Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying squirrels - protected species?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Are flying squirrels a protected species in Ireland? Is it generally considered acceptable to keep them as pets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do you mean sugar-gliders? They aren't native to Ireland and it does seem to be accepted to keep them as pets. It's not acceptable to me though as personally I don't think its possible to provide them with enough space in a captive environment that they will be at all happy in. Also according to Chester Zoo it is quite difficult to keep them alive and even harder to breed them. Personally I have the same view of all caged birds though and not many people agree with me on that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Not acceptable to me either - but I was wondering about the law on protected species rather than the acceptability.

http://www.ispca.ie/Exotic-Animals.aspx

Irrelevant if it's protected, endangered or as common as house-flies apparantly :rolleyes:

I thought flying squirrel was a term used for sugar-gliders so I just checked and no they're two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

http://www.ispca.ie/Exotic-Animals.aspx

Irrelevant if it's protected, endangered or as common as house-flies apparantly :rolleyes:

I thought flying squirrel was a term used for sugar-gliders so I just checked and no they're two different things.

Hm, so it's not illegal to keep these poor little creatures in cages as 'pets'.

Hm, so it's not illegal to keep these poor little creatures in cages as 'pets'.

Or elephants, or tigers, or American Bald Eagles for that matter:p

I'm getting the impression you either know some-one who has them in a small cage or have seen them in a pet shop or something. I would expect 'suitable living conditions' which as far as I'm aware is part of the animal welfare laws would at least require some sort of large heated aviary set-up of some kind. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Do you mean sugar-gliders? They aren't native to Ireland and it does seem to be accepted to keep them as pets. It's not acceptable to me though as personally I don't think its possible to provide them with enough space in a captive environment that they will be at all happy in. Also according to Chester Zoo it is quite difficult to keep them alive and even harder to breed them. Personally I have the same view of all caged birds though and not many people agree with me on that :p

Well I have no idea what the hell Chester zoo are talking about! Sugar glider do make the most wonderful pets - they tame down so well & hug their human trees (their humans) I have bred many many babies over the years! I will get gliders again soon!

Gliders tend to have twins in their pouches - suggies are marsupials & are not related to squirrels!

Yes you can keep flying squirrels these can also tame down very well (although I have never owned any of this species)

FAYESY wrote: »
    Well I have no idea what the hell Chester zoo are talking about! Sugar glider do make the most wonderful pets - they tame down so well & hug their human trees (their humans) I have bred many many babies over the years! I will get gliders again soon!

Gliders tend to have twins in their pouches - suggies are marsupials & are not related to squirrels!

Yes you can keep flying squirrels these can also tame down very well (although I have never owned any of this species)

I was actually living in Chester when I first heard of them and became interested as i've had chipmunks in the past. I contacted the zoo as they had them and they told me they had them in a large heated display and couldn't see how it could be possible to keep them in an enclosure any less elaborate than that, thought I might still have the e-mail but appears not.
    Just assumed they would know what they were doing. But as I've already said personnally I don't like birds being caged either.
    When I had chipmunks they had a homemade enclosure which took up the whole garage, you can comfortably fit 4 cars in there. It was also heated with the rest of the house as it was never actually used as a garage and there had been plans at one stage to convert it into an extra bedroom.

Advertisement