Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best methods for remembering passwords?

• 11-07-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Whats the best method for remembering multiple passwords.

I currently need to remember at least 20 username/pin/passwords
    Starting to get quite difficult and ive had a couple of occasions where im at the ATM and cant remember a pin ive been using for the last 3 years. I was writing them all on a piece of paper but I don't like this method, in case the piece of paper is misplaced. At the moment I have put them into a txt file, RAR'd the file under a password, placed the RAR file in with a program file amongst other similar looking files. I did see an iphone app, but I don't know if I could trust it.

Is there any other better method/s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Have several number sequences, ranging in digits from 4-6. Maybe 5 will do.

Have several "word" sequences. They can all be the same length. Maybe even the same word. But mix up the capital letters, and what letters you replace for number. e.g. elite, ElitE, el1te, El1tE etc etc.

Have some symbol sequences. e.g. (), !! etc

Make up passwords based on almalgamations of your number, word, and symbol combinations. Number+word+number, (+word+number+), (!+word+!) etc

Never write down your passwords on paper, it's bad practice IMO ;)

www.passpack.com

I've been using it for ~6 months now, and I'd be lost without it. Don't worry about the security, either. If you research how they store your passwords it'll put your mind to ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

www.passpack.com

I've been using it for ~6 months now, and I'd be lost without it. Don't worry about the security, either. If you research how they store your passwords it'll put your mind to ease.

I came here to recommend this which does the same, though involves downloading/installing something.

As for remembering passwords, I found the easiest way to do it is think of a long sentence (maybe 15-20 words), and use the first letter of each word, throw in capitals for Nouns if there aren't any already capitalised words, and try think of a sentence with numbers.
    So if you took the sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" you could end up with "TqbFjotlD" as a password. Main advantage of this is that the passwords are easy to remember for you, but appear random to anyone else, so even if someone were to see you type it in they won't remember it :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

SAY PIN IS 2345 ,write down o8723458486 anne, if some1 finds it they,ll think its a girls phone no, you,ll know o87 is prefix means nothing, my pin is the first 4 nos after o87=2345.You must work in a pc company or bank to need 20 passwords, i have only 2 pins i use, one is the mobile phone pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get the lastpass addon for firefox, then You'll only need one password, all others will be randomly generated, works on any OS. It disables firefox's password manager and signs You into sites automatically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Piece a paper
    +
    A pen
    +
    A super secret hidding place.

:D

Advertisement