Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Australia???????

Options
  • 11-07-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Thinking of heading to Australia next February for 2-3 months, not a clue where to start.

Thinking of heading to Melbourne first for a couple of weeks and then onto Sydney

1- Which visa do I need, ETA or Tourist Visa?

2- I am planning on waiting till after Christmas to book flights as Im not sure of the exact dates I will be going, is this a good idea or will flights be alot dearer by then?

3- Accomadation? where to stay, where to look

4- Budget, I am planning on going with a budget of around 5000-6000 euro after flights, will this be enough if Im not working while I am there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

1- Which visa do I need, ETA or Tourist Visa?
    up to 3 months ETA
    2- I am planning on waiting till after Christmas to book flights as Im not sure of the exact dates I will be going, is this a good idea or will flights be alot dearer by then?
    bad as in flights are generally more expensive closer they are.
    3- Accomadation? where to stay, where to look
    do a search, been answered hundreds of times
    4- Budget, I am planning on going with a budget of around 5000-6000 euro after flights, will this be enough if Im not working while I am there?
    again being answered but yes that would be a great amount, and will get you anywhere you like to go. Don't exchange now though Euro is very weak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

hussey wrote: »
    up to 3 months ETA

bad as in flights are generally more expensive closer they are.

do a search, been answered hundreds of times

again being answered but yes that would be a great amount, and will get you anywhere you like to go. Don't exchange now though Euro is very weak

thanks,

as for flights, will any of the airlines be having sales in January that would be worth waiting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

My tips for Australia work travel.

I stayed away from big cities. Worked fruit picking. Was really different from what I do in Ireland. Did that on purpose, didn't want to be in an office in Australia.

Think a dollar is the same as a euro, 1:1. It is a very bad habit to convert the whole time. Otherwise you will spend your money very very fast. Learn to think in dollars as soon as you can.

Got to Western Australia, it is really cool. And the drive from Perth to Darwin is the best. Do it only between May and August, as there is no point going north for the rainy season.

Try not to travel only with people from Ireland. Get to know people from other countries such as France Sweden Netherlands and Germany South Korea and Japan.

This will be handy for future travels, somewhere to stay!!!! maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭fire_man

Hi empire,I was going to head to aus in oct/nov,u said u did fruit picking,i would b interested in doing this for a while to get some money,any advice on where to go for this work and is it easy enough to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

fire_man wrote: »
    Hi empire,I was going to head to aus in oct/nov,u said u did fruit picking,i would b interested in doing this for a while to get some money,any advice on where to go for this work and is it easy enough to get it?

Hey mate, there's a thread here on getting manual/casual work here which might be helpful to you - it's about getting regional work for a second working holiday visa in Australia but of course relevant nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

fire_man wrote: »

I'd go to Queensland, Bundaberg and Bowen are tow towns I can think of.

In the new year the Shepparton, VIC is good for apples. That lasts into march. So you can get some good money, cheap living (on the farm). meet loads of people from all over australia, and the world.

Also Tasmania has apples too. But it is a gamble to go there and find work. But it is worth a visit.

Keep an eye on notice boards in hostels. Farmers & working hostels (live there, bring you to farms to work) usually advertise there.

The first week will be the hardest, so keep at it. After the second week, you will find it allot easier.

If somewhere is crap, just move to another hostel or town. Don't be miserable.

Advertisement