Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M & S - Douglas`?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Is there any more talk of M & S coming to Douglas. there was ages ago, but I heard nothing recently. I love the parking facility in douglas - so much easier than "paying" in Merchants Quay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No. Think the the owners of the new Douglas Shopping Center development drove them out with High rent and poor contractual condition.

They have driven alot of business out of the place and have not attracted any new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

My partner works in M&S and it is still supposed to be goin ahead towards the end of the year in october/november.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

It would be a great addition to Douglas.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Hogzy wrote: »
    No. Think the the owners of the new Douglas Shopping Center development drove them out with High rent and poor contractual condition.

They have driven alot of business out of the place and have not attracted any new business.

Hogzy can you provide anything to back these claims up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'll echo Hogzy. A close friend of mine is in a unit there, and he's despairing at the moment. Rents weren't dropped when the construction was happening, and most of the businesses there suffered. There are plenty of vacant units in the shopping centre, and in his opinion, without Tesco, there wouldn't be any footfall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

Similarly, I spoke to someome working there during the neverending revamp expecting that the rents were reduced during the mess. I was told that the rents were actually increased during the period although business was down hugely - you'd practically needed a hard hat to get in to the place. That being said, the new car park is great now - once you can negotiate the ridiculous entrance ramp! How did the great designer/architects of our time come up with that little beauty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

PcAngel wrote: »
    Is there any more talk of M & S coming to Douglas. there was ages ago, but I heard nothing recently. I love the parking facility in douglas - so much easier than "paying" in Merchants Quay.

enjoy it while you can, it was said as soon as building was complete they were charging entry to the new car park, afaik they are waiting to fill a few units first and then barriers will be added and charging will begin, Dunnes car park are planning a simular multistory/charging system too...

if it wasn't for the post office nobody would go there, the pensioners were their biggest draw on weekdays and pension days!

M & S probally will move into the units being built down by the bank of ireland side though! it looks big enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

enjoy it while you can, it was said as soon as building was complete they were charging entry to the new car park, afaik they are waiting to fill a few units first and then barriers will be added and charging will begin, Dunnes car park are planning a simular multistory/charging system too...

if it wasn't for the post office nobody would go there, the pensioners were their biggest draw on weekdays and pension days!

M & S probally will move into the units being built down by the bank of ireland side though! it looks big enough!

If Douglas shopping centre ever introduced paying at the car park the worst thing Douglas court could do is introduce the same. As soon as Douglas shopping centre introduced the payment everyone would head straight back accross the road to the open arms of Dunnes. If people still wanted to go to Tesco they could go to Wilton and still park for free - it would be a bad mistake that would be reversed in a matter of months.

What they should do in Douglas shopping centre is put in the barriers but have a parking ticket validation system at the shops instead - this might stop some of the parking by non customers.

I know this is totally off topic - sorry!

I hope M&S does come to Douglas.

dodger50 wrote: »
    once you can negotiate the ridiculous entrance ramp! How did the great designer/architects of our time come up with that little beauty?

What's wrong with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

murphym7 wrote: »
    If Douglas shopping centre ever introduced paying at the car park the worst thing Douglas court could do is introduce the same.

Both developments are owned by the same people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

oeb wrote: »
    Both developments are owned by the same people.

Gotcha - didn't know that. Would the anchor tenant have any input in that decision - for example could Dunnes Stores object in such a way as to change the landlords mind? I know it would take a lot for Dunnes to move out of Douglas but do they have any threats/influence in their back pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Gotcha - didn't know that. Would the anchor tenant have any input in that decision - for example could Dunnes Stores object in such a way as to change the landlords mind? I know it would take a lot for Dunnes to move out of Douglas but do they have any threats/influence in their back pocket?

I would be very surprised if they had no input, but to be honest, where else would they go? Every other area around cork can support a supermarket of that type already has one. And there are only two developments in Douglas that could support a retail outlet of that type, and they are both owned by the same company anyway.

castie wrote: »
    Hogzy can you provide anything to back these claims up?

There are numerous newspaper articles on it. I remember the Evening Echo and Douglas Weekly had articles on it. Cork News had something on it afaik. On my phone at the mo so it would take ages to find links. Ill try get some when i get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

What they should do in Douglas shopping centre is put in the barriers but have a parking ticket validation system at the shops instead - this might stop some of the parking by non customers.

that is a better idea but from what i hear around the place the management are too concerned with making money then where the customers go...they own both centres and thus if you shop in douglas you are supporting them!

if M&S do come to douglas, then chances are people are more likely to pay and park there then head into town as long as they undercut the likes of merchants quay, the customers will come...their only problem is they don't have the shops to draw people in yet, so i can see them fighting to get the likes of M & S and pennys in, and now that tesco's is empty everyones going to dunnes, making that the favourate to make money for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

fecking tesco, i needed 5 items on saturday night i took 2 tescos to get them:mad:

m&s would be great in douglas i think it would do well there, there is only one product that i buy in tesco that dunnes dont stock, if they charge me for parking i could do without it tbh,
    (ken hom meal btw)

there is always a parking spot in douglas court, i dont see any reason why they would build a multi storey?

and the entrance is a disaster i saw a range rover the other day that barely made the turn in, its way to narrow!

The entrance is fine, honestly, the problem is folks who don't know how wide their car actually is & who are p1ss poor at driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I love the entrance. It's like being on a rollercoaster for cars. If you can't manage that, you should hand back your car, insurance, and get a stannah stairlift.

and get a stannah stairlift.

...or a taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I love the entrance. It's like being on a rollercoaster for cars. If you can't manage that, you should hand back your car, insurance, and get a stannah stairlift.

Foot down going up the bends is great fun alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it was a blond in a range rover that barely made the turn:eek:
    im well able to drive and i still think its a bit narrow, just the turn in, flying up the ramp is great fun, until you remember the security guard to the left:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

It's a bit like Monte Carlo but narrower and uphill. Great fun! Still hope M & S come to Douglas!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

I think the ramp is great fun too :) Although I think they should have an easier way to get up to level 2 rather than traversing the whole of level 1. Level 2 is always really quite, much easier to park and much easier to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I am always saying I wish M&S would go to a suburban location. I wouldn't pay for parking in Douglas. Any shop should validate your parking if you spend a certain amount.

Advertisement