very lucky to get some sort of discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

so what's the cut off point?

The parents are adults and well-capable of either coming prepared or paying a small 60c.
    Throwing in a sob story or "please think of the children" does not and should not entitle you to whatever you want for free!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

so what's the cut off point?

(Age of children) + 1 yr.

In all our years of travelling with the kids we never had a bottle warmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

, but we dont pay water rates, .:mad:

water rates & commercial rate - the bane of business in Ireland.

Example - water rates for a ordinary store that does not use water for commercial means = €1000+ in many areas.

Water rates for any type of bar / restaurant / coffee shop = €10,000 ++++

Though charging for hot water to warm a babies bottle is a bit mean - but then the other side is some people would abuse it if it was free and without knowing the policy on cup counting in a subway, its difficult to pass judgement.

If you handed in a cup and ask for your cup to be filled I'm sure there would have been no charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lets see
    - business has to pay for power to heat the water
    - they have to pay somebody to serve it
    - They have to wash what the water is served in
    - business pays water rates

Would you go into a place and look for hot water to make your own tea with a tea bag and expect the water for free?

So how exactly are they not entitled to charge?

Pointless thread tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Get a grip. I own a shop. I wouldnt dream of charging someone for hot water to feed a baby. Its only a few cents. This is just plain mean.

Whats food and clothes got to do with obliging someone?

How many people in a day coming up constitutes only a few cent? In the airport it's not inconcevable that 50-100 could potentially be looking for water. !a few cent" x 50 x 7 days = a good few quid. At what stage does being nice to people that are probably not spending any money with you turn in to losing a good chunk of money and acceptable to charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

Stekelly wrote: »
    How many people in a day coming up constitutes only a few cent? In the airport it's not inconcevable that 50-100 could potentially be looking for water. !a few cent" x 50 x 7 days = a good few quid. At what stage does being nice to people that are probably not spending any money with you turn in to losing a good chunk of money and acceptable to charge?

FWIT, i agree. If you've spent a few bob then it might be free, if you walk in to the top of the queue asking for hot water in a cup, well then it might cost you..biz is biz etc....the fair play bit only comes in I feel when you've put something their way....if they don't then they're probably being a bit mean spirited....

All in all, it often comes down to how you ask (and unfortunately, sometimes, the nationality of the person you're asking).......and also unfortunately, they're experience in the past...(if they get nuked for this type of thing all the time, well then they're patience and good spirit might be worn out a bit...) Think Dublin Zoo for example....! A lot of places actually charge for the cup (Heuston Station coffee and smoothie shops for example)

Whats the cut off point? How long is a piece of string?

I still think its just plain mean.

If someone comes into me and buys anadin as they have a headache, I offer them a glass of water out of courtesy.

I dont think of the water rates, or the wages. Its feck all really.

However, if someone expected me to give them some milk, and heat it, then they can feck off. I do have people coming in and TAKING cups from my coffee machine for their own personal use and they get very peed off when I charge them for them, but hey, I have to buy them, so so do they.

But its nice to be nice. Perhaps its the different mentality between being a small local store and a massive chain where every decision is based on head office policies

I do have people coming in and TAKING cups from my coffee machine for their own personal use and they get very peed off when I charge them for them, but hey, I have to buy them, so so do they.

But it's only a few cent........

Stekelly wrote: »
    But it's only a few cent........

How much is a branded double wall coffee cup wholesale?

Any idea?

And do you think I should give one away to someone who hasnt bought anything?

How much is a branded double wall coffee cup wholesale?

Any idea?

And do you think I should give one away to someone who hasnt bought anything?

Ahem!

You wont give away a cup but the place in the airport should give a cup and heat water to fill it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bluewolf wrote: »
    The parents are adults and well-capable of either coming prepared or paying a small 60c.
    Throwing in a sob story or "please think of the children" does not and should not entitle you to whatever you want for free!

Let's just cut to the chase and say we don't like babies and/or kids in this country.

Mainland Europe? Not a problem.

Here? Cue much throwing of hands in the air and invoking commercial rent rates/insurance premiums/public safety issues.

...also add to the mix the various indignant rants of singletons decrying why parent and child parking spaces are made available and their moral right to claim said spaces.

You know what? At the end of the day your mum had to actually struggle you around the place with you as a truculent baby and I doubt she had it easy back in 1980/1990-whateveryourhavingyourself.

So be a little considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Let's just cut to the chase and say we don't like babies and/or kids in this country.

Here? Cue much throwing of hands in the air and invoking commercial rent rates/insurance premiums/public safety issues.

...also add to the mix the various indignant rants of singletons decrying why parent and child parking spaces are made available and their moral right to claim said spaces.

You know what? At the end of the day your mum had to actually struggle you around the place with you as a truculent baby and I doubt she had it easy back in 1980/1990-whateveryourhavingyourself.

It's not a problem in mainland Europe as most mothers breastfeed, Ireland has the lowest rates of breastfeeding in Europe.

I wouldn't give a damn about the cost of the water or the cup but I wouldn't give out water or heat a bottle in a microwave on health and safety grounds.
    We're too quick to jump on the compo bandwagon and that includes parents with babies.

There's insulated bottle bags for heating/cooling that you can pick up for about a tenner in a nursery store. Any parent with a bit of foresight that are going travelling will buy these.
    And our parents "back in the day" wouldn't have made such a fuss about heating a bottle. You would be given it cold and it would do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Actually .. thinking about it they treat my dog better on the continent than they treat kids/babies in Ireland.

Dog:
    European Passport: 8 euros - Can travel to Ireland, UK pretty easily (once shots are up to date)
    Can Travel on buses, trains, trams for free, regional KLM flights on your lap.
    Gets free water and doggie treats in most stores.
    Health insurance costs 35 euros for the year.
    Gets taken to a compound for 3 hours a day for exercise and training (thats about 7 quid a day but well worth it) ..
    Can go pretty much anywhere, except 2 large supermarket chains, where you can only bring your small dog in your arms or leave at the doggy tie up area outside.

How many stores in Ireland would give free water and treats for your Kids :P
    Dutch are also mental about giving out Coffee and Tea to people as part of the shopping experience.

I'm being perfectly considerate, but 60c is a reasonable charge, and I'm sure my mother would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Actually .. thinking about it they treat my dog better on the continent than they treat kids/babies in Ireland.

Dog:
    European Passport: 8 euros - Can travel to Ireland, UK pretty easily (once shots are up to date)
    Can Travel on buses, trains, trams for free, regional KLM flights on your lap.
    Gets free water and doggie treats in most stores.
    Health insurance costs 35 euros for the year.
    Gets taken to a compound for 3 hours a day for exercise and training (thats about 7 quid a day but well worth it) ..
    Can go pretty much anywhere, except 2 large supermarket chains, where you can only bring your small dog in your arms or leave at the doggy tie up area outside.

How many stores in Ireland would give free water and treats for your Kids :P
    Dutch are also mental about giving out Coffee and Tea to people as part of the shopping experience.

you can get a child hooker in thailand for $5, should we copy them too?

Advertisement