Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chervil - where to find?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

i am having problems sourcing it for a soup ingredient. Anyone know where i can pick some up, please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The dried herbs section in any supermarket should have it or if it's not available on its own, look for a fines herbes mixture which has chervil as a major constituent, though this may not suit. If you want fresh, God only knows where you'll get it, a greengrocers perhaps or the veggy section in a big supermarket where they sell herbs growing in plastic tubs?

It's easy enough to grow from seed, but that won't help now. Fresh, the leaves have a strange (to me) flavour a bit like mild liquorice; cooked in a stew the roots have a more robust carroty-Pernody flavour (don't show this to Rachael Allen, please).

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

ha ha about the Rachel Allen comment! :-)
    Many thanks for your input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

If its for cooking just substitute it with 1/2 the amount of Tarragon, both have a very similar aniseed flavor, with Tarragon being the stronger of the 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thanks a lot waltersobchak
    If its for cooking just substitute it with 1/2 the amount of Tarragon, both have a very similar aniseed flavor, with Tarragon being the stronger of the 2..

Advertisement