Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike carrier for yaris ( 01 model)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

I bought one of these. Installed in about 10 minutes, fits hatchback and saloons.

I have a golf and carried two bikes to Kerry and back last week. The bikes didn't budge. Don't forget to put something (like heavy cardboard/foam) between the bikes and between the car and bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Found the hollywood Express 3 rack very good and pretty much universal...seen a micra using one the last day so i'd imagine it would fit most small hatches ...heres mine on an astra

290027849a12623453879o.jpg

290027849a12623430422l.jpg

290027849a12623430443l.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I have something similar to slickmcvic, but without extra spacers/holders on the rail. Mens bikes with crossbars, no problem. Womens bikes and kids bikes with smaller frames are much more fiddly. Buy an extra strap and make sure nothing moves a millimeter before setting off, particularly if you're going down small country roads. Any movement at all is liable to chip paint off your frame if you have more than one bike on, as I found out to my loss coming back from west Cork a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Hi I have one of these bike racks, Im not using it, very sturdy, takes 3 bikes €40 if you are interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi I have one of these bike racks, Im not using it, very sturdy, takes 3 bikes €40 if you are interested
    Hi,
    I'd be interested espically if it fits both a hatchback and a saloon and could collect if you are in north county dublin.
    Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

slickmcvic, that bike carrier is not supposed to be mounted against your rear window. I have one of these for my audi A3. The pic of the golf below shows the proper setup.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28383

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

heffsarmy wrote: »
    slickmcvic, that bike carrier is not supposed to be mounted against your rear window. I have one of these for my audi A3. The pic of the golf below shows the proper setup.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28383

....dunno mate,the manufacturers website has this pic clearly using the glass as a support

express-suv-a.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ....dunno mate,the manufacturers website has this pic clearly using the glass as a support

The instructions with my carrier were similar. Glass is ok for the upper bar,but not the lower one, which is how we've been using it. My guess is the lower bar carries most of the weight. It seems ok after a number of long trips with three bikes on very bumpy roads, but as soon as the back windscreen breaks or pops out I'll let you know. ;)

Ideally, I'd like one where the bars could fold up when not in use, as the main hazard with these things seems to be people walking into them when there's no bikes on them. Current rather feeble solution is red masking tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This might do the job to carry your Yaris

12.jpg

Advertisement