Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless error

• 11-07-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I recently got UPC broadband and TV.

The TV works fine and the internet works on my Flat mates computer.

However I am having problems connecting to the internet.

I am getting full five green bars saysing I am connected however it has a yellow trianagle exclamation mark over it. When you go into it it says 'no internet access' even tho it is connected.

I have rang UPC and spent a long time on the phone to them and they have sent two guys out. They then concluded that it was a setting on my computer.

I went through everything myself. I uninstalled my internet security, and all fire walls. went through the windows security, and turned everything off.

The trouble shoot error states "problem with DNS server" which I would presume is UPC??

So i brought it to the 'laptop shop' and pc worlds 'tech guys' both of whom said there is no problem with my laptop.

So has anyone else had this problem?

My Laptop is a Sony Vaio NW20EF with windows 7

Alternativly if I close my UPC account is there any other good packages for TV and Broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Have you tried completely removing the Wireless network profile from your laptop and rejoining it? Sounds like the wrong network key was entered to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Can you connect via a cable? Plug laptop into router and just verify there is not a problem with the router itself? If that works then it is either wireless settings on either laptop or wireless setup in router?

Regards,
    sombaht

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Does you laptop connect to other wireless networks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's nothing to do with the wireless password as he is connecting to the network, he wouldn't be connecting in the password was incorrect.

It's a DNS issue by the sound of things.
    Check the DNS Server settings on the laptop.
    Either set it to the default DNS or to something like Open DNS, cause at the moment it looks like the settings have been manually changed on your laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

It's nothing to do with the wireless password as he is connecting to the network, he wouldn't be connecting in the password was incorrect.

It's a DNS issue by the sound of things.
    Check the DNS Server settings on the laptop.
    Either set it to the default DNS or to something like Open DNS, cause at the moment it looks like the settings have been manually changed on your laptop.

Sorry my mistake the OP is using Windows 7 :p. XP & 2k would almost let you enter what you liked once it was done twice and connect!

OP Click on Start and type cmd where is says "Search program and files" hit return you should get a black command prompt window then type ipconfig /all scroll back up and look for a section titled Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection and post back the following info

DHCP Enabled:
    IPv4 Address:
    Default Gateway:
    DNS Servers:

What make and model of router are you using with your UPC modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Swapp3r

I am having the same problem. UPC only use ip4 for dns. If you have the latest software installed, then try unticking the ip6 option when you manage your adapter settings. You'll need do do this for any wired and wireless connections. It is causing me terrible problems - we've just moved over from the UK and all my equipment works perfectly on any other wireless network - just not my own. UPC pretty useless about it too - they told me to ring Dell because there was a problem with my laptop....
    Is there a better way to manage this? New cable modem that uses docsis 3? Hardcoding dns servers? Any clever people out there know an answer to this? Can't believe UPC doesn't offer any solution to this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Swapp3r wrote: »
    I am having the same problem. UPC only use ip4 for dns. If you have the latest software installed, then try unticking the ip6 option when you manage your adapter settings. You'll need do do this for any wired and wireless connections. It is causing me terrible problems - we've just moved over from the UK and all my equipment works perfectly on any other wireless network - just not my own. UPC pretty useless about it too - they told me to ring Dell because there was a problem with my laptop....
    Is there a better way to manage this? New cable modem that uses docsis 3? Hardcoding dns servers? Any clever people out there know an answer to this? Can't believe UPC doesn't offer any solution to this...

Well they're right.
    UPC aren't gonna advise you on the settings of your PC, nobody is.
    Most technical support agents are only gonna be trained on the settings of their own companies systems.

UPC work on IP4 and that's all that they're gonna support.

Advertisement