Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest of wasps

Options
  • 11-07-2010 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

We have a nest of wasps in the garden , which obviously we would like to get rid of ASAP. Does anyone have any idea who could do this for us and the rough charge for it ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I found a nest of bees in my shed , also looking for advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Are they causing any problems, if not leave them there, they are one of many gardeners' best friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

You can get pesticide for the job and do it yourself. Or some form of spray on glue and pesticide. A more humane way to go about it would be to park up your BBQ under the nest and smoke them out. Then remove the nest.
    Night time is the best time cause they'll all be snuggled up inside the nest. :D

I had a nest outside my house years back and went all kinds of wrong ways about it. Eventually ended up pretty much burning down half the front garden :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

I had a nest in my front garden about two years ago and i used a company called Ecolab to get rid of them. They were very professional - just came and smoked them out. It cost around €200 but was definitely worth it. The wasps were very agressive, they were comng into the house and I was afraid they would attack our neighbours young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Barr wrote: »
    I found a nest of bees in my shed last weekend , also looking for advise?

I think bees are protected. AFAIK it's normally not too hard to find someone who will come remove it for free in exchange for being able to keep the hive though.

This chap for example is in Cork - http://www.beeremovalcork.com/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I found a nest of bees in my shed , also looking for advise?

I have sent you a pm , if they are honey bees I'll take them away for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Are they causing any problems, if not leave them there, they are one of many gardeners' best friends!

yes they are causing problems... big ones :):) as they are located next to the kids garden swing :eek:

bertie1 wrote: »
    I have sent you a pm , if they are honey bees I'll take them away for you

Turns out its a wasps nest :mad: thanks anyway.

Hi Curly see this it will help

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966202

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Go to B&Q and pick up a can of wasp nest destroyer foam (about €3). Spray at nest. Run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

yes they are causing problems... big ones :):) as they are located next to the kids garden swing :eek:

Ah thats fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Like Padraig said, B&Q or Woodies, Wasp nest foam is the man for the job. Do it at night time. You might have to do it two nights in a row, there are always a few tough nuts that can ride out the first wave of foam. I had a nest last year and they were nasty critters. They attacked the neighbours cat and everything. Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

great thanks all....my husband is quite fast over a short distance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

5 euro worth of petrol and a match

Good thinking , apart there would be no shed left either :)

From experience... That doesn't work out very well. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Bill-e wrote: »
    From experience... That doesn't work out very well. :eek:

i think the vapours from the petrol will get them to leave,

although i have heard of a guy trying to get rid of a bees nest and was told to put petrol on it, he assumed that meant light it aswell! cue flames wrecking a bit of the garden:)

I went to B&Q this eve and bought a foam - sprayed them and hope it works

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Owl Pest Control

If the nest is small it may be ok to spray it but be careful that it does not fall off during the process, as wasps from inside the nest will fly out fast and be very aggressive!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

the petrol and match works alright but you need two (quick on their feet) people and im not saying anyone should try it at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If the nest is small it may be ok to spray it but be careful that it does not fall off during the process, as wasps from inside the nest will fly out fast and be very aggressive!;)
    Happened to me :eek:
    Result :)

Just keep an eye on it because IIRC if the queen has survived (probably doubtful) she is likely to set up again close by.

Did the foam dissolve away the nest or what?

Was there a pile of dead wasps on the floor?

Bill-e wrote: »
    Did the foam dissolve away the nest or what?

Was there a pile of dead wasps on the floor?

Yip the whole top of the nest fell off and found loads of bodies and larva type stuff on the floor.

Advertisement