Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

feedback

• 11-07-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all,

need some feedback on those two photos:

IMG_1922-2a.jpg

IMG_1920a.jpg

my wife gave me very little points for them saying that those eyes looks very creepy - well fake... so my question is - did i really went overboard with dodging? i think they are ok but maybe i`m just indulging myself after learning new thing...

thanks for comments!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Explain Dodging? I do lots of PP but sometimes I need the basics explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mielag

Dodge Tool in Photoshop this lightens an area of an image that you want to be a little bit brighter...

as opposite to burning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I'm not a fan of heavily retouching eyes, things get very uncanny valley very quickly.
    Explain Dodging? I do lots of PP but sometimes I need the basics explained.

It comes from a technique used in darkroom printing where the person printing would put something between the enlarger light and a specific area of the print to allow relatively less light to hit it and thus lighten the area in the developed print. Similarly, "burning" is allowing more light to hit a specific area of the print so that it will appear darker in the developed print.

Photoshop et al named tools that do similar things after these techniques.

thanks charybdis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that the problem here that the right eye is actually in shadow, but appears to be illuminated similar to the left eye. This is due to your dodging it looks unnatural as there is no source for the light in that eye.

The temperature is a bit warm for my taste, but I am looking at this on an uncalibrated monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

They are a little bright, I have gone overboards myself once or twice, I think it depends on the situation. To me the colopur is a little warm here which I think my be making the work on the eyes stand out a little more. Also when doing your dodging I would recommend making a duplicated layer, do your dodging then reducing the opacity of that layer in 10% steps until you reach a comfortable level.

thanks a lot guys! your points are taken... the separate layer does the job!

Advertisement