Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should there be a winter break in the EPL?

• 11-07-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭

I think its time we had a discussion on this.

We all know how poor England were and the big players Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard didn't show anything like the form they have shown in the Premier League. Milner had a great season too but didn't look nearly as energetic for England imo. In with the exception of Ashley Cole I thought that all the English players look tired.
    Its not only the English players though, just going through the other teams. Torres, Van Persie, Malouda, Anelka all had very good seasons in the Premier League but didn't look in the same form in South Africa.

Kuyt, Tevez and De Jong all played well and some less well known players like da Silva, Mensah and Ryan Nelsen. Still the majority of the big stars of the EPL did not have good tournaments.

So the question is should there be a winter break on the Premier League season?

This doesn't just affect the English team remember, it would also be an issue as far as the Scottish, Welsh, N. Irish and Rep of Ireland teams are concerned.

Should there be a winter break in the English Premier League? 28 votes

Yes, its about time and badly needed
    0% 0 votes
    No, It will make no difference to international performances
    46% 13 votes
    Meh, unsure if it would change anything.
    53% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

torres had a ****e season in the epl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Random wrote: »
    torres had a ****e season in the epl.

Injury wise yes, however, when he played he was fairly brilliant as his goals to games ratio shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

No,

What difference would it make?

The games still have to be played.

Reduce the games if there was a way, a break is not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No

Christmas would be shit without all that football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I dont want one for very selfish reasons. One of the things I love about christmas is the amount of football on. Games being on random days, boxing day footie - what the hell else would we have to do over that time other than drink?

Overall, club football means far more to me than international football so no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

If they take a break, it'll mean more time to be falling out of Chinawhites p1ssed drunk or knocking up some Page 3 model

English players needs to change their mentality and a winter break won't help that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No way!!!!!!!!, I don't care about International football one little bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Maybe the EPL is over-rated and all the best players play in Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No

Christmas would be shit without all that football.
    But it doesn't have to be at Christmas Xavi, in fact a 3 week break in January after that busy Christmas period would probably be the most sensible option if there was to be one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Where's the "who cares?" option?

IMHO they should switch to a summer league. It's mad in the northern part of Europe to play through what is effectively four months of winter and no grass growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

What would Boxing Day I mean Stephens Day be without the annual game after Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Where's the "who cares?" option?

IMHO they should switch to a summer league. It's mad in the northern part of Europe to play through what is effectively four months of winter and no grass growth.
    Its outside in the main forum, you just don't click open the thread.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its outside in the main forum, you just don't click open the thread.;)

I don't get it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eagle eye wrote: »
    But it doesn't have to be at Christmas Xavi, in fact a 3 week break in January after that busy Christmas period would probably be the most sensible option if there was to be one.

A fair point, though fixture congestion is already an issue without adding more games to it.

Scrap pointless international friendlies imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Cutting the numbers in the EPL further may be an option. 18 Teams would be more then enough, and it would cut the season down by four games. I doubt anybody would be too upset if the likes of Hull City, Burnley, and Derby County had been cut from the league. It cannot be tokenistic about allowing teams a chance to play prem football.

P.S, how common is it around Europe to have a cup like the League Cup ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Scrap pointless international friendlies imo

I think this is just a thing whereby certain people rank club football far higher than international football. Those friendlies are totally stupid.

Probably should be another no option though EE, as i think it would improve international standards but i still dont want it in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Think it is a good idea but it will never be implemented because the FA would not allow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

All those O's explain nothing. A break gives the players time to recuperate. you think the German's are having the same debate about disposing of their
    break?

Having an opinion is fine, replacing that opinion with a misspelt word, for want of a proper argument looks silly, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The league should be cut to 18 teams before considering a winter break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe less games and a two week holiday, early jan perhaps? bit of rest and recoup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

In Germany there is only one cup and the league has 18 teams. That's a fair few games less. Having said that I think our winterbreak is more a necessity rather than a break. You just can't play on frozen pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

papagormo wrote: »
    maybe less games and a two week holiday, early jan perhaps? bit of rest and recoup.

18 teams and a 2 week break after the FA Cup 3rd round maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Boskowski wrote: »
    In Germany there is only one cup

Why would anyone have TWO???

A short break in January maybe of 2 weeks is needed, look at the amount of games they play in a short period between December and January. A rest and rejuvenated period is needed for the players.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    A short break in January maybe of 2 weeks is needed, look at the amount of games they play in a short period between December and January. A rest and rejuvenated period is needed for the players.

But would they take two weeks off??? or would the clubs not just set up a friendly match or two abroad?

But would they take two weeks off??? or would the clubs not just set up a friendly match or two abroad?
    I'm sure the clubs would be pushing for a training camp in Spain, Portugal or Dubai and a few friendlies against local opposition. While the players would rather have a more time with their family and a few light training sessions. I think the second of the two would be more beneficial and would be one of the reason I would support a winter break. Most teams can schedule a training abroad throughout the season so there should be no need to use that winter break for a training camp

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I'm sure the clubs would be pushing for a training camp in Spain, Portugal or Dubai and a few friendlies against local opposition. While the players would rather have a more time with their family and a few light training sessions. I think the second of the two would be more beneficial and would be one of the reason I would support a winter break. Most teams can schedule a training abroad throughout the season so there should be no need to use that winter break for a training camp

As I said earlier, just reduce the number of International friendlies, which will help with fixture congestion. ( Know I am biassed on this one :p )

• Advertisement

As I said earlier, just reduce the number of International friendlies, which will help with fixture congestion. ( Know I am biassed on this one :p )
    I know a lot of fans see these as pointless games but the FAs see them as money earners. Advertising big teams and big players coming to play a one off game. The FAs will never scrap friendlies as they are cash cow they pump dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

If they were to bring in a winter break they would probably have to scrap the carling cup and move the FA Cup to midweek games instead of designated weekends. I do enjoy football over the xmas period so if they did then hopefully January would be the break. I couldnt really be arsed if they did or not but i do like to get some sort of football fix when the LOI season is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You gotta have some games were you can test players in international match conditions.

Uefa and clubs are just greedy. Can't have enough European games cos it's the big cash cow so make a fkn group phase for the uefa cup and let the fairplay price winner in England play in the CL too. No wonder theres too many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Getting rid of the League Cup would probably be more beneficial imo, and if there was a winter break,I'd think 1 week would probably be enough at the start of January.Do it after the FA cup game at the start, and a good few players at the top teams would have that week off as they might be rested then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

davyjose wrote: »
    All those O's explain nothing. A break gives the players time to recuperate. you think the German's are having the same debate about disposing of their
    break?

Having an opinion is fine, replacing that opinion with a misspelt word, for want of a proper argument looks silly, tbh.

I am sorry your royal holiness. I have seen the errors of my ways. forgive me. I apoligise, I am truly sorry, your majesty almight davyjose of anal land.

I was not aware I had placed too many O's in the word, again I am sincerely sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The FA approached the Premier Lge about it a few years ago. One of the main objections was that while Italy/Spain take a winter break, the EPL is the only football on the TV over xmas. As the EPL is competing with these other leagues for the Far East market, they reckon it increases their share of the market, as people follow it over xmas and continue to do so after the other leagues resume

The major objection though apparently came from Sky. They have the broadcasting contract which entitles them to veto the xmas break.

Thats what David Davis was saying about it in his book anyway

Personally, would hate to have xmas with out the football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Is there a winter break in Spain? Just wondering since that Barca lads did ok winning the treble in 2009, plenty of WC qualifiers, World Club Championship in December, getting to CL semis in 2010 and winning the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I love international soccer. The more the better.

Advertisement