Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capones

Options
  • 11-07-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone else noticed the signs around knocknacarra saying " Capones arriving soon " .

Anyone know what it is ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

gabbo_fabbo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

AFAIK it is a new chipper, yes another one.

It is going to be located on Kingston Rd across from Joyce's of Knocknacara. In the same retail units as David Martin Hairdressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Should do a bomb, knocknacarra is crying out for a decent curry chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Deffintly an untaped market in knocknacara if its coming there. Only placethey really have is cappagh chinease at the far end of it, and salthill at the other side. Noting else really around.

If they do it right, will make a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Columc wrote: »
    Deffintly an untaped market in knocknacara if its coming there. Only placethey really have is cappagh chinease at the far end of it, and salthill at the other side. Noting else really around.

Marios/Morellis in Barna have lovely thick-cut chips.

It's no Del Rios though. Nowhere has ever lived up to their chips. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

If they do it right, will make a lot of money
    I hope they do make the cash, but I think their precise location is their first mistake. Yes Knocknacarra needs a decent chipper, but they are looking to open it at a busy intersection with no on site/street parking.

The following would have been better if possible
    • In Joyces centre itself
    • Up beside Clybaun Stores
    Unless they create a reputation for having some of the best chips in Galway and eat-in seating, people are not going to park in Joyces car park and walk over. The chips would be cold before you get back to the car. With a busy road like that, with kids, it's also an accident waiting to happen. I know there's a signal controlled pedestrian crossing, but still. As I pulled up to the junction recently and spotted them getting the place ready, I thought (in the following order)...
    1. Wuhoo!
    2. Crap, where do I park?
    3. Meh, I'll keep on going to Salthill.
    Looking forward to the opening though, at least it will offer a local option where there was none before.

I never went over to that retail area, so unaware of the parking situation. But if thats the case, then I agree with you that aprking would be a major issue. Im not a mad man for the chipper ether, might get one every other month or so, and ya salthill or mario's is barna are the only options so far. And have to say salthill has went down hill recently with only having salt and pepper(used to be lovely but now i find it not the same) and supermacs now.

Oh tho, if I ever was at cork will be ahrd stoping me heading over to the linuses chipper. Thats what we really need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

A new take away in Knocknacarra would be great. I was surprised when there was no restaurant/cafe/take away incorporated into the new Knocknacarra Dunnes/B&Q centre. There is the place above the pharmacy, which is pretty bad imo. I always thought a take away in there would do very well. We could do with another pub or two out here also. Sheridans is lovely but depending on where you live out here, it can be a bit of a walk. 1 mile for me, which is grand in good summer but not so great in winter. Anyway, a take away...:)

I always thought a take away in there would do very well.

It would do well, but if one was there I more then likely would never go there, would like to avoid that stupid carpark as much as possible. they really made a bollox out of it. I try to avoid joyces to do my weekly shoping cause of the place being ridiculus but avoid dunnes for thsoe bits and bobs i forgot for my weekly shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"Gonna make you a snackbox you can't refuse".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Columc wrote: »
    It would do well, but if one was there I more then likely would never go there, would like to avoid that stupid carpark as much as possible. they really made a bollox out of it.
    I agree about the carpark. It's a crazy design. There should be a ramp going directly down to the underground carpark from the entrance to the centre. It's hardly used at present because you have to drive all the way through the surface carpark to get to it. However, Joyce's is just a free-for-all. God, I dread the thought of going into that place.

+1 re: Joyces car park, it's terrible. If I recall when they were building it back in the day, one of the terms was that they leave a percentage of the land as a green area. Which they did. As a result though it's such a high risk area to negotiate with a car. It wouldn't surprise me if it was designed that way intentionally so the locals would eventually start pushing for the green area to be removed and the car park extended to make it more convenient/safer. I have lived in Knocknacarra now for years, yet have never set food in that green area. It's not a shortcut to anywhere. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it was re-zoned, as it's not exactly blooming with trees/flowers.

On the subject of underground parking, that would probably have worked for Joyces (akin to SuperValu on Fr. Griffin Rd), but it's a bit late now. Look at the underground car park over @ Dunnes. People fight for parking at street level, yet the underground never passes about 5-10% occupancy. I always found that particularly interesting. I bet if the exit from the travellators was closer to Dunnes front door it would be used more. Instead they're right outside the door of the 2 smallest shops/units in the retail park.

If they had designed that right, there should be a travellator coming up from the car park straight in to Dunnes, just like you can walk from level 4 of the car park in Eyre Square, straight in to their drapery section and then escalators straight in to Edward Square. Now that was a good idea.

Anyway, chipper, unless the food is fantastic they will probably be as unsuccessful as Blakes ready meals at the other end of Knocknacarra Rd (and they even have a few spaces for cars outside their door). I hope I'm wrong because I wish all local businesses every success these days, but just because Knocknacarra needs more stuff, doesn't mean that people flock to it. It has to be convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Sorry this is a bit long, but I know how seriously Galway boardsies take their fast food!

Gave the new Capone's a go earlier this evening, and overall, I have to say I was very disappointed and probably wouldn't bother going back.

Nice interior (airy and spacious), but the service was atrocious and the food not really up to much.

Ordered a large chips (€2.80) and a 1/4 pounder (€3.50) for take-away, and I waited, and waited, and waited. 25 minutes later (I exaggerate, it was actually 23 minutes wait), I got the food and had a check to make sure everything was right before I drove off.

Chips (usual Italian type jobbies) were a very small portion and only lukewarm and the burger bun was about two times too big for the burger. Not only that, I specified just burger sauce on the burger (she wrote it down on a docket), and instead got a pile of mayo that had congealed and turned almost to cheese. Chips tasted grand though and the burger meat was fine if a bit stingy.

I will accept that the place only opened at the weekend and will have teething problems, but the staff were quite clueless:

- Girl taking orders wandering aimlessly around the place asking tables if they had ordered yet, moments after another waitress had been over apologising for the delay in getting their food (saw three different groups getting apologies).

- She then had to be told to answer the phone, which had rang out moments earlier, so I wouldn't bother phoning in an order.

- In the kitchen (you can see through a hatch), the cook was quite obviously preparing each order individually i.e. my burger wasn't put on until 5 mins before I was given my order, because she was working on someone else's pizza. No fcuking wonder I was waiting 25 mins.

Me and one other guy waiting for take-aways and about five tables (the place was less than one-fifth full I'd say) occupied. Hate to see them on a busy weekend.

How not to run a business, and how not to get my return custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Just rang them there to order a take away (as dont feel like doing shopping in this biblical rain) only to be told the delievery guy is gone home :mad:
    Maybe they just finding their feet. But wont be a calling them again..

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Just rang them there to order a take away (as dont feel like doing shopping in this biblical rain) only to be told the delievery guy is gone home :mad:
    Maybe they just finding their feet. But wont be a calling them again..

That's not good, I was going to give them a go soon too....might wait a bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Just got chicken burger & cheeseburger and a large portion of chips from them.

It was pretty quiet when we were in, just two tables eating in and another customer waiting for her takeway order. No problems with staff or anything.

Burgers were quite nice actually. Chips were grand too, but we thought the portion was a little small for a large. Parking round the back was handy.

I would go again. Its handy for Knocknacarra and the food was pretty much on a par with the takeaway in salthill or the one beside the Roisin anyway.

Not sure of the price comparison - I can never remember prices of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Looks nice from the outside and I noticed that they have a website www.capones.ie ...which doesn't work. Nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

soundbyte wrote: »
    Marios/Morellis in Barna have lovely thick-cut chips.

It's no Del Rios though. Nowhere has ever lived up to their chips. :(

are you for real they are ripoffs in the highest order,a scabby punnit of chips and they advertise their fish as fresh,so why do they take it out of the freezer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    are you for real they are ripoffs in the highest order,a scabby punnit of chips and they advertise their fish as fresh,so why do they take it out of the freezer :mad:

Maybe it was fresh when it went into the freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Maybe it was fresh when it went into the freezer?

Well it'd be awful cheeky to put rotten fish in the freezer now in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

id definitely give them a chance lads. maybe leave it for a month or so and then give them another try. often with new places opening it takes a while for them to get everything right. went to kfc when it first opened and was very disappinted. chicken was asoggy mess. gave it another go a few weeks later and it was much improved.
    i will say that the only thing that put me off capones was the uniforms. i felt embarassed for the staff who had to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭turbojunkie

Well I decided to give Capones a go this evening and I have to say I was very impressed. I didnt have high hopes after reading some of the reviews here but I really enjoyed it. I'm guessing they must be ironing out the teething problems.

I only called in for a take away and parked round the back. Ordered one of the 1/3lb burgers, chips and a drink and didnt have long to wait at all. I only live 2 mins drive down the road, took the food home and just about managed to finish it and thought it was very tasty, particularly the burger.

The only thing I would say against the place was that it doesn't have an alcohol licence. I'd say a pizza and beer would go down nicely there :cool:

Hopefully they have sorted out their problems as the area was crying out for a good take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I too am only about 2 minutes down the road. I tried it last Saturday.

Staff couldn't be nicer. I was on my own and asked if they'd a newspaper I could read. The girl there said that they had them earlier, but they'd disappeared but she could run over to the shop (Joyce's) and get me one. Of course I told her not to bother, I'd be fine.

My burger and chips arrived. Burger was good; not brilliant, but good. Chips were good, but too big a portion for me to finish (which is pretty unprecedented in my case).

So, I'm just digging into the grub, and the same girl arrives over with an Indo and an Evening Herald, all apologies that it took so long! You just don't get this service anywhere nowadays.

Sure, the place isn't perfect, but when they treat their customers like that they really deserve to do well.

By the way, I heard the same girl telling another customer that they would be serving beer in a few weeks. I'll definitely be down there for the odd burger and beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Well I decided to give Capones a go this evening

Howya Al.

Sorry for digging this thread up again, but it had to be done. There are enough businesses struggling out there at the moment and if they provide a good service they deserve the public praise IMO.

Without a shadow of doubt, this, after my first visit, became what I would consider the best quick bite diner certainly this side of the city. There are no places in Salthill or Barna with food that tastes this good. Also in my last post I complained about the parking. As others have noted, it's around the back, problem solved.

They have the nicest chips. I know the hardcore "McDonaghs Only" crowd will kick up, but jesus lads I was one of you once, but you should give this place a go and see for yourself. Next the burgers. They are not small, actually this place does not do "small" anything, and they're extremely tasty. Everything is cooked fresh and in about 5 - 10 mins.

This place may serve food quickly, but it's not stereotypical "fast food" and the service is the same. Think the exact opposite to the takeaway staff that typically look through you and chant the same thing for the 400th time today, while they go about their job that they hate with a passion. My girlfriend and I were asked was the temperature of the place OK, because the weather outside was cold at the time.

As for prices, they are similar enough to the likes of Eddie Rockets for the same type of food, but Eddie Rockets is poison in comparison.

So my advice, go there now and spend money, so my favorite place for chips isn't forced to close any time soon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Finally tried this place out last night. Got a take-away deal with 2 burgers, cans and chips. The burgers were tasty even if the basic one doesn't have a lot on it but considering the lot was €10 this is understandable.

The chips were terrible though...really soggy, not warm and a lot of them were burnt. They had obviously been sitting there for a while and were just reheated and lashed out for the takeaway customers. If I had been sitting down for a meal I would have sent them back. As it happened I only realised this when I got home so wasn't going back out in that weather. Seeing as someone said their chips were great I was looking forward to trying them but they were a big disappointment...they looked like they would have been good when they were freshly cooked and not reheated, burnt and drowned. Good chips should not be a bonus!

To finish on a positive, the place is nice, a bit of effort made with the decor and their menu has some tasty sounding reasonably priced dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

had a bacon burger and chips couple days ago - take out. it was the nicest burger I ever had. did not even need the chips with them (alto the chips were fab and yes, much better than mcdonaghs)
    will definitely be back

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Is the menu for Capones anywhere online? I've found the facebook page but no menu :(

Advertisement