Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chael Sonnen is delusional.

• 11-07-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

What an idiot. The guy is going round conferences and taking interviews stating that he is going to retire Anderson Silva. The only way Sonnen will "take him down and beat a hole in andersons face" is if he catches him in a lucky punch. I am well aware that sonnen is a good wrestler but he can't even match up to Henderson nevermind Anderson Silva. I am getting sick and tired of Joe making these ridiculous one sided matches and give Anderson some real competition.

Bad mouthing Anderson and his "cronies" http://www.5thround.com/43706/chael-sonnen-continues-his-brazilian-badmouthing-ways/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Hes just playing the game, getting some exposure for himself. I think hes pretty funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I think he's got a genuine chance of winning this, the difference between Hendo and him is he wants it on the ground while Hendo will happily bang all day, Sonnen on top is a tough task for anyone and i wont right him off anyway.. plus Anderson might feel he has to actually take it to his opponent after his recent performances.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

It's called selling. People who don't know who Chael Sonnen is will want to watch and see if he can beat Anderson. I don't think Chael can beat him but it won't be terribly one sided either. Chael's selling the fight well anyway, he needs to with the lack of communication from Anderson because of the whole language barrier thing.

Hate sells.

I'm looking forward to this. Mr. Silva should win, but Sonnen poses a set of problems we haven't see him deal with for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Lads, a little perspective please. It is Anderson selling this event not Chael, since everyone seems to hate Anderson for humiliating Maia, it most definitely is Anderson selling this PPV. Also it is easy to be a big mouth but he will have something major to pull to back it up. Like a miracle. Also people who actually watched Silva vs Henderson knows that Anderson more than proved he is just as effective on the ground as standing up as what can only be described as a calculated submission.

• Advertisement

Lads, a little perspective please. It is Anderson selling this event not Chael, since everyone seems to hate Anderson for humiliating Maia, it most definitely is Anderson selling this PPV.

Explain?
    He didn't humiliate Maia. If anything he humiliated himself. Chael is bringing all of the exposure to this event not Silva.

Explain?
    He didn't humiliate Maia. If anything he humiliated himself. Chael is bringing all of the exposure to this event not Silva.

So you are saying if it was Chael fighting someone else the PPV would have sold as much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Probably will end up looking silly but could see Sonnen getting a decision victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

So you are saying if it was Chael fighting someone else the PPV would have sold as much?

your mixing up who the draw is and who is selling the card, Chael is actively promoting it, Even if the draw is Silva.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    your mixing up who the draw is and who is selling the card, Chael is actively promoting it, Even if the draw is Silva.

Beat me to it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lads, a little perspective please. It is Anderson selling this event not Chael, since everyone seems to hate Anderson for humiliating Maia, it most definitely is Anderson selling this PPV.
    Anderson was never a big PPV seller for the UFC and after the Maia fight that will be even less.Casual fans who saw that wont want to see him again.Chael has to sell this.

Looks like Chael isn't the only one who is delusional. Anderson is the draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

What do you expect the guy to do, turn up at press conferences and say "I dont think I can beat him, he's probably gonna punch my ticket. I'm only turning up for the payday"

Every fighter talks about how he's gonna beat his opponent, otherwise, why is he fighting

Looks like Chael isn't the only one who is delusional. Anderson is the draw here.
    I never said he isnt.I mean Chael has to sell this becuase like it or not Anderson isnt a big draw,especially for a Champion.Compared to the other champions & big names he constantly sells lower PPVs.They need every bit of hype possible behind this

Who here said he was the draw? I among others said he's selling the fight. Nobody said Chael was the draw.

The bottom line and the point is Silva will destroy him, I like how you all glided over what I said about him and henderson, people seem to have a crazy underdog obsession.

The bottom line and the point is Silva will destroy him, I like how you all glided over what I said about him and henderson, people seem to have a crazy underdog obsession.
    I seem to remember Silva spending the majority round one on his back stifled and unable to do anything while getting punched in the face after Hendo succeeding in the 1 takedown he tried.You mean that fight?
    Silva doesnt exactly have good takedown defense.Lutter got him down ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fact of the matter is that Silva is the worst drawing card of any of the reigning champions who have defended it out PPV, cant speak English and has displayed interest destroying performances recently. His fights need all the help they can get.

I seem to remember Silva spending the majority round one on his back stifled and unable to do anything while getting punched in the face after Hendo succeeding in the 1 takedown he tried.You mean that fight?
    Silva doesnt exactly have good takedown defense.Lutter got him down ffs

Did you watch the fight? Who won? This forum is fast becoming Sherdog with the crap being posted. Silvas fights arent exciting? Bul****.

Did you watch the fight? Who won? This forum is fast becoming Sherdog with the crap being posted. Silvas fights arent exciting? Bul****.

You should have been here last week if you think this.

Im with you on Silva although his last fight grated massively mid round 2 on.

• Advertisement

Im making the point that Silva had a lot of trouble against a strong wrestler when he used his best attribute.In round 2 Hendo didnt use his wrestling,got stunned with a knee and that was the beginning of the end.
    Youre right by the way, youre the perfect example of sherdog style.Everything only exists in black and white to support your argument.

Oh and 3 out of Silvas last 4 fights were25 minute snore fests.Casual fans who buy the majority of the PPVs have very short term memories so to them, no he isn't an exciting fighter.

Im making the point that Silva had a lot of trouble against a strong wrestler when he used his best attribute.In round 2 Hendo didnt use his wrestling,got stunned with a knee and that was the beginning of the end.
    Youre right by the way, youre the perfect example of sherdog style.Everything only exists in black and white to support your argument.

Oh and 3 out of Silvas last 4 fights were25 minute snore fests.Casual fans who buy the majority of the PPVs have very short term memories so to them, no he isn't an exciting fighter.

You are mistaking me for yourself. The fight finished with hendo pinning silva with his wrestling on the ground with silva calculating a submission off his back. Go back and watch the fight again before you start calling people black and white in their opinion.

You are mistaking me for yourself. The fight finished with hendo pinning silva with his wrestling on the ground with silva calculating a submission off his back. Go back and watch the fight again before you start calling people black and white in their opinion.
    I have it here.
    The fight ended with Silva rocking Hendo, hendo tried to grap a leg but ended up with Silva on top in Hendos half guard,Stayed there for a minute, hendo rolled and turtled,silva took his back,flattened him out and took the choke.

Now I recommend you stop making up fight scenarios

EDIT: Actually I just realised the nonsense in what you described happening.A world class wrestler in top control getting caught in a RNC.How exactly would silva spin him around to take his back from that position??

No it's not an underdog obsession, Silva "can" destroy Chael but whether or not he will try is another thing. Saying Silva "WILL" destroy him is narrow minded. Anything could happen, in the end it's two guys one on one, Silva is under pressure to perform well considering his last fight, Chael needs to prove himself as a Middleweight contender and is hungry. We seen how complacent champions make bad ones when Penn lost to Edgar, Silva is the definition of a complacent champion at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

It'll be interesting to see how Silva cope's with all Sonnens Sh1t talk, he tried to humilate Maia during his last fight and after claimed he did it because he was disrespected, so God knows what he'll do to Sonnen after everything Chaels being saying for the last two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, does this question really need to be asked?

Chael's mouth was a MAJOR factor in him even getting this shot!

You think anyone was gonna tune in to watch Sonnen in his fight with Marquart if he didn't have a mouth? He talked so much sh1t before that fight and it got people who weren't fans of either fighter (i'm a big Marquart fan) tuning in to see if this guy could back it up!

He's doing the same here.

Previously he had beaten Dan Miller.... who's Dan Miller? (to the "casual" fan). Then he beat Okami, a guy who UFC have tried their best to have fans ask "Who's Yushin Okamai?" by sticking him on undercards and hiding him away!

The old Boxing days show you that if you have a mouth, people will tune in to watch whether they want you to get beaten or to dish out the beating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fedor's been beaten so not beyond the bounds of reality that Sonnen could pull it off against Silva, unlikely but theres always a chance, otherwise why bother fighting if you have absolutely no chance?????

calex71 wrote: »
    Fedor's been beaten so not beyond the bounds of reality that Sonnen could pull it off against Silva, unlikely but theres always a chance, otherwise why bother fighting if you have absolutely no chance?????

People also do the Lottery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MrStuffins wrote: »
    People also do the Lottery!

My point exactly, theres always a chance no matter how small :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

LOL - OP knows nothing about fight promotion.

Awwww I was hoping for a reply about how the Silva/Hendo fight went :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What an idiot. The guy is going round conferences and taking interviews stating that he is going to retire Anderson Silva. The only way Sonnen will "take him down and beat a hole in andersons face" is if he catches him in a lucky punch. I am well aware that sonnen is a good wrestler but he can't even match up to Henderson nevermind Anderson Silva. I am getting sick and tired of Joe making these ridiculous one sided matches and give Anderson some real competition.

Bad mouthing Anderson and his "cronies" http://www.5thround.com/43706/chael-sonnen-continues-his-brazilian-badmouthing-ways/

I don't find it any worse than BJ saying he was going to the death with GSP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Chael will win this fight.

He will also get a nice purse for promoting this fight

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Chael will win this fight.

He will also get a nice purse for promoting this fight

I don't think Chael will win.

But he certainly DESERVES a nice purse, he always does his best to promote himself and therefore the fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Chael definitely deserves some extra money for hyping this fight. I doubt too many people were willing to part with another $50 for a PPV with Anderson after his last few phone in fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Chael once trained to be a pro wrestler. Just sayin :pac:

He's always been talking like this, it's just that nobody seems to have paid him any attention until he got his title shot. I'm interested in seeing how Anderson responds during the fight. Chael has done something very smart, because now when he gets that first takedown he will be cheered, and he'll be encouraged by the fans to keep Anderson on the ground rather than stand in front of him. It's like the same deal you see with Couture and GSP, where the fans cheer them for stuff that they'd boo a run-of-the-mill fighter for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't think Chael will win.

But he certainly DESERVES a nice purse, he always does his best to promote himself and therefore the fight!

I've disliked silva since the thales fight. Then when he destroyed griffin it just made me dislike him more, coupled with the mocking of maia.

Two of my fighters beaten and insulted, i'm not one to hold grudges i just hope sonnech destroys him:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Anyone have money on Sonnen?

7/2 cheeky tenner :cool:

VR46 wrote: »
    Anyone have money on Sonnen?

7/2 cheeky tenner :cool:

You'd be better off burning it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

anybody know what happened to the OP??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think this fight is win-win for the fans.

Maybe all the smack talk will encourage Silva to come give a serious beatdown as opposed to toy with someone for 5 rounds. I must admit the forest fight was one of my faves of recent times for the sole reason Anderson was fighting and wasn't being a douche.

And if the unexpected happens the fans (who are sick of Silva) get to see the champ beat. It ain't happening but I would love to see Sonnen get the belt. Think he is cocky now magine him with the title. A part of what makes Lesner is his F*ck you, F*ck them attitude, Sonnen has this in buckets. Smack talk, Animosity and hate between fighters make things much more exciting.

Maybe it's the old pro wrestling fan coming out in me?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

Nobody can question Silvas striking. It's amazing. Sonnen's is average. Silvas ground game is rarely seen & his only loses come by submission on the ground but seen lately on the ground he's more than a handful. Sonnen's bludgeoning of Marquardt was impressive & a bit of a shock too.

Sonnen is talking this fight up. I reckon he's being pushed to do so more than he usually mouths because of Danas fear of another 25 minutes of Silva dancing around the octagon.

Sonnen has a great chance if Silva of old comes out. He's also got a great chance if Silva comes out aggressive & commits too early (Like Liddell) in order to finish the fight quick & show superiority.

Either way, Sonnen seems to be pi$$ing more people off than Silva cares about & no doubt more people will tune in to hopefully see him shut up for good. The way I feel about Silva lately I hope Sonnen does it. He deserves it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On one hand I hope Sonnen wins, would be a real Rocky moment.

On the other hand, I hope Silva destroys Sonnen in the first few minutes and Dana will try 'persuade' him to move to LHW for more of a challenge and we will see some great fights then!

Sonnen was on MMA Live with Jonathan Coachman~!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5401623&categoryid=null

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Wow, Anderson nut-huggers are nearly as annoying as Brock and Fedor nut-huggers...

If Anderson goes out with the intention that he's going to knock Chael out, he'll get taken down, no doubt. If he tries his usual counter-punching (which he's amazing at) then it's going to be a Maia/Silva replay..

For those of you who doubt Chael's wrestling abilities, did you see UFC 109? He took Nate 'The Not-So-Great' down on will. With Nate being one of the top wrestlers in the 185 division, I think that tells us how good it is. Chael's not going to go in with the intention of beating Silva. He's going to try and take him to the ground and finish him/grind out a decision.

Anderson's only real chance of winning is submission, nobody's knocked Chael out, and I don't really see that changing on Anderson's recent performances.

Then again, I love trash talkers (Josh Koscheck, Dan Hardy, Chael, Brock, etc.) and love to hear it, while Hardy might be the most outrageous trash talker, Chael is without a doubt one of the most intelligent trash talkers.

However, Hendo and Chael probably have the best shot at beating Anderson. And seeing as Hendo isn't in the UFC anymore, why not give Chael a shot? The only other title contender for the near future is Vitor.

Personally, I'd love to see Chael win seeing as how I dislike Anderson. But I'd say Anderson will win by submission. We've never seen Chael go 5 rounds, his cardio looks good. But I think in the 4th or 5th round, he'll make a mistake, and Anderson will capitalize on it. There's a 40% chance Chael could win in my opinion.

Ps. For that guy who asked 'Who is Yushin Okami?' You, my friend, don't know much about MMA. The only fight apart from Chael I can remember him losing his against Rich Franklin way back. He's also beaten Evan Tanner. Please tell me you know who Evan Tanner is? Otherwise you've just proved my point.

Anyone who hasn't seen a Yushin Okami fight isn't a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Anyone who hasn't seen a Yushin Okami fight isn't a fan.

Even though UFC haven't aired his fights in the past because they've been boring?

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Wow, Anderson nut-huggers are nearly as annoying as Brock and Fedor nut-huggers...

If Anderson goes out with the intention that he's going to knock Chael out, he'll get taken down, no doubt. If he tries his usual counter-punching (which he's amazing at) then it's going to be a Maia/Silva replay..

For those of you who doubt Chael's wrestling abilities, did you see UFC 109? He took Nate 'The Not-So-Great' down on will. With Nate being one of the top wrestlers in the 185 division, I think that tells us how good it is. Chael's not going to go in with the intention of beating Silva. He's going to try and take him to the ground and finish him/grind out a decision.

Anderson's only real chance of winning is submission, nobody's knocked Chael out, and I don't really see that changing on Anderson's recent performances.

Then again, I love trash talkers (Josh Koscheck, Dan Hardy, Chael, Brock, etc.) and love to hear it, while Hardy might be the most outrageous trash talker, Chael is without a doubt one of the most intelligent trash talkers.

However, Hendo and Chael probably have the best shot at beating Anderson. And seeing as Hendo isn't in the UFC anymore, why not give Chael a shot? The only other title contender for the near future is Vitor.

Personally, I'd love to see Chael win seeing as how I dislike Anderson. But I'd say Anderson will win by submission. We've never seen Chael go 5 rounds, his cardio looks good. But I think in the 4th or 5th round, he'll make a mistake, and Anderson will capitalize on it. There's a 40% chance Chael could win in my opinion.

Ps. For that guy who asked 'Who is Yushin Okami?' You, my friend, don't know much about MMA. The only fight apart from Chael I can remember him losing his against Rich Franklin way back. He's also beaten Evan Tanner. Please tell me you know who Evan Tanner is? Otherwise you've just proved my point.

Not nearly as annoying as Chael nut huggers. I love all the so called MMA purists in here running their mouths as if they know the business inside out and whats best for the sport. I cannot wait for this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Ughhhhh...this place just keeps getting worse.

To balance out the negativity here.

Anyone else MMA Live (link above)? Sonnen was amazing answering the questions put in front of him.

Best UFC trailer in ages too:

• Advertisement
Advertisement