Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Al's 100% Chicken Breast.. yet it says 70% on the back?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Sometimes I don't have time to go to a proper store so, SPAR is the closest. They have the Big Al's chicken crap (yea it's frozen ****) but it says 100% chicken breast on the front of all their range.. Yet in ingredient listings on the back of the packages it says 69-70% chicken breast.

http://www.bigals.ie/products/coated-chicken/hot-and-spicy-fillets
    Look at the ingredients there.

What's going on here? How can they say 100% on the front and claim it on their website.. then in ingredient listings there's 30% of unknown crap???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

My understanding is that the chicken used is 100% from chicken breast but of the total amount of ingredients used, the chicken breast only makes up 70%.

You have to account for the batter/breadcrumbs and various other ingredients in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rickard

Ok I hope so, it's what's for dinner ! Better not be 30% chicken nipples

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

100% of the 70% is chicken breast as a posed to Chicken leg, thigh nipples or willy :p

Still wouldn't eat it though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Chicken in Big Als burgers are also sourced from Thai farms utter crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Rickard wrote: »
    Sometimes I don't have time to go to a proper store so, SPAR is the closest. They have the Big Al's chicken crap (yea it's frozen ****) but it says 100% chicken breast on the front of all their range.. Yet in ingredient listings on the back of the packages it says 69-70% chicken breast.

http://www.bigals.ie/products/coated-chicken/hot-and-spicy-fillets
    Look at the ingredients there.

What's going on here? How can they say 100% on the front and claim it on their website.. then in ingredient listings there's 30% of unknown crap???

The Chicken is 100% breast, but chicken in not the only ingredient, the batter makes up about 30% of the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The Chicken is 100% breast, but chicken in not the only ingredient, the batter makes up about 30% of the product.

29% of the 30% is 100% Irish Salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Mmmmmmmm, diphosphates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not to mention the %age of MSG and fat. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Birdseye burgers are worse with their "100% irish beef", with the small print on the back trying to explain that 100% of the beef is Irish, and not the burger being 100% beef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

its 100% chicken breast , but because of the other ingredients its only 70% of total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Birdseye burgers are worse with their "100% irish beef", with the small print on the back trying to explain that 100% of the beef is Irish, and not the burger being 100% beef
    At least you can read ingredients, with alcohol they do not even list it. And I find one ad deliberately misleading. The bulmers pear ad on TV was going on about misleading ads when itself is totally misleading. It said it has 100% pear juice, but it was pointed out in another thread that this means the juice in it is 100% pear, but it is still loaded with sugar. So technically it could have 1 single drop of pear juice in it and the ad is still legally OK.

They have some bloody cheek saying other ads are misleading.

I emailed them about the sugar content in the ciders, I asked a leading question to try and get them to admit it had added sugar, or the content.
    Message/Enquiry: Is the new pear cider made with just 100% pears as described in the adverts. I am a diabetic with allergies to processed sugars but would be able to drink a pure pear cider.

reply from bulmers
    Hi ****,

Unfortunately, it's not suitable for diabetics.

Kind Regards,

Advertisement