Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook/Twitter hover effect

Options
  • 12-07-2010 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

If you hover over a message on Facebook/Twitter the 'delete' or 'remove' link appears. I presumed this was done by javascript but after disabling javascript it still works. So how do they do this? How do they make these links appear when you hover over a message using only html?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

I took a quick look at the source for my Twitter timeline. Looks like it is being done using CSS. There is a CSS class called actions-hover that might be what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭compaqlaptop1

I know some css is being used but I cant see how it is being done without javascript. How is hovering over an outter element setting an inner element's visiblity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I know some css is being used but I cant see how it is being done without javascript. How is hovering over an outter element setting an inner element's visiblity?

At a guess :
    a img {
     display:none;
    }

a:hover img {
     display:block;
    }

Bearing in mind positioning / size would need to be handled well in order for the content not to "jump", thereby screwing up the hover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 zoudards

Hey,
    you can use the hover pseudo class on other elements, not just links.

http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/css_pseudo_classes.asp

Hope this helps
    Z.

Advertisement