Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc and there "threats"

• 11-07-2010 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I recieved a letter this week saying that I have gone over my usage limit with my account. That's funny because I have unlimited!

Obviously this has happened before to other people. I am just wondering if people have made any headway with this sort of stuff as I am quite upset (angry) with this letter.

I do not download movies, music etc. I host a number of files on my home network that is available over the net. Including my website. I have transfered almost 500gb in June. But I assumed that was ok.

Below is the email I just sent UPC
    Account number: xxxxxxxx

Hello,

I am emailing you today to discuss the letter I received from your Broadband Operations Manager, Paul Malone.

In the letter it states that I am being chastised for transferring over 250gb in the month of June. While I am sympathetic that I may have caused slow downs for other people using the same lines as myself (Your company does claim that each line is uncontested, yes?) in no way have I breached either the TOS or the AUP. When I signed up to UPC I was promised an unlimited download/upload allowance. When I signed up I read each and every word of the TOS and the AUP and no where does it state that I have a 250gb allowance. It does state that if I go over a limit which exists nowhere that I would be punished but as it says no where on your website that the limit is 250gb I assumed it to be an unlimited umber or near unlimited which is very fair seeing as it does in-fact say unlimited. It is not my problem your back-end can not support a user which used over the odds resources. I suggest you upgrade your system to keep up with users such as myself because in this day and age there is bound to be many of us.

My main reason for this email is to express anger at the letter I received and the poor management of this so called limit. I am also sending this letter to comreg. Also I will not be paying anything other then the amount I agreed too when I signed up. So, if I am upgraded to the so called extreme package I will not pay the extra fee.

Kindest regards

Now obviously this is not fair on my neghbours if infact I did cause them service problems but how was I to know this would happen. The claim there lines are uncontested and then claim to have unlimited service.

I hope someone from UPC gets to see this post and sorts it out for me as I will continue to upload and download and will not pay a penny more then im meant to. and if they upgrade me then I will be leaving as this is obviously a contract breech on there end.

Sorry, needed to vent :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Plenty of threads on this already, do a search. And no provider will give you unlimited broadband - there is always a fair usage policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

JDxtra wrote: »
    Plenty of threads on this already, do a search. And no provider will give you unlimited broadband - there is always a fair usage policy.

Yes ofcourse there is always a fair usage policy, but theres fails to state there is any hardcap on my broadband usage.

I know there are plenty of other threads but I felt it neccesarry to maximise my chances of someone from UPC coming across my complaint as usually the people in the call center's only give you a canned response and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Limericks wrote: »
    Hey there,

I recieved a letter this week saying that I have gone over my usage limit with my account. That's funny because I have unlimited!

Obviously this has happened before to other people. I am just wondering if people have made any headway with this sort of stuff as I am quite upset (angry) with this letter.

I do not download movies, music etc. I host a number of files on my home network that is available over the net. Including my website. I have transfered almost 500gb in June. But I assumed that was ok.

Below is the email I just sent UPC

Now obviously this is not fair on my neghbours if infact I did cause them service problems but how was I to know this would happen. The claim there lines are uncontested and then claim to have unlimited service.

I hope someone from UPC gets to see this post and sorts it out for me as I will continue to upload and download and will not pay a penny more then im meant to. and if they upgrade me then I will be leaving as this is obviously a contract breech on there end.

Sorry, needed to vent :)

Oh thats ok. What makes ya think youre gonna get away with that amount.

I really cant understand why you need to use that much. You need to get some other means of internet connection and stop using a residential line. Fair usage is a loosely based statement but you are riding it.

johnnyjb wrote: »
    Oh thats ok. What makes ya think youre gonna get away with that amount.

I really cant understand why you need to use that much. You need to get some other means of internet connection and stop using a residential line. Fair usage is a loosely based statement but you are riding it.

Well, like I said. There service is meant to be unlimited. As in no end to it. 500 gb or 500 tb it should make no odds. I serve files off my home server and it does not cost me any extra. I do not wish to take on another bill to have a server in a datacenter.

I maybe riding the AUP but obviously I am not the only one who is in the same boat as I am. It's not fair to claim unlimited usage only too chastise people who go over the norm in there eyes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I do not download movies, music etc. I host a number of files on my home network that is available over the net. Including my website.

So your using your residential ISP's connection to host a server?

That is against your ISP's Terms & Conditions,
    I have transfered almost 500gb in June. But I assumed that was ok.

I'm afraid you assumed incorrectly,
    500GB is far and excess for a residential connection for a 1 month period,

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    So your using your residential ISP's connection to host a server?

That is against your ISP's Terms & Conditions,

I'm afraid you assumed incorrectly,
    500GB is far and excess for a residential connection for a 1 month period,

Ok, then I am wrong for that. As of now I have taken my website down. Though the fact still remains the files which I had available where for personal use. My website would get maybe 10 hits a month and was a hobby more then anything.

The files I had available was not against the tos or aup
    Section 10: Internet Protocol Services

UPC broadband Internet opens up new possibilities of use with its features such as ‘always on’, and while subscribers are able to benefit from these features, UPC must also ensure that the Service is not abused to the disadvantage of the Service and subscriber group. You must not use, nor allow anyone else to use the Services to provide Internet Protocol services to the Internet populace as a whole, including other UPC users. Internet Protocol services includes, but is not limited to, HTTP, games, telnet and FTP services. However, you may provide Internet Protocol services from your computer for personal use. An example would be the running of an authenticated FTP service to enable you to access files on your home computer remotely. The following conditions apply: Any Internet Protocol services you use require authentication e.g. you are not allowed to provide anonymous FTP servers; and you are not allowed more than ten concurrent connections to the Internet Protocol services you use.

I was always aware of this clause. The files I host are project files that I am constantly transfering to computers owned by me from home to work and visa versa. This is not against there rules.

Also, obviously I assumed incorrectly about my usage. But nothing on there website would make me assume otherwise.

I appologise if I am coming off as someone who shouldnt be answered but I am just a little peeved off right now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Vodafone's unlimited is 10Gbyte
    Imagine's unlimited is 30Gbyte
    UPC's unlimited is about 240GByte. Their basic packages are a Quoted 120Gbyte. If you had asked them they may have explained this. A google would have revealed it too.

UPC pretty much have highest limits for residential.

You need serious Business package for really "unlimited". At serious money. Co-location of a server will easily give you much higher traffic in a Data centre as they have fibre. Forget it at home.

You got off lightly. Some ISPs charge as much as €820 a Gigabyte for excess traffic.

There is no such thing as as Domestic Unlimited. Complain to ASAI and Comreg to enforce clearer advertising as many ISPs have obfuscated claims.

watty wrote: »
    Vodafone's unlimited is 10Gbyte
    Imagine's unlimited is 30Gbyte
    UPC's unlimited is about 240GByte. Their basic packages are a Quoted 120Gbyte.

UPC pretty much have highest limits for residential.

You need serious Business package for really "unlimited". At serious money. Co-location of a server will easily give you many GByte traffic in a Data centre as they have fibre. Forget it at home.

I don't agree with them having the highest limits. With eircom (BEfore NGB) I easily transfered in or around the same amount of traffic without any word from them. The same goes for Irish Broadband (Now part of Imagine)

I just wish these company's would put there hard limits on there website for everyone to see. It's very annoying when you sign a 12 month contract only to find out you arent getting what you thought you where.
    watty wrote: »
    You got off lightly. Some ISPs charge as much as €820 a Gigabyte for excess traffic.

Well, if UPC tried to charge me anythign even a penny per GB extra I wouldnt pay it. You have to understand my point of view in all of this. I was lulled in by false promises of unlimited transfer when I signed up. I warned the UPC sales rep I would be using over the odds and she said it was no problem that my service was unlimited.

//EDIT actually last thing I wanted to do was cause an argument. Can a mod please close this and if a UPC rep sees it can you pm me so we can sort this out. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

TBH you were chancing your arm and got caught. You wont find much sympathy here. You cant honestly use 500gb of data transfer per month and not be aware on some level you wouldn't be effecting your neighbors.

Everyone here at some stage or another has experienced poor bb performance at peak times in one way or another and its people like you that cause a lot of it... then you come on here to whine about the fair usage policy????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom did have limits. Just they were not enforcing them.

At one stage Smart's "unlimited" was about 1000Gbyte. That wasn't economically sustainable and they went bust! (Now owned by Digiweb who have always had clear caps.)

I think you have some justification to be "peeved" if you explained in advance what you wanted.

I 100% agree all ISPs need clear specifications of Speeds and Limits. But unless ASAI and Comreg enforce a level playing field it won't happen. It's one of the things Ireland OffLine has been campaigning for.

http://irelandoffline.org/
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=682

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    TBH you were chancing your arm and got caught. You wont find much sympathy here. You cant honestly use 500gb of data transfer per month and not be aware on some level you wouldn't be effecting your neighbors.

Everyone here at some stage or another has experienced poor bb performance at peak times in one way or another and its people like you that cause a lot of it... then you come on here to whine about the fair usage policy????

Your wrong in so many of your own assumptions here.

I work peak times so im not even at home then, most of my transfer is around 9 am when I would transfer about 10gb of data too work from home and then again at about 10pm when i would then again transfer around 10gb back home from work.

The fact I was told I would have unlimited transfer by the sales rep after I told her I would be using allot of bandwidth is what gets me. Also I was told that UPC was uncontested internet meaning my habits wouldnt affect my neighbours.

Anyway I don't want to cause an argument in here so I have asked to close the thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As I have pointed out before on numerous occasions Comreg have a clear policy on this which isps chose to ignore:

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/my_service_provider_has_advertised_an_%22unlimited_package%22___what_does_this_mean_for_me.5.154.LE.asp

In particular:
    ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

And as I have pointed out before the word 'umlimited' has a specific meaning in the English language and any isp advertising any product with that label which has any limitations of any sort is lying pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

well in my opinion since he was told it was unlimited usage then it turns out not to be then UPC are at fault for being T1T heads like all the other ISP'S saying its unlimited ..the word means no limit but yet there is so it there for is not unlimited and its a disgrace that they mislead people like this 3 used to do this untill i got on the phone to them and demanded that they change their so called unlimited internet when it had a limit of 10GB very soon after that they stated the limits clearly

jay93 wrote: »
    well in my opinion since he was told it was unlimited usage then it turns out not to be then UPC are at fault for being T1T heads like all the other ISP'S saying its unlimited ..the word means no limit but yet there is so it there for is not unlimited and its a disgrace that they mislead people like this 3 used to do this untill i got on the phone to them and demanded that they change their so called unlimited internet when it had a limit of 10GB very soon after that they stated the limits clearly

So say UPC and other ISP's follow suit and have to state clearly on advertisements what their FUP is. The people who hadnt even thought of it are now seeing this figure as a target.... eventually the ISP has to lower the FUP cap seeing as these folks are now working towards the "target" set.

So instead of a slightly shady 250 gb fup we now have a 150 gb clearly advertised FUP. Will that make you happy?

Your wrong in so many of your own assumptions here.

Well assumptions are all we have as you gave none of that info in your initial post?
    then again at about 10pm when i would then again transfer around 10gb back home from work.

10PM is still peak time, peak time would traditionally end around 2300hrs - 0000hrs based on majority demographic of the subscriber base.

The fact I was told I would have unlimited transfer by the sales rep after I told her I would be using allot of bandwidth is what gets me. Also I was told that UPC was uncontested internet meaning my habits wouldnt affect my neighbours.

Call upc and ask for the recording, if they told you this then you have ever right in the world otherwise if they did mention the FUP to you then too bad.

So say UPC and other ISP's follow suit and have to state clearly on advertisements what their FUP is. The people who hadnt even thought of it are now seeing this figure as a target.... eventually the ISP has to lower the FUP cap seeing as these folks are now working towards the "target" set.

So instead of a slightly shady 250 gb fup we now have a 150 gb clearly advertised FUP. Will that make you happy?

Absolute nonsense. If they are marketing a 250g product under the guise of an 'unlimited' product they are required to inform their potential customers of that by Comreg's policy.

You are actually advocating that businesses should be encouraged to lie to people in case people realise what are actually paying for and decide to use it?

Entering into a contract with any company should not involve a guessing game on the part of the customer.:rolleyes:

"Slightly shady" ???????????????????????????????????

It is up to an isp to monitor their network use and offer products that can actually provide the quality that the customer contracts for not deceive or mislead customers. As I said before any company advertising an unlimited product that has any qualifications attached to it is lying pure and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

That makes no sense. If upc cleary marked out a cap they would evidently loose customers. Instead they falsely advertise the package as being unlimited.

Nobody here understands that the argument isnt over the size of the cap but the sheer arrogant's and stupidity of not putting it in there tos and assuming people would just follow the cap they know nothing of.

The problem i dont understand is that they simply push you up to another package which is the same in every way but is infact unlimited!!!

They argue over it being fair usage but allow you to do as much as you want if you pay a twice as much. Meaning upc dont care about the other effected users of your downloading.

At this point i couldnt care less im still going to be using them as they are better then any other isp!

Thor wrote: »
    That makes no sense. If upc cleary marked out a cap they would evidently loose customer. Instead they falsely advertise the package as being unlimited.

Nobody here understands that the argument isnt over the size of the cap but the sheer arrogant's and stupidity of not putting it in there tos and assuming people would just follow the cap they know nothing of.

The problem i dont understand is that they simply push you up to another package which is the same in every way but is infact unlimited!!!

They argue over it being fair usage but allow you to do as much as you want if you pay a twice as much. Meaning upc dont care about the other affected users of your downloading.

At this point i couldnt care less im still going to be using them as they are better then any other isp!

Indeed!:rolleyes:

Oh jesus do something about it then if it bothers you that much :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is going no where so lets end it now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement