Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone put up a Christmas tree already!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

My local Tesco is also all decced up. Was in there on Saturday and to be honest, as soon as I got home out of the pouring rain, I did think about putting mine up to cheer myself up a bit, but think I'll put it off til the end of the month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

corblimey wrote: »
    My local Tesco is also all decced up. Was in there on Saturday and to be honest, as soon as I got home out of the pouring rain, I did think about putting mine up to cheer myself up a bit, but think I'll put it off til the end of the month.

We really shouldn't compare Supermarkets/Stores putting up their Christmas Decorations with neighbours putting theirs up early, bare in mind supermarkets put their up early to encourage consumers to start Christmas present shopping, neighbours put their up early as they are clearly mad :P or for personal reasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

Christmas decorations up in my house,we had a power cut the other week,and that was how we passed the evening away.Plugged in the the tree and it was a lovely sight to see when the electricity came back on .Presents are under the tree too.all the shopping is done,just waiting to get the geese and last minute fresh food shopping.Cooking preparation will be done on the 23rd as will be having the meal etc on the 24th and spending the 25th with the children relaxing playing games and watching tv.and eating at leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

Im putting mine up the same night as the late late toy show gets me well in the christmas mood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I always did that when my kids were small - it made a really festive night of it and they loved it! It was officially Christmas from that night on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

littlemis wrote: »
    Christmas decorations up in my house,we had a power cut the other week,and that was how we passed the evening away.Plugged in the the tree and it was a lovely sight to see when the electricity came back on .Presents are under the tree too.all the shopping is done,just waiting to get the geese and last minute fresh food shopping.Cooking preparation will be done on the 23rd as will be having the meal etc on the 24th and spending the 25th with the children relaxing playing games and watching tv.and eating at leisure.

ITs NOV 12th
    Not DEC 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

your goose is cooked !! :p

alibabba wrote: »
    ITs NOV 12th
    Not DEC 12th

Yes, and did you know that the year ended on the 31st of october,according to old tradition.....I will take my decorations down in time to put up the easter ones,and they will come down in time to put the next lot up,and so the cycle will go while I am able to enjoy it with my husband and children,and the walls will be washed and house spring summer autum and winter cleaned at the same time....it is called making our own tradition...Bright Blessings to you and yours this Christmas...:)

Yes, and did you know that the year ended on the 31st of october,according to old tradition.....I will take my decorations down in time to put up the easter ones,and they will come down in time to put the next lot up,and so the cycle will go while I am able to enjoy it with my husband and children,and the walls will be washed and house spring summer autum and winter cleaned at the same time....it is called making our own tradition...Bright Blessings to you and yours this Christmas...:)

thats the end of the tax year (31 October). To celebrate that I put all my P60's around the kitchen hanging from a string

thats the end of the tax year (31 October). To celebrate that I put all my P60's around the kitchen hanging from a string

See, you do decorate your house early after all...welcome to a very small exclusive club..:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I thought I was the only person that celebrated Taxmis! :D
    Right, I think this festival will be deserving of it's own forum soon. Hope everyone enjoyed their traditional Taxmis pork and stuffing, mmm. As soon as I take my P60's down, my Christmas tree will be going up. :)

Only three more weeks till christmas tree day (8th Dec). yay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

BEFORE WE KNOW IT: It will be that day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Just bought a tree and Im very tempted to put it up this weekend but I'll probably wait another week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Just bought a tree and Im very tempted to put it up this weekend but I'll probably wait another week or so.

Same here, got a half priced tree from tesco last night..tempting.. might actually put it up this weekend, maybe I could add lights and decorations later, then it doesnt count right?:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Myyra wrote: »
    Same here, got a half priced tree from tesco last night..tempting.. might actually put it up this weekend, maybe I could add lights and decorations later, then it doesnt count right?:pac:

A neighbour of mine put up all of her decorations like a week ago, she does this every year but she doesn't switch on any lights until other neighbours do. That's prob the best way to go!

I have my tree, lights and baubles ready. I SOOO want to put it up!! I might just get my little fibre optic one out of the box to keep me going for another week or so. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brigadoon

I'm feeling a bit stressed and rubbishy and if the form doesn't improve by tomorrow morning then I'm deffo putting mine up; nothing cheers me up like Christmas decorating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Seen a tree up and lit in an apartment near my estate!! Feckin' lunatics!:eek:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Seen a tree up and lit in an apartment near my estate!! Feckin' lunatics!:eek:
    Boo! :P
    I applaude such people. We need all the Christmas cheer we can get, bring it on!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Yeah this winter is too fcuking gloomy. I have just put my tree together although its very naked without decorations. Looking forward to going xmas shopping for decorations tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Posy wrote: »
    Boo! :P
    I applaude such people. We need all the Christmas cheer we can get, bring it on!! :D

I love xmas but it's only the middle of November!!!!

Well folks as you know we have our tree up and lighting,but I was stopped in the shop the other day on my way out and was complimented on the fact that we break from tradition and put the tree up early,as it was raining and we were all taking shelter so the conversation continued,thinking it would change to another topic as often happens,I said my thanks .I was both shocked and delighted when the topic remained, and an elderly lady joined in to say she looked forward to November as every other year her son and family comes over from uk.to spend time with her and Christmas with the in laws...She told me it warms her heart at the begining of the month, when she is passing ours on her way to mass,seeing our house lit up, knowing that her son will be home soon and she gets to celebrate another Christmas with him, and that the grandchildren don't feel silly having an early Christmas with her as they see our house all lit up...for 12 years we have done this since we moved in and this is the first time other than to say hello this woman has spoken to me...she said she couldn't let another year pass without telling me that she now looks forward to the long winter being cut short by our lights shining bright,others muttered in agreement but said they would never do it......It made me realise,lighting up early for us is worth while now as we have started our own tradition in the area,which is to brighten everyone else's winter and to let everyone know Christmas is on the way,when people say your ones in the street have their tree and lights on already,an sure we've only just had halloween ,,and sure its only November... :)I say Happy Christmas to you and yours...:)The day will come when there is no lights on and people will say I remember when......:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    I love xmas but it's only the middle of November!!!!
    If people can plan their summer holidays in January I can put up a Christmas tree in November! :D

I dont see how a tree can survive FOR MONTHS after being cut!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Well I put up one of my trees last night! :D It was only a branch from a tree that I decorated with little wooden decorations. It looks great - not even too christmassy. I'm going to put up my proper tree next Monday.

My Mum has been buying decorations for the past couple of weeks and instead of leaving them in bags where they'll be in the way, or putting them into the attic which is a hassle - she's been hanging them about the house!!!
    They're not too intrusive - my Dad hasn't even noticed.

Look folks, if you WANT to put up your tree - Do so. Who cares what the neighbours think. The way I see it, the country is going down the toilet, so what better way to cheer yourself up.
    I dont see how a tree can survive FOR MONTHS after being cut!!

Not everyone buys a real tree

No i realise that :)

I know several ppl who put up a fake one.. (Less mess,allergic,etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Throw them up, might throw a bit of light into this doom and gloomy country

alibabba wrote: »
    Throw them up, might throw a bit of light into this doom and gloomy country

Here Here! I agree with this, we should all celebrate Christmas early this year, well before the budget anyway, not sure if many will be in a festive mood after the budget, I for one am remaining positive and will enjoy my Christmas and then no doubt will suffer from the January Blues worse than ever!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well mine is up :p. Er, my christmas tree.

The next few weekends are manic and if I waited til the next free weekend, I'd only get a week of it before the big day, so up she goes. Wrapped presents, then watched The Santa Clause while I was putting it up, and now I feel all Christmassy.

Advertisement