Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses

Options
  • 11-07-2010 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

right, sorry if this is a stupid thread, but I don't know Dublin well at all and the Dublin Bus website is a pile of ****e. I'll be in Dublin for a few days soon, and so obviously I'll need to get buses. I'll be traveling pretty much all over the place, Donaghmede to Dun Laoighre to Terenure for example, and so I'm just wondering is it worth my while getting one of those 3-day tickets? I have no idea how much a bus journey of any length in Dublin costs. Which ticket should I get, because there seems to be a few of them? Also, are there any areas I should just be careful of when I'm passing through? I've heard stories about dodgy characters on some buses, it doesn't bother me a lot, but a heads up would be nice.
    Any info is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wouldn't worry about dodgy characters in Dun Laoghaire or Terenure anyway :P

All DB area is one zone as far as the rambler tickets go so a 3-day rambler will do the job. If you happen to have an iPhone get the Dublin Buster app immediately, 4 quid and the handiest piece of kit ever.

Must say I find the website grand, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

sdonn wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about dodgy characters in Dun Laoghaire or Terenure anyway :P

All DB area is one zone as far as the rambler tickets go so a 3-day rambler will do the job. If you happen to have an iPhone get the Dublin Buster app immediately, 4 quid and the handiest piece of kit ever.

haha yeah I knew that alright
    Thanks anyway, don't have an iPhone, but I'll get on that rambler ticket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Rambler works out expensive if for example, it's something like Day One Terenure to town, switch to Donaghmede bus, stay out there all day and do the reverse trip in the evening. If you use a daily Rambler for that it will cost 6 euro (or 4.40 or so in a three pack), if you use two Travel 90s it will cost 3.60 euro.

If in the one day you have to go Terenure to town to Donaghmede, back to town out to Dun Laoghaire, back to town, stay in town for a bit, then back to Terenure, then the Rambler is better value.

Alright thanks man, that makes it clear. Like I said, I'm not sure how much an "average" bus journey costs anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Donaghmede to DL would be quicker and probably more comfortable on the DART

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Donaghmede to DL would be quicker and probably more comfortable on the DART
    do be telling......how much is a journey on this rapid transit system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Have to agree with sdonn. Easy to find fare information, network maps, routes, ticket information, and timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

do be telling......how much is a journey on this rapid transit system?

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp
    €2.75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I'm not sure if you saw this, but here is the network map showing all dublin bus's routes.

Average cash fare for a bus journey is 1.80 to 2.20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Downtime wrote: »
    Have to agree with sdonn. Easy to find fare information, network maps, routes, ticket information, and timetables.

My sarcasm detector is on the blink today so I can't tell if you're serious or taking the piss. The fact that you can't easily find out how to get between two locations, what buses to take, how much the ticket(s) will cost or how long your journey will take makes everything else on the DB site irrelevant and useless.

OP, unless you're a broke student, buy a 3 day rambler for peace of mind. You won't need to worry about carrying change, getting the correct ticket or paying extra if you get lost and have to double back. Don't be afraid to ask the bus driver when you get on - most will be more than glad to help you and will call you when you need to get off the bus.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    My sarcasm detector is on the blink today so I can't tell if you're serious or taking the piss. The fact that you can't easily find out how to get between two locations, what buses to take, how much the ticket(s) will cost or how long your journey will take makes everything else on the DB site irrelevant and useless.
    Exactly! I feel like less of a dope now
    Thanks everyone, that map is the best I've seen. With a 3-day rambler ticket all should go well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Each timetable page on the Dublin Bus site has a link to a Google Map showing where the bus stops are.

spurious wrote: »
    Each timetable page on the Dublin Bus site has a link to a Google Map showing where the bus stops are.
    But I can't get a timetable page Joe, it's a scandal. It's alright, I have a map now.

Advertisement