Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C16 - Limbo List

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Take C8 which was the last complete campaign as of 2009. There were 1981 who applied and of those only 103 were appointed* (0.05%)
    If the overall cost was c£10,000 per applicant the cost of C8 would have been £19,810,000, this would result in mass civil unrest amongst the tax-paying folk I'd imagine :D

Or, 103 * £10,000 = £103,000. Which I think is more feasible. Granted IST, AC sessions and Consensia admin fee's would be significant, I couldn't see the medical (for example) costing more than say £250; effictively a physical and a glorified haircut. :rolleyes:

*It is not known if 'Appointed' refers to those candidates who were attested into the service or appointed to PSNI as Student Officers at Garnerville, although personally I take it to mean 'Attested'

-TV

EDIT: to add, I really don't have a clue but the £10,000 is obviously a very ball figure which would fluctuate from year to year and would be an overall cost of the total campaign worked out into a cost for x appointed constables. The view the public would likely take is "You had a campaign this year, how many officers were appointed and based on the this what was the total cost for each appointment"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

delancey42 wrote: »
    Not only is there vetting and medicals but the very substantial cost of Deloitte's services which I would imagine don't come cheap plus hire of premises for IST and AC , etc.

I think the £10,000 figure is the cost of each successful candidate and includes cost of unsuccessful ones .
    Example - 1,000 apply , total cost of campaign/recruitment process is £1,000,000 - that's a thousand per candidate , 100 appointed which means £10,000 per appointed candidate.
    Hope you can follow that :confused:

Nice maths. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

You certainly explain it better than me TV .

I think the medical is a lot more than 250 - I believe the SMT is quite expensive for instance , I understand that if an applicant wishes to appeal a failed SMT result they can expect to pay up to £500 for an independent test of the second sample - that figure came from a pretty reliable source.

Sorry, just to add there that the figures I have quoted are total female applicants only, so say what a third of the grand total? (Using a very approximate rule of thumb and not sexism before I get slaughtered!):)

Delancey, never would thought the SMT to be so expensive; clearly im applying for the wrong job! :D:D

- tv

• Registered Users Posts: 42 c1964

I love the way you simplify everything Delancey, pure brilliance on your part. Keep up the great work :D

I can assume that there is nothing going on until the new year, as I hear they don't do Decembers

Just had a look around, there was an intake in December 2008 so its not unheard of at all. Allowing four weeks notice from call to start, calls could technically not go out for another 3 weeks. (I believe last Dec intake started shortly after Christmas)

Hope that puts some peoples minds to rest!

- tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

That's mad! Mine cost nothing. My GP was pretty good about it though. I'll keep my thoughts positive for an intake soon! At least he forum is jumpin!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ItShouldBeMe

C16 calls have started for those of you who havent been looking at the other forums! Have a look at "stage 5- Im in"! Congrats to all those who have or are about to receive the call!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ash1008

I got the March 2011 letter, but I've still had no mention of vetting or medical yet! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 urbantiger

NRC, decent merit number, medical passed, vetting ongoing last time I checked but a relative has just moved house so I'm assuming that will hold things back a bit.
    Couldn't focus for the couple of days last week the calls were going out!
    I'm assuming that if intakes are approximately 5-6 weeks apart that we can expect more calls going out in about 5-6 weeks time?
    I know we can only guess but has that been the norm before?
    I'm dying with anticipation, as I'm sure many of you are.
    Can't wait to get meeting some of you guys if all goes well.
    Any congrats to everyone who got a call or a pack last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone got any further letters from the PSNI?

Got one in today, and maybe I was just a bit psychic when the "March 2011" letter came. But it would appear that there is a conflict with my community background. Unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to ring them and find out what this is all about, because as far as I'm aware I have always been from the same community background.

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone got any further letters from the PSNI?

Got one in today, and maybe I was just a bit psychic when the "March 2011" letter came. But it would appear that there is a conflict with my community background. Unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to ring them and find out what this is all about, because as far as I'm aware I have always been from the same community background.

Pure speculation here - is it possible that you listed a former school that seems unlikely for someone of your background to have attended ?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

Pure speculation here - is it possible that you listed a former school that seems unlikely for someone of your background to have attended ?

X2 maybe said you were RC but went to a NRC school or lived in an area which just makes them query it

Thank God for that, same line of thought as me. Here's hoping that is the case, yes went to a secondary school which is mainly seen as NRC.

My parents thought I would make more of my life with the education I could get from that school as the entry into the RC grammar schools ruled me out with my eleven plus grade.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

Dont we fill in the community background stuff when we apply?
    It took them a long time to look at this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭catweasel10

Thank God for that, same line of thought as me. Here's hoping that is the case, yes went to a secondary school which is mainly seen as NRC.

My parents thought I would make more of my life with the education I could get from that school as the entry into the RC grammar schools ruled me out with my eleven plus grade.

Cheers

This happened to a friend of mine and I think he had to send in his baptismal certificate to confirm that he is RC as his primary and secondary were controlled schools. If you don't have it at home, whichever church you were baptized in should be able to give you a replacement.

Kizwiz wrote: »
    Dont we fill in the community background stuff when we apply?
    It took them a long time to look at this!

Yeah the letter says that they wait to see if you get to the merit pool before chasing up the details. I suppose it saves them time when they have lower numbers to look at.

This happened to a friend of mine and I think he had to send in his baptismal certificate to confirm that he is RC as his primary and secondary were controlled schools. If you don't have it at home, whichever church you were baptized in should be able to give you a replacement.

Good advice, will probably get a copy of all church related stuff just encase.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 numpty80

I have received the same letter - and- yes all you need is to document your background. Nice ladies working there explained that this is nothing to worry about

It would seem mine is slightly different, Consensia may have made an administration error. Previous application saying I was NRC back at the start of the whole mass recruitment.

The very nice and helpful lady I talked to, said she had already thought there was an error but they assured her there was not.

Will hear soon enough what the outcome is, but provided the error is sorted my application will not be on hold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 monty156a

Withdrew from the campaign today for health reasons unfortunately. Just wanted to say good luck to all of you in the process and if you are successful I hope you find the career as rewarding as I'm told it is.

With kindest regards,

monty156a sorry to hear that, must be really hard when the decision is out of your control.

Hope all is well in the future.

Thanks for the good wishes Monty and very sorry to hear your news - is it a ' permanent ' withdrawal or might you be applying if recruitment starts again in the future ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 monty156a

I'll definately be trying again in the future, its just not the right time for me right now. I was bizzarely hoping I wouldn't be called until next year but I was called for medical and wasn't that confident of the right result the way things stood.

I'd rather go back and apply again when I stood a fighting chance, I've got a good job which is more than most have so I don't feel too disappointed. To be honest its my first time applying and I never expected to get this far at the first attempt.

This board is a great source of both information and support for applicants and its value can not be underestimated.

Many thanks to you all.

At last my community background has been confirmed!

Application off hold, medical yesterday morning, still in the running. :rolleyes:
    Chance will be a fine thing merit over 900, but still in it, always be hopeful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

Hi folks.

8 weeks since I sent my vetting forms away. My sister had 11 different address and I had 5. Is it to early to find out what stage my vetting is at?

If I was going to fail would I have heard by now.

Does anybody have the email address to enquire about vetting?

Would say you will probably be waiting a while longer to hear back, vetting aren't keen on people emailing at the minute. People are getting told not too when they do because it slows up all the processing by having to reply to the emails. You will here from them if you fail, other than that if you pass it will be forwarded to appointments.

Will PM you the email anyway, you will need to quote UID in it if you send them one.

johnnyf1 wrote: »
    Hi folks.

8 weeks since I sent my vetting forms away. My sister had 11 different address and I had 5. Is it to early to find out what stage my vetting is at?

If I was going to fail would I have heard by now.

Does anybody have the email address to enquire about vetting?

In terms of Vetting 8 weeks is nothing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭johnnyf1

Thanks for that. Will wait until I do the PCA. Worry about one thing at a time.

Advertisement