Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone put up a Christmas tree already!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

I put my tree up on the nite of the Late Late Toy Show which is the last Fri in Nov. Im always the 1st of my neighbours to do it but within a week of mine going up theres usually 4 or 5 that have followed suit :D This year it will be the 26th Nov.
    Our routine is have an early dinner and then myself and the kids spend 2 hours putting up the tree while the hubby pretends hes not interested but constantly comes into the room and tells me to spread the lights out more or put more tinsil on :) then we get into our pjs and sit down to watch the Toy Show. Even if the Toy Show wasnt to be on the last fri of Nov, christmas will always start in our house on this day as last year my baby girl died on the 29th Nov (5 days old) so we want to involve her in Christmas by having our Christmas tree up every year for her anniversary.

What do you think, is 20th of Nov way too early for puttin up the tree :o Like I said in my earlier post, we want to involve our baby girl, Freyas, memory in christmas for our other 3 kids and I was with the preist the other day booking her anniversary mass and the closest date that I could get to the 29th was the 21st Nov. So the mass is a week before the anniversary and my eldest is upset because the tree mite not be up for it!
    I dont mind putting it up a week early but at the same time dont want the neighbours thinkin iv completely lost the plot:p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

lizt wrote: »
    The block I'm in has a block beside it, so it forms kind of an l shape with a space in the middle, so I can see EVERYTHING they do...

That sounds a bit creepy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

What do you think, is 20th of Nov way too early for puttin up the tree :o Like I said in my earlier post, we want to involve our baby girl, Freyas, memory in christmas for our other 3 kids and I was with the preist the other day booking her anniversary mass and the closest date that I could get to the 29th was the 21st Nov. So the mass is a week before the anniversary and my eldest is upset because the tree mite not be up for it!
    I dont mind putting it up a week early but at the same time dont want the neighbours thinkin iv completely lost the plot:p

Ah don't worry about the neighbours. You should do what is right for you and your family. Sure, your putting it up a few days earlier than most, but theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. I've seen some Christmas items in shops as early as August so go right ahead. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Ah don't worry about the neighbours. You should do what is right for you and your family. Sure, your putting it up a few days earlier than most, but theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. I've seen some Christmas items in shops as early as August so go right ahead. :)

I second this, it really is only a few days in the difference go for it. Do what we do, just put up the tree at first then add more decorations to the house each day until you're finished!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Do you know at the end of the day ,you have to do best for you and your family,and if putting the tree up early, makes you all a little bit happier then I say go ahead...If the neighbours are all you are worried about.close the curtains and shut the nosey ones out and enjoy your family christmas as best you can..

You know i only took mine down at easter...it was up since halloween,the fairy lights and some of the decs are still up inside the house.....I had one of those lets do something silly years...at least its a memory for the children..So put up and enjoy your early christmas tree...:)Bright blessings to you and yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

lockie1983 wrote: »
    That sounds a bit creepy!!

Not really, there are quite a few houses on my road that have those pull down blinds, but the never pull them down.

On dark evenings coming up to Christmas you can see everything in their front room, them and *their Tree*.

My tree is always in the center of the window and I close the curtains to meet both sides of it, so all you can see is the tree.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭angel_wings

Thanks all. Yeah your all right, considering Im putting it up early because its my daughters anniversary you would think the neighbours would be the last thing on my mind. :(

As was said, Il do whats best for me, my dh and the kids :)

Putting the tree up 1st and then just adding decorations in other areas of the house as the wk goes on is a good idea!

So there it is MY tree will be up on the 20th November :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

My neighbour has their Christmas tree and lights up already. When walking down past the house later, they also have the hall decorated.

That is far to early !!!!!

I like Christmas, but not in the first week of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I'm all for getting the tree up as early as possible but that's a bit much.
    Way too early! It makes Christmas less exciting when the decorations are up for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

O My Sweet God! What is wrong with some people? Check and see if they have the Easter Eggs under it as well???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's NEVER too early to have your decorations up! Brilliant! :D

Although, I bow to the rest of my family and don't put mine up until the last week of November though.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I'm still taking down all the Halloween stuff..Why the hell would such a person do that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I must have to say i think it is too early for a tree but im very tempted myself to put up a tree within the next week or two. Too much doom and gloom happening and the place needs cheerfulness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Now that is too early.

I thought people putting them up on the 1st of December was early enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Also

What the what?! It's only early November! That is wahaayyy to early and if that tree's real it'll be dead by the time Christmas rolls around :eek:

Posy wrote: »
    It's NEVER too early to have your decorations up! Brilliant! :D
    What about February?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

A christmas tree should never be taken down, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Did you know know that Christmas lasts for 3 months ?

I don't know what people are complaining about its always Christmas in my attic.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

my neighbor has the decorations up since october

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Crazy! Maybe they just didn't take them down since last year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Woman next door to my mom takes down the spook decor the first of nov then up with xmas decor same day. Then come st stephens day the lot comes down again. Can't work that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Fair play to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Tesco down the road from us has there Xmas tree up and merry Xmas signs up alreAdy

Selection boxes in store since october

Mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

antocann wrote: »
    my neighbor has the decorations up since october

Mother of God!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

One of my neighbours never took the xmas lights down from last xmas (they have been on the windows all year), all the have to do is plug them in......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

i think around the 8th is the most common time to put trees up - is it? I tried it a couple of years but by the time Stephens Day came I was so sick of sweeping up pine needles that I could not wait to get the tree down - I took it down before 6th January.

Now I find that if I put it up just one week before christmas, I am still enjoying it by the time 6th January comes round and am sad to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

To be honest I don't care what people think, if someone puts their tree up early. It's their decision.
    They can put it up whenever they like. There was another thread and people have a million different reasons for putting their decs up - A relative's anniversary, just to feel good, etc.
    That so called 'rule' that you put your stuff up after Dec 8th is so boring. And also that it's bad luck to leave decorations up all year.
    Rules are supposed to be broken. If someone wants to put their stuff up in March, so be it. And fair play to them for doing things out of the ordinary. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

alibabba wrote: »
    Woman next door to my mom takes down the spook decor the first of nov then up with xmas decor same day. Then come st stephens day the lot comes down again. Can't work that out!

I put the decorations and tree up as late as I can, but then I never take them down until Little Christmas, so they are still up 2/3 weeks. The twelve days of Christmas don't end to the new year, so don't put in my decorations up to early.

First week of November is ffffffffaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr to early though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

To be honest I don't care what people think, if someone puts their tree up early. It's their decision.
    They can put it up whenever they like. There was another thread and people have a million different reasons for putting their decs up - A relative's anniversary, just to feel good, etc.
    That so called 'rule' that you put your stuff up after Dec 8th is so boring. And also that it's bad luck to leave decorations up all year.
    Rules are supposed to be broken. If someone wants to put their stuff up in March, so be it. And fair play to them for doing things out of the ordinary. :p

you are the only one mentioning "rules" - :D:D:D
    I said that dates is the most COMMON time i.e. lots of trees seem to appear after this weekend - however nobody has mentioned that it is a "rule" except yuorself. :p

Advertisement