Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Granny ring bended inside

• 11-07-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

So today I was cleaning the beone, and since I mainly use it for commuting now, I haven't been in the granny ring in a while. I knew it was slipping but I just thought it was the limits of the front derailleur. But after a good inspection I noticed that the ring has bended inside as you can (if you can) see on the photo. Can this be fixed somehow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yes with a vice and knowledge of metalworking/bike shop experience doing the same things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Granny rings are usually steel so are pretty tough - just take it off, lay it on a flat surface and give it a good bang with a hammer, preferably a lump hammer with a bit of weight behind it - should do the trick (and if it doesn't work, they're only a tenner from CRC anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The chainset is an FSA gossamer, is this what I need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The chainset is an FSA gossamer, is this what I need?

Nope, 38T/39T is way too big for a granny ring. You should be able to use any chainring so long as the BCD is the same. Looks like the BCD for the granny ring is 74mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Granny rings are usually steel so are pretty tough - just take it off, lay it on a flat surface and give it a good bang with a hammer, preferably a lump hammer with a bit of weight behind it - should do the trick (and if it doesn't work, they're only a tenner from CRC anyway).

Wouldn't recommend hitting it with a hammer directly. It would be better to "sandwich" the ring between two pieces of wood and then hit the wood with the hammer. Less likely to damage the ring this way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement