Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Eclipse Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

thanks jake1-without you posting the link I would have missed it. At the crucial moment, cloud appeared from viewing point in French Polynesia-fingers crossed that all will be well from Easter Island in an hour or so :D

fifilarue wrote: »
    thanks jake1-without you posting the link I would have missed it. At the crucial moment, cloud appeared from viewing point in French Polynesia-fingers crossed that all will be well from Easter Island in an hour or so :D

Excellent, Im so glad it came in handy. I have a head like a sieve myself, and usually forget these things :)

that was mighty stuff altogether-loved the shot of the eclipse watchers with the moai behind them. what i would give to have been there :pac:

that was mighty stuff altogether-loved the shot of the eclipse watchers with the moai behind them. what i would give to have been there :pac:

I know! I would love to have been there. I cant wait for pictures to be released, I bet they will be stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Forgot all about this due to the World Cup, any other live streams today ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, heres a link for the Eclipse.

http://www.theweatherspace.com/

Thanks a million for that link Jake1,I seem to have missed the live streaming but a link within Your link showed the eclipse from Tahiti!

I love total eclipse,especially the 'Diamond Ring' stage.

always amazes Me that the Moon is just the right distance from Earth to totally block our view of the Sun during an eclipse{tempted to think that is part of a bigger plan;):)}

I liked this report on it-particularly the bit about the silence that descended when totality was achieved.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2010-07/12/c_13396118.htm

It reminded me of the solar eclipse that took place over Ireland in (August?)1999. I was lucky enough to be working outside that day on a site in Co Clare and although it was nothing like the spectacle that took place in the South Pacific, what I remember most was the silence-the cows in the field next to where we were working sat down and the birds stopped singing. It was almost creepy but quite the experience. You can imagine the effect that a phenomenon like this had on early societies too.

I liked this report on it-particularly the bit about the silence that descended when totality was achieved.
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/indepth/2010-07/12/c_13396118.htm

It reminded me of the solar eclipse that took place over Ireland in (August?)1999. I was lucky enough to be working outside that day on a site in Co Clare and although it was nothing like the spectacle that took place in the South Pacific, what I remember most was the silence-the cows in the field next to where we were working sat down and the birds stopped singing. It was almost creepy but quite the experience. You can imagine the effect that a phenomenon like this had on early societies too.

fifilarue wish You could be coaxed to post more often!!!
    When You put Your mind to it Your posts can be so eloquent and thought provoking!{the link is a nice read also}

You might on occasions be a bit disappointed by a seeming lack of response though,as the most thanked post ever in the S&A forum was 1257 thank you's when Lord Lucan simply posted

*********SWOON*****************

at a picture of the Space Shuttle Atlantis:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Amazing spectacle. Didn't get to see it live but have seen a few different reports & pics of it since. Good to see mainstream media covering it too,Sky News had a piece on it this morning from Easter Island.

469200main_eclipse2010_comp-4x3_946-710.jpg

A solar eclipse photo (gray and white) from the Williams College Expedition to Easter Island in the South Pacific (July 11, 2010) was embedded with an image of the Sun’s outer corona taken by the Large Angle Spectrometric Coronagraph (LASCO) on the SOHO spacecraft and shown in red false color. LASCO uses a disk to blot out the bright sun and the inner corona so that the faint outer corona can be monitored and studied. Further, the dark silhouette of the moon was covered with an image of the Sun taken in extreme ultraviolet light at about the same time by the Atmospheric Imaging Assembly on Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO). The composite brings out the correlation of structures in the inner and outer Corona.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/eclipse/eclipse2010.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement