Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeedKiller

Options
  • 11-07-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I have a problem with weeds in my back garden. I live in a rented house, a few years back the landlord put down the black plastic stuff over the lawn and covered it with stones to stop weeds/grass growing. However it was not done right and there is quite a lot of weeds and grass growing through. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good weed killer to use on it. I will be doing it my self and dont want to mess around mixing things. I'm looking for simple straight forward efficitve and will not kill the cats

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Hi

I had a similar problem recently and had difficulty finding one that wouldnt harm the kitty either.

Weedol Rootkill Plus Spray (red bottle) - Homebase have it for €7.99 but seen it in Tesco the other day for €4. Takes about 2 days for first results to show, but apply a second spraying after about 4 days and it nukes them. Harmful to cats for a few days.

Resolva 24 Hour Weedkill Plus (blue bottle) - Same price. This stuff is amazing, it actually does kill the weed and the root in 24 hours. Not harmful to animals when it's dry - basically 6 hours after application. Keep the cat indoors for a day - spray on a dry day (you'll have to retreat if it rains within 6 hours of application), soak the leaves and bob's your uncle. Will take about 3 days for total kill and you can enjoy a weed free garden. Oh and it kills grass also - the above one doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

What about Roundup? Would it work on the plastic? The cat is next-doors. Should I tell them so they can keep it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Roundup is safe with pets. Check your liner, some of the cheaper grades have a very limited lifespan ie < 3 years and fabric deteriorates after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

The black liner put over the grass and under the stones? Was crap to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

AFAIK round up is more biodegradable and environmentally friendly, I think there's another version called Gallop or something like that you get from co-ops or creameries that is the exact same stuff, just a different label/manufacturer and is a good bit cheaper. I have the exact same problem in the house I'm renting so thinking I might have to do the same as the landladies getting stressed about her gravel. I don't want her hiring someone to come in and nuke everything so best to do it myself and then I can preserve some of the wildlife.

• Advertisement
Advertisement