Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dog Breeding Bill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Not really. A few things things that popped out to me

1) Any premises with 6 breeding female dogs is exempt from the bill. Why is this the case? Why would one want so many female dogs. This should be for rescue centres and places like the ISPCA. Any other premises should'nt be exempt.
    2) Inspections will not be mandatory. In my opinion expections should be mandatory.
    3) The working group recommended that dog breeding establishments be defined based on the number of female dogs with breeding potential present on the premises. Therefore, a dog breeding establishment would be defined as “a premises containing more than 5 female dogs, aged over 4 months, with breeding potential”. What the hell? breeding a dog at 4 months old is very very wrong. A dog shouldnt be bread before two years old.
    4) Hunt clubs are exempt from paying charges. This is no help either.

Again its stated "The Bill defines a dog breeding establishment as a premises at which not less than six bitches are kept, each of which is more than four months old and capable of being used for breeding purposes. I have signalled that I am willing to change the minimum age from four to six months in response to calls in the Seanad but this does not invalidate the sensible reason for the four month minimum, which was to ensure that every dog with breeding potential is included. It does not mean I am setting down a marker for when breeding should start"

Was this bill passed and did they pass the bill for a 140 euro licence for the liufetime of the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

The new fees will vary in accordance with the number of breeding bitches so as to reflect the size and scale of the operation, as recommended by the working group. To that end the appropriate fee bands will be as follows: in the case of a dog breeding establishment at which six to 18 eligible bitches are kept, €400; for 19 to 30 bitches, €800; for 31 to 100 bitches, €1,600; for 101 to 200 bitches, €3,000; and a further €1,600 for each 100 bitches thereafter. The fee will be payable to the local authority and the moneys raised are intended to cover the costs of regulation and inspection. Any remaining balance will be spent on dog control in generalHere is the cost layed out

Sure that amount per year would not put puppy farms out, considering some farms have 600 breeding bitches. Imagine the amount of money made from their pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

And we all know these puppy farmers are the most honest sort of people...I'm sure they wouldn't dream of having dogs at more than one location to avoid paying fees :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Where will they get the info on where all these breeding bitches are. e.g. If I was a puppy farmer with 60 bitches, breeding 300 pups or more per year, selling to several dog dealers for cash only who in turn are shipping the puppies out of the country. I live down a lonely country lane keep my shop in reasonable order and keep to myself.

Advertisement