Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chael Sonnen is delusional.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Not nearly as annoying as Chael nut huggers. I love all the so called MMA purists in here running their mouths as if they know the business inside out and whats best for the sport. I cannot wait for this match.

So let me get this straight. I'm a Chael nut-hugger even though I said Anderson would probably win? Yeah, makes sense.. However, there's no hiding the fact I'd love to see Chael win this fight as I've explained that I really dislike Anderson Silva..
    And I suppose you know so much more than me about MMA? I personally don't see how me voicing my opinion on a topic counts as me running my mouth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

ScareGilly wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. I'm a Chael nut-hugger even though I said Anderson would probably win? Yeah, makes sense.. However, there's no hiding the fact I'd love to see Chael win this fight as I've explained that I really dislike Anderson Silva..
    And I suppose you know so much more than me about MMA? I personally don't see how me voicing my opinion on a topic counts as me running my mouth..

You said Anderson fans are nut huggers. That counts as you running your mouth. All i'm saying is, just because you like a certain fighter doesn't mean you are a nut hugger. Hence why I said it.

Sure, everyone has a favourite fighter and the likes. But unless you're a nut-hugger, you always give the other guy a chance against your favourite fighters. I'm on about those that say "Hahaha, Chael has absolutely no chance, Anderson is going to rip his head off in the first round.." and other stuff along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Hey gunsfortoys, now that your back on this thread, what would you expect a fighter to say in press about a fight other than he's gonna beat his opponent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cletus wrote: »
    Hey gunsfortoys, now that your back on this thread, what would you expect a fighter to say in press about a fight other than he's gonna beat his opponent?

Nothing, all fights should be fighter A vs fighter B and they must all shake hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I've found most of Chael's trash talking to be pretty entertaining. The only thing that really 'irked' me was when he said "getting a black belt from the Nogueira brothers is like getting a toy in a happy meal" or something to that extent. Yeah, fine, say whatever ya like about your opponent, but to discredit two guys like the Nogs who seem to be two of the most respectful in the sport and discredit their gym, BJJ and all the people who have trained under them is too much for me. Everything else is fine, pretty funny and he does it for all of his fights so it's really part of the game for him, but that comment just bothered me a bit. Should be an interesting fight, can't wait (job done Chael, I suppose! :-p).

Jayo_M wrote: »
    I've found most of Chael's trash talking to be pretty entertaining. The only thing that really 'irked' me was when he said "getting a black belt from the Nogueira brothers is like getting a toy in a happy meal" or something to that extent. Yeah, fine, say whatever ya like about your opponent, but to discredit two guys like the Nogs who seem to be two of the most respectful in the sport and discredit their gym, BJJ and all the people who have trained under them is too much for me. Everything else is fine, pretty funny and he does it for all of his fights so it's really part of the game for him, but that comment just bothered me a bit. Should be an interesting fight, can't wait (job done Chael, I suppose! :-p).

Im sure they will shake hands after the bout regardless of the result and everyone will forget his trash talking. Although your criticism is valid, I dont know why people still get exercised by the concept of trash talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Nah, I love a bit of trash talking, and he probably said that comment off the cuff, and it was pretty funny in fairness! I just thought it was just a bit out of line. I love (good) trash talking, the sport has to have it's characters just like any sport. For every Fedor, GSP and Nate Marquardt you need a Lesnar, Penn and and Sonnen. Contrasting personalities make things more interesting, same with every sport.

Bloody Elbow has a great blog up on the Frye/Shamrock fight a fight greatly enhanced by (some really personal) trash talk.

5off5_medium.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Nah, I love a bit of trash talking, and he probably said that comment off the cuff, and it was pretty funny in fairness! I just thought it was just a bit out of line. I love (good) trash talking, the sport has to have it's characters just like any sport. For every Fedor, GSP and Nate Marquardt you need a Lesnar, Penn and and Sonnen. Contrasting personalities make things more interesting, same with every sport.

GSP was pretty annoyed over some of Hardys stuff. He is not a mixed martial artist etc we're pretty rampant by GSP's standards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

You said Anderson fans are nut huggers. That counts as you running your mouth. All i'm saying is, just because you like a certain fighter doesn't mean you are a nut hugger. Hence why I said it.

I read ScareGilly's post twice & can't find the part where he calls or says Anderson fans are nut huggers.

Would you mind Quoting it for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Ah I think Chael's talking is great. The way he's able to answer questions and address a crowd intelligently but still relentlessly digging at silva is brilliant. You can defo see the politician in him.

Its a bit unfair to say he's delusional; he said himself on MMA Live, and many other times that he knows Silva is a great fighter and he's gonna have to be careful. I think its interesting aswell that he said Silva has never fought under pressure, so nobody knows how he'll react; but he's gonna find out. All he's tryna do is get people to doubt or question whether Silva is what he's made out to be and therefore put the pressure on him to prove it.

I don't mind who wins, just as long its a good fight I'll be happy.

Check out Chael's twitter. Apparently its fake though. Still funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I really think that the term "nut-huggers" should be a banable offense!

It's gotten to the point where nobody can give an opinion on a fight without being caled a "nut-hugger".

To say that someone who believes Anderson Silva will win the fight a nut-hugger is ridiculous. Why wouldn't people believe that the Best Middleweight in the World will win a fight?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I really think that the term "nut-huggers" should be a banable offense!

It's gotten to the point where nobody can give an opinion on a fight without being caled a "nut-hugger".

To say that someone who believes Anderson Silva will win the fight a nut-hugger is ridiculous. Why wouldn't people believe that the Best Middleweight in the World will win a fight?

No, I believe Anderson will win. I'm definitely not an Anderson nut-hugger... Anyone who spews out rubbish like "<insert random fighter here> has absolutely no chance of losing, he's gonna knock him out in the first round. And make up excuses for all their fighter's losses. That is a nut-hugger.

No, I believe Anderson will win. I'm definitely not an Anderson nut-hugger... Anyone who spews out rubbish like "<insert random fighter here> has absolutely no chance of losing, he's gonna knock him out in the first round. And make up excuses for all their fighter's losses. That is a nut-hugger.

That maybe correct. But until i see someone saying all of this and they are wrong, then less of the nut-hugger talk!

Oh, by the way, Chael is going DOWN......... have you seen who Silva has brought in to train with?? :pac:

• Advertisement

Anderson has been working on a few moves:

I hear Anderson's retiring after this fight to start a new project...

Can everyone keep an eye for audio of today's presser?

Just saw the ad for this on ESPN and the whole thing was about Chael Sonnen!

The entire ad was Sonnen talkin sh1t about Silva. I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Its a bit unfair to say he's delusional; he said himself on MMA Live, and many other times that he knows Silva is a great fighter and he's gonna have to be careful. I think its interesting aswell that he said Silva has never fought under pressure, so nobody knows how he'll react; but he's gonna find out. .

This is WHY Chael is delusional. Fighters who try to pressure silva get put away(Forrest, Leben, Irvin, Hendo, Marquardt, Lutter), Silva thrives on opponents trying to pressure him.

That said, I think Sonnen is a smart guy, and I dont think he'll try to put Anderson under pressure. Judging by all the **** talking, he's hoping to make Anderson come after him and step out of his usual routine.

• Advertisement

Best video yet? :D

The best thing about it is that it is an offical UFC video. It is pretty clear what UFC thinks who and what is selling this fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

rovert wrote: »
    The best thing about it is that it is an offical UFC video. It is pretty clear what UFC thinks who and what is selling this fight.

Pity Bryan Alvarez thought an F4W forum member threw it together, when he played it for Dave on Wed night's radio show, LOL.

Pity Bryan Alvarez thought an F4W forum member threw it together, when he played it for Dave on Wed night's radio show, LOL.

Dont blame Bryan this totally breaks away from UFC's long established formula of promoting fights and editing videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Dont blame Bryan this totally breaks away from UFC's long established formula of promoting fights and editing videos.
    Except the fact that it appeared on Youtube under the "UFC" channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpePVQ68FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

just noticed that the main card is all US Vs Brazil fights? :o

TechnoPool wrote: »
    just noticed that the main card is all US Vs Brazil fights? :o

And the undercard is all US Vs US apart from the Stefan Struve fight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Here's another one just released by the UFC channel on Youtube.

Some ridiculous statements at the start. Fantastic.

Shazbot wrote: »
    Here's another one just released by the UFC channel on Youtube.

Some ridiculous statements at the start. Fantastic.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That is amazing! "He is the most interesting man in the world" haha.

That can't be official surely? Are UFC just collecting the best and funniest videos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Promos worthy of a champion.

I hope he beats Silva hard (it ain't happening though).

• Advertisement

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Promos worthy of a champion.

I hope he beats Silva hard (it ain't happening though).

From the looks of the Promo, UFC hopes he beats Silva too. A guy like Sonnen is more marketable to Average Joe Soap than Anderson Silva!

Silva is hardly a massive PPV draw and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Ever so slowly he's getting there. Not that he'll ever be Lesnar level big but they're very rare.

If anyone has a link to the countdown special I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

From the looks of the Promo, UFC hopes he beats Silva too. A guy like Sonnen is more marketable to Average Joe Soap than Anderson Silva!

Very much so. I'd imagine after the whole UFC 112 malarkey Dana White has little time for Anderson. "The most interesting man alive" line is a subtle "Anderson Silva is as interesting as a wet sock".

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Very much so. I'd imagine after the whole UFC 112 malarkey Dana White has little time for Anderson. "The most interesting man alive" line is a subtle "Anderson Silva is as interesting as a wet sock".

The funny thing is, Anderson Silva is possibly the coolest man on earth! Ever seen his "UFC All Access"? He's so cool he's almost frozen!

I think the pact he doesnt speak English is a barrier with fans though

I think the pact he doesnt speak English is a barrier with fans though

The fact that he can speak English but just refuses to? :rolleyes: Or.. until he's asked a question that isn't favourable...

The fact that he can speak English but just refuses to? :rolleyes: Or.. until he's asked a question that isn't favourable...

I doubt it's as simple as that. He is still learning English. His english is terrible when he chooses to speak it.

Sorry, was just quoting Chael for a while there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yviwm27c2HU&feature=channel

part 2 of chael sonnen as the most interesting man in the world! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yviwm27c2HU&feature=channel

part 2 of chael sonnen as the most interesting man in the world! :)

"I've won every round i've ever fought"

"I've won every second of every round i've ever fought"

"I've beat every Champion there's ever been except one"

I'm really begining to believe that Chael is seriously delusional!

• Advertisement

That narrator should've added

"Chael Sonnen is the only man who can dominate a fight whilst being choked half to death by Demian Maia"

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Demian_Maia_vs_Chael_Sonnen_UFC_95?vid=10003486

That narrator should've added

"Chael Sonnen is the only man who can dominate a fight whilst being choked half to death by Demian Maia"]

Choked to death in a submission that got submission of the night? Choked to death by probably the best Jiu-Jitsu practitioner in all of MMA? Hardly an embarrassment...

Looking at Chael's fight record his losses have all come against Jiu-Jitsu experts. Does everyone think that Anderson has the same level Jiu-Jitsu as Renato 'Babalu' Sobral? Demian Maia? Jeremy Horn? Paulo Filho? (Chael beat him in a rematch apparently.)

The only fighter Anderson's submitted has been Dan Henderson, by rear naked choke. Even if Anderson was a blue belt Jiu-Jitsu fighter, he'd still have won by RNC due to Hendo giving up his back..

The more I research? (Probably not the right term..) this fight, the more belief I have that Chael could actually win this fight. Still don't think he will, but I'm hoping by Saturday I'll believe...

Choked to death in a submission that got submission of the night? Choked to death by probably the best Jiu-Jitsu practitioner in all of MMA? Hardly an embarrassment...

I never said it was an embarrassment. I was pointing out that Chael was wrong when he said he had "dominated every second of every fight" he'd ever been in.

10 of his victors would disagree, including Maia.
    Looking at Chael's fight record his losses have all come against Jiu-Jitsu experts. Does everyone think that Anderson has the same level Jiu-Jitsu as Renato 'Babalu' Sobral? Demian Maia? Jeremy Horn? Paulo Filho? (Chael beat him in a rematch apparently.)
    Bit of an over-statement, do your homework :P Terry Martin isn't a Jiu Jitsu expert, nor is Forrest Griffin. Or Trevor Prangley (not "Experts" at least) He got submitted by Filho and yes, he beat him in a rematch, but Filho wasn't there for that fight. if you'd seen that fight you'd know that Filho was f*cked up! he missed weight, was in all kinds of personal trouble and was literally TALKING to people he thought he was seeing in the cage. it was so bizarre!

Also, yes, Silva IMO is POSSIBLY as good as some of the people you have mentioned.
    The only fighter Anderson's submitted has been Dan Henderson, by rear naked choke. Even if Anderson was a blue belt Jiu-Jitsu fighter, he'd still have won by RNC due to Hendo giving up his back..
    This is a bit of a silly post. Hendo is a legend, a multiple World Champ! You're completely under-selling him here.

Also, you completely forgot to mention that fact that Silva subbed Travis Lutter, one of the best BJJ practicioners to ever effectively use his BJJ in MMA!
    The more I research? (Probably not the right term..) this fight, the more belief I have that Chael could actually win this fight. Still don't think he will, but I'm hoping by Saturday I'll believe...
    He COULD win the fight........ but he won't!

I never said it was an embarrassment. I was pointing out that Chael was wrong when he said he had "dominated every second of every fight" he'd ever been in.
    That was obviously tongue-in-cheek and to try and get inside Anderson's head just like everything else he's said..
    Terry Martin isn't a Jiu Jitsu expert
    He lost to Terry Martin due to TKO, not by submission, and his corner threw in the towel, it wasn't him that gave up.
    nor is Forrest Griffin.
    He lost to Forrest over 7 years ago. When Chael probably didn't even know what a triangle choke was..
    Or Trevor Prangley
    Well, according to you, Travis Lutter is a Jiu-Jitsu expert. Trevor Prangley beat him and a lot of that fight was on the ground. If Travis is one of the best, surely someone who's not an expert wouldn't be able to hold their own against him while the fight's on the ground?
    He got submitted by Filho and yes, he beat him in a rematch, but Filho wasn't there for that fight. if you'd seen that fight you'd know that Filho was f*cked up! he missed weight, was in all kinds of personal trouble and was literally TALKING to people he thought he was seeing in the cage. it was so bizarre!
    I'm going to have to take your word for this one :confused:
    This is a bit of a silly post. Hendo is a legend, a multiple World Champ! You're completely under-selling him here.
    Not under-selling anyone. I just said if you give anyone your back in an MMA fight, expect to lose by RNC, it's the most common submission by non-Jiu-Jitsu fighters I would imagine.
    Also, you completely forgot to mention that fact that Silva subbed Travis Lutter, one of the best BJJ practicioners to ever effectively use his BJJ in MMA!
    You completely forgot that Travis Lutter tapped due to Silva's elbows from the bottom, rather than the triangle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Can't wait to see Sonnen get Ko'd. Anderson can do it when he wants thats what makes him so dangerous.I was sure Griffin was going to outwork him to a victory but he ran over Forrest(who admittedly played in Silva's plan).The stuff Sonnen is coming out with is Outrageous.I won this,I won that,
    isn't he like 4-3 in the Ufc he's lucky to be getting a shot with that record & the Stuff about Lance Armstrong giving himself Cancer is going to come up in the Next MMA Bashing Media Article for sure.

GTR63 wrote: »
    the Stuff about Lance Armstrong giving himself Cancer is going to come up in the Next MMA Bashing Media Article for sure.

I dont see how or why.

Lance Armstrong cancer survivor or not is hardly a saint in the media's eyes.

• Advertisement

He lost to Terry Martin due to TKO, not by submission, and his corner threw in the towel, it wasn't him that gave up.

You said all of Chaels losses came from BJJ experts, i was replying to that.
    He lost to Forrest over 7 years ago. When Chael probably didn't even know what a triangle choke was..
    It was his 8th fight and Forrest's 9th, i don't think experience was an issue.
    Well, according to you, Travis Lutter is a Jiu-Jitsu expert.
    Not according to me, according to his record:
    Grappling credentials

• Winner Ultimate Submission Challenge 2003
    • Competitor 2001 ADCC World Championships
    • Competitor 2000 ADCC World Championships
    • Winner 2001 National USA ADCC Qualifier
    • Winner 2000 National USA ADCC Qualifier
    • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Carlos Machado
    • 1st place 2001 Texas State BJJ Champion
    • 3rd place Heavyweight Purple Belt, 2000 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    • 3rd place Purple Belt Heavyweight, 2000 Pan-American Games
    • 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1999 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open
    • 1st place Heavyweight and Overall Champion 1998 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
    • 2nd place 1998 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    • 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1998 USA Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
    • 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1997 San Antonio Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open
    Trevor Prangley beat him and a lot of that fight was on the ground. If Travis is one of the best, surely someone who's not an expert wouldn't be able to hold their own against him while the fight's on the ground?
    Unfortunately, fights are not fought on the backs of your previous opponent. Fedor beat AA and AA beat Werdum, so Fedor beats Werdum right? Wrong!
    Not under-selling anyone. I just said if you give anyone your back in an MMA fight, expect to lose by RNC, it's the most common submission by non-Jiu-Jitsu fighters I would imagine.
    but he didn't "give" anything, Silva took it with his BJJ skills.

You completely forgot that Travis Lutter tapped due to Silva's elbows from the bottom, rather than the triangle?
    Well, he tapped that's for sure! What's to say he wasn't about to go to sleep? Or he'd have tapped anyway?

The fact is, he submitted Lutter after getting him in a Triangle from which Lutter could not escape!

GTR63 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Sonnen get Ko'd. Anderson can do it when he wants thats what makes him so dangerous.I was sure Griffin was going to outwork him to a victory but he ran over Forrest(who admittedly played in Silva's plan).The stuff Sonnen is coming out with is Outrageous.I won this,I won that,
    isn't he like 4-3 in the Ufc he's lucky to be getting a shot with that record & the Stuff about Lance Armstrong giving himself Cancer is going to come up in the Next MMA Bashing Media Article for sure.

he said WHAT about Lance Armstrong?

he said WHAT about Lance Armstrong?

This:
    "When you screw up, you have to own it. That stuff really gets under my skin. Take Lance Armstrong. Lance Armstrong did a number of things and he gave himself cancer. He cheated. He did drugs. And he gave himself cancer. Well, instead of saying, `Hey listen, I cheated and gave myself cancer, don't be like me,' he actually made himself the victim and then went out and profited something like $15 million from this, `Hey, poor me, let's find a cure for cancer,' campaign instead of just coming clean and saying, `Look, here's what I did, I screwed myself up, and I hope people learn from my mistakes.' You just watch these guys and can't help but think, God, what a fraud. You get the whole Michael Phelps being a pothead thing too. I'm just glad I'm in the business I'm in so I can get them in the cage and kick the crap out of them."

This:

Jesus!

Is Chael Sonnen from this planet?

Jesus!

Is Chael Sonnen from this planet?

If he is where did he get his Doctorate as the cause and affect relationship is iffy at best? :p

He is just doing right wing radio schtick here from my point of view. Ireland it is called talking out of your hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement