Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No TDF coverage in today's Sunday Independent???

• 11-07-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Eh didn't see anything there today - did I miss it somewhere?

Isn't Ger Cromwell ghost-writing Nicholas Roche's articles in the weekday Independent.

Isn't that the same hack that had a go at another Irish cycling journalist on his Twitter a while ago!?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

there will be tomorrow thats for sure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

The indo is a terrible terrible paper. A vehicle of the likes of Barry Egan and Brendan O'Connor to write articles about how wonderful various blonde models/actresses/socialites are in hope they'll get the chance to bang them.

A least tabloids don't pretend to be anything other than what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

And tabloids have better headlines.

I particularly like the headline that went with the story that revelead how Keith Chegwin had been told that if he didn't stop drinking it would kill him: Cheggers Can't Be Boozers.

Also good was the headline that accompanied the story about the first condom-vending machine installed in the Garda training college at Templemore:
    Cops and Rubbers

You'll never see writing of that quality in the Sunday Independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sure the Indo may play host to the odd rabid moron, but that's all part of the fun.

The Irish Times, OTOH, is an utterly dismal establishment rag full of pompous drivel written by people barely more intelligent than the average TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Lumen wrote: »
    Sure the Indo may play host to the odd rabid moron, but that's all part of the fun.

The Irish Times, OTOH, is an utterly dismal establishment rag full of pompous drivel written by people barely more intelligent than the average TD.

And Tom Humphries... The journalistic equivalent of a gorilla. The man really ****in annoys the ****e out of me with his 'sports' writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    And Tom Humphries... The journalistic equivalent of a gorilla. The man really ****in annoys the ****e out of me with his 'sports' writing.

I live in his old house !

It was brilliant for the first year as he never rerouted all his sports magazine subscriptions so had a sneaky read before passing them on to his new address.

Still get the occasional phone call to the house mainly by the BBC looking for an opinion piece, after a few vino's tempted to give one the odd time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Nico wrote:
    Since the Tour began, I've been strict with myself at meal times. For dinner, I've eaten just plain pasta with no sauce, maybe some cheese and a drop of olive oil. From now on, I will just eat normally. You use up almost 10,000 calories on a hard mountain stage, so a bit of pasta sauce isn't going to go astray.

I don't understand... Whats is the logic in not eating much during the tour ...? I think Nico needs cake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I don't understand... Whats is the logic in not eating much during the tour ...? I think Nico needs cake...

Keeping the weight down. That's my guess.

Raam wrote: »
    Keeping the weight down. That's my guess.

But 'eating normally' is not even good enough when you are burning 6000/8000 cals a day. Why would he eat less then 'normally' ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

But 'eating normally' is not even good enough when you are burning 6000/8000 cals a day. Why would he eat less then 'normally' ...

They are eating on the road too of course. This is what Garmin were at last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

When I was cycling regularly (50 miles a day most days of the week) I had an insatiable appetite, yet my weight was static at 10.5 stone. So I'm amazed at a Tour de France rider going easy on the pasta sauce or anything else for that matter. Seems hard to believe really!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Reminds me while working on the Tour Of ireland ... the riders having the fruit salad ... while I was having the cake for dessert... or both.

Advertisement