Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music festival

Options
  • 11-07-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know were the fire works are going too be going off. also what night are they going too be on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

In which area of Westmeath is this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

in athlone town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Had a potter about town to see some of it yesterday ... thought it looked bad to see the Danish representitives walking the parade drinking cans of Heineken!

(Definately thought they'd be downing the Carlsberg! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Had a potter about town to see some of it yesterday ... thought it looked bad to see the Danish representitives walking the parade drinking cans of Heineken!

(Definately thought they'd be downing the Carlsberg! ;))

I thought this was a disgrace. One of the lads from another country had a flagon of Devils Bit cider. Several people were drinking cans. It just confirms to me that the whole thing is just an excuse for people to go away on a boozing holiday.

Who are these people representing Athlone, how do you get chosen to represent the town at these 'Euro Festivals'? Who pays for them to go away to another country next year to represent us? Hopefully they pay for themselves.

• Advertisement

tubos wrote: »
    I thought this was a disgrace. One of the lads from another country had a flagon of Devils Bit cider. Several people were drinking cans. It just confirms to me that the whole thing is just an excuse for people to go away on a boozing holiday.

Who are these people representing Athlone, how do you get chosen to represent the town at these 'Euro Festivals'? Who pays for them to go away to another country next year to represent us? Hopefully they pay for themselves.

Yep, deffo thought it looked bad. Some of the Scottish lads were in the horrors walking up Church St.

I was wondering who the Athlone/Irish group were and then I spotted a lad I know who was part of the team ... he's working/ living in England but is heavily involved in music!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yeah I wanna be a part of this Euro Festival!
    I was quite possibly the drunkest man in Athlone on Saturday night, and some how managed to pick up a Euro Festival tag with my name and country I represented (obviously Ireland) I am not sure where I got it! Who cares how disgraceful it looks, they are putting money into the town, pubs, hotels, b&b's, chippers, off licenses, loads of security required.
    Its all gravy baby! Great buzz around town as well. Although I stil lhaven't had beer and crepes, and some bratwurst, although I did have some wine, and I smelt like cheese by Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I agree. Went to the parade and nearly every country represented had at least one person in their contingent holding a can of beer or bottle of cider.

Does it be like that at St. Patrick's Day parades also 'cos I certainly haven't noticed it before!

I know the Irish have a reputation with regards alcohol and it would seem that these people were really taking the biscuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

At least this bring money into the town , not like the tirathlone bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Yeah I wanna be a part of this Euro Festival!
    I was quite possibly the drunkest man in Athlone on Saturday night, and some how managed to pick up a Euro Festival tag with my name and country I represented (obviously Ireland) I am not sure where I got it! Who cares how disgraceful it looks, they are putting money into the town, pubs, hotels, b&b's, chippers, off licenses, loads of security required.
    Its all gravy baby! Great buzz around town as well. Although I stil lhaven't had beer and crepes, and some bratwurst, although I did have some wine, and I smelt like cheese by Sunday morning.

have to agree with you. It was always going to be just a drinking session and they are dead right. anything that brings people into the town to spend money is good for the town.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there but I heard the weekends gigs were a bit of a flop over all. About 50 people turned up for the Undertones! What were the crowds like for the other bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

If I had known the Undertones were playing I'd have went!
    It was very badly marketed and promoted.

If I had known the Undertones were playing I'd have went!
    It was very badly marketed and promoted.

Big Generator "headlined" one of the evenings apparently! Last time I saw them was in Biddy Mulligans after the Leaving Cert in '95!!! Great covers band at the time but I wasn't overly impressded with their own material.

I still think the drinking during the parade was a bit out of order. But apart from that I had a great week, went to a lot of the events and really enjoyed it. Athlone needs something like this every year. The euro festival wont be around for a while again but it's time Athlone had an annual festival. Athlone is severely underselling itself as a tourist location, I think a high profile festival will help things, maybe the triathlone could make up one day of a bigger festival.

... maybe the triathlone could make up one day of a bigger festival.

There was talk of that finishing up altogether. The way it was said to me was that after getting the Euros people didnt think there would be as much interest in staging a ordinary Joe Soap event. No idea if that is the actual feelings of the current organisers, I was just told it by 2 people into the athletics scene.

Although I was only in town briefly over the weekend there was a decent athmosphere at the open air gigs in the civic centre so hopefully something like that will be encouraged on a regular basis.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    There was talk of that finishing up altogether. The way it was said to me was that after getting the Euros people didnt think there would be as much interest in staging a ordinary Joe Soap event. No idea if that is the actual feelings of the current organisers, I was just told it by 2 people into the athletics scene.

Although I was only in town briefly over the weekend there was a decent athmosphere at the open air gigs in the civic centre so hopefully something like that will be encouraged on a regular basis.

I preferred the format of the Triathlone without the Euro championships, I think it would be wise to continue with the basic Triathlone (even without any 'elite' races). Any event that makes use of the Shannon is a good thing in my opinion.

Advertisement