Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superannuation Refund

Options
  • 11-07-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Has anyone applied for their superannuation refund online via the ato website?
    If so how long did it take for you to get the money?
    It is my understanding that your super fund send you a cheque in $AUD to Ireland.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

do a search, this has been answered many times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

hussey wrote: »
    do a search, this has been answered many times already.

"If so how long did it take for you to get the money?"

Ok, can you show me where this q was answered?
    I did a search before I posted and could not find the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Took me a long time - had to apply online (no response for a long time), then get my status of immigration certified by Hobart (costs $55) and fill in the relevant DASP form for my fund and which gets sent directly to the fund with the cert of immigration...took about 2/3 months altogether if not longer...

Edit - just checked - inital application response on 28th Oct and was Sorted on Feb 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Took me a long time - had to apply online (no response for a long time), then get my status of immigration certified by Hobart (costs $55) and fill in the relevant DASP form for my fund and which gets sent directly to the fund with the cert of immigration...took about 2/3 months altogether if not longer...

Edit - just checked - inital application response on 28th Oct and was Sorted on Feb 2nd

cool, thanks for that. I had a feeling it would take a little bit longer than the 28 days mentioned on the ato website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

hi apply as early as u can i got mine pretty quickly but had to collect my wife's the day we left for the airport.

it can vary

nice when u get it though

• Advertisement

hi apply as early as u can i got mine pretty quickly but had to collect my wife's the day we left for the airport.

it can vary

nice when u get it though

Do you not have to be out of the country before you can apply? You have to terminate your visa and or have proof of departure and confirmation of immigration status i.e that you are no longer in or eligible to be in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

things may have changed but 13 years ago we had the money/ cheque before we left, we still have our citizenship i cannot remember what proof we had to give, an affidavit maybe

our super was the only money we took home

apply early enough and it will b fine

things may have changed but 13 years ago we had the money/ cheque before we left, we still have our citizenship i cannot remember what proof we had to give, an affidavit maybe

our super was the only money we took home

apply early enough and it will b fine

Ah well, different rules for citizens and temporary residents

http://www.ato.gov.au/superfunds/content.asp?doc=/content/23515.htm
    You must complete a DASP summary if:

* you are a superannuation fund, approved deposit fund (ADF) or retirement savings account (RSA) provider, and
    * your member
    o is an eligible temporary resident who has left Australia
    o wants to access their superannuation (subject to withholding tax), and
    o has applied to you to have their superannuation released.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

I submitted mine in January of this year and not heard back from them yet. I am only getting time to follow up on it now unfortunatly. Hopefully I will get it sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

on another note, dunno if thgis applies to you but, if you have any intentions of returning to stay for good, do nt claim it, it is very tricky to set it up, if claimed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭oconnot5

The current situation for applying is online via https://applicant.tr.super.ato.gov.au/applicants/default.aspx?pid=1.
    I did it on 11th July.Got it today, 13th August. I requested it not to be sent by cheque. It still arrives by AUD cheque.
    They take 35% of it. Is this correct? As far as I know I cannot claim this back through tax return but not sure. Is it not dependent on your tax rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I have two different super funds as I have had two different employers. Will this make things more difficult for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭oconnot5

I had two as well but had merged them before applying for refund. I am really not sure how much more difficult it will be to get a refund from both, probably not much more though. I expect you will fill in both together on the online form. They will be sent to the two super plans by revenue and probably will result in two separate cheques being sent out.

Advertisement