Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrade or undergraduate so confused!

Options
  • 11-07-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Im looking to go back studying but so confused at the minute and not sure if a postgrad or an undergraduate course would be best. I went to college for 4 years and got a diploma (failed my last year unfortunately but didnt repeat it) in Computing. I realised it wasnt for me and got into Graphic Design.

Ive done graphic design work with my uncles company and a few projects by myself and I really enjoy it and have got a good handle on Photoshop and InDesign. The problem is I wouldnt be qualified enough to complete for a job and im sure theres loads more I could learn.

What I want to know is would I be able to apply for some Postgrad course that does Graphic Design or would I have needed to do a graphic design undergraduate course to be on track with the rest of the class?

I cant figure out if a postgrad for a year would be more beneficial than an undergraduate course for 3 or 4.

Sorry for the long rant! Any help greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How did you get a diploma if you failed final year? Have you found out if you could be eligible for a postgrad in the first place? I don't know if you are but sounds like you might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Just had a gander at the postgrad courses in the NCAD, you would need a minimum of a 2.2 to do a course, and that's just the minimum (i.e. there's a lot more applying for postgrads now with the recession, BTEA etc...). So you might have to do another undergrad or a course in graphic design with FÁS or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 natterer

If you don't have a Bachelor's degree, you can't do a postgraduate course, unless you have some 20+ years of extraordinary professional experience relevant to a course you're applying for (yet even this depends on the policy of a school). Said that, if you want to do a postgraduate course, finish the undergraduate course first--perhaps you might have possibility to just repeat your final year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

natterer wrote: »
    If you don't have a Bachelor's degree, you can't do a postgraduate course, unless you have some 20+ years of extraordinary professional experience relevant to a course you're applying for (yet even this depends on the policy of a school). Said that, if you want to do a postgraduate course, finish the undergraduate course first--perhaps you might have possibility to just repeat your final year?
    Utter rubbish.

I know a lot of people who have level 7 degrees who after 4/5 years experience go and do a masters. I know one person who has 10 years experience + her LC and did a MBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

How did you get a diploma if you failed final year? Have you found out if you could be eligible for a postgrad in the first place? I don't know if you are but sounds like you might not be.

I did Biochemistry in UCD which was a 4 year course and you received a diploma after completing 3 years or the bachelors degree if you finished 4th year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Improbable wrote: »
    I did Biochemistry in UCD which was a 4 year course and you received a diploma after completing 3 years or the bachelors degree if you finished 4th year.
    UCD is a bit different though i think, as there is a standard Ordinary science degree that you can enroll for aswell as getting this on the way to a BSC honours. (my brother did this this year) He got the level 7 last year and then the BSC (hons) this year.

you cant say do that with commerce for example.

UCD is a bit different though i think, as there is a standard Ordinary science degree that you can enroll for aswell as getting this on the way to a BSC honours. (my brother did this this year) He got the level 7 last year and then the BSC (hons) this year

AFAIR, the general science degree that you apply for is simply an omnibus entry where you pick your specialty at the end of your 2nd year rather than before you enter in the CAO application. Didn't think you could just apply to do an ordinary science degree.

AFAIR, the general science degree that you apply for is simply an omnibus entry where you pick your specialty at the end of your 2nd year rather than before you enter in the CAO application. Didn't think you could just apply to do an ordinary science degree.

Ah yes but is the general science degree not a level 7? and then if you get above a threshold you can advance to the honours?

Ah yes but is the general science degree not a level 7? and then if you get above a threshold you can advance to the honours?

I believe the application for the general science degree counts as a level 8, but you're right, this wont be the same for all courses/degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

I went to Tallaght for my degree course and they seem to do it different than some colleges. if you pass 2nd year you get a Cert, pass 3rd year you get a Diploma, pass 4th year you get a Degree.

I got 3rd year but failed the last year. Is there any kinda of add on course you can do like a postgrad? So another words instead of having to repeat my last year which I cant actually do now or starting from scratch

My original plan was to go back and do 3 years but then I saw the post grad courses. Are there not post grad diploma courses as well though? Where you only need to have achieved a diploma not a degree?

• Advertisement

gibson wrote: »
    I went to Tallaght for my degree course and they seem to do it different than some colleges. if you pass 2nd year you get a Cert, pass 3rd year you get a Diploma, pass 4th year you get a Degree.

I got 3rd year but failed the last year. Is there any kinda of add on course you can do like a postgrad? So another words instead of having to repeat my last year which I cant actually do now or starting from scratch

My original plan was to go back and do 3 years but then I saw the post grad courses. Are there not post grad diploma courses as well though? Where you only need to have achieved a diploma not a degree?

I'm not exactly sure how it works really.

A lvl 7 is an ordinary bachelors degree
    A lvl 8 is an honours bachelors degree

Would a diploma be a lvl 6? If so, then I honestly don't think you'll get into any postgraduate program as even lvl 7 qualifications make that nigh impossible.

I'm not exactly sure how it works really.

A lvl 7 is an ordinary bachelors degree
    A lvl 8 is an honours bachelors degree

Would a diploma be a lvl 6? If so, then I honestly don't think you'll get into any postgraduate program as even lvl 7 qualifications make that nigh impossible.

Ye what Ive got is a ordinary bachelors degree, level7 , they changed the name while i was at college!

This was one of the courses I was looking at

http://www.scd.ie/Graduate_Diploma_in_Interactive_Media/Default.259.html

I think for that though you need a degree. Am I right in saying you need a degree to apply but then the qualification is only of diploma level according to that site?

Ye what Ive got is a ordinary bachelors degree, level7 , they changed the name while i was at college!

This was one of the courses I was looking at

http://www.scd.ie/Graduate_Diploma_in_Interactive_Media/Default.259.html

I think for that though you need a degree. Am I right in saying you need a degree to apply but then the qualification is only of diploma level according to that site?

The higher diploma looks like its a lvl 8 qualification from what I can tell as it allows for progression into masters programmes (lvl 9) without having achieved an honours bachelors degree. In addition, most H.Dip courses that I've seen don't require you to have done your primary degree in that field.

The higher diploma looks like its a lvl 8 qualification from what I can tell as it allows for progression into masters programmes (lvl 9) without having achieved an honours bachelors degree. In addition, most H.Dip courses that I've seen don't require you to have done your primary degree in that field.

To qualify though for the course I think you'd need a level 8 qualification is that right? I tried to email admins but they just copy and pasted what was on the website!

when you say primary degree are you talking about bachelors higher degree?

no no, a primary degree is an honours or ordinary bachelors degree so while it is probably down to the individual course/institute, there is nothing that actually prohibits or excludes you from doing a H.Dip with a level 7 qualification.

no no, a primary degree is an honours or ordinary bachelors degree so while it is probably down to the individual course/institute, there is nothing that actually prohibits or excludes you from doing a H.Dip with a level 7 qualification.

hmmm interesting!! the one i posted the link of also says theres no tuition fees which is cool!

thanks a mil for your help ill have to look into more and try decide what i want to do :confused::)

hmmm interesting!! the one i posted the link of also says theres no tuition fees which is cool!

thanks a mil for your help ill have to look into more and try decide what i want to do :confused::)

keep in mind that even though there are no tuition fees you'll still have to pay the registration fee

keep in mind that even though there are no tuition fees you'll still have to pay the registration fee

ah ye but at least that wont b anythin near a price of tuition fees :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

What you need to do is a Higher Diploma which will get you to level 8.

You're at level 7 now with your diploma/ordinary degree so have a look out for a level 8 H. Dip course which are normally run 1 year full time or 2 year part time. I know DIT do a range.

Following successful completion of the higher diploma you could then go onto a masters, i.e. level 9. Some h.dip courses lead directly onto masters programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

ah ye but at least that wont b anythin near a price of tuition fees :D

Registration €1,500 (afaik for UL) that's still a nice chunk of change :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

hey Gibson what ever happened on this? just interested as im in the same boat and thinkin of the same idea.

Advertisement