Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't provide receipt for Rent Relief

Options
  • 12-07-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I rented a room in a house (along with others, not rent a room scheme) during college (Sept to May), and I have still not received a receipt from him so that I can claim rent relief.

I have emailed him and have tried to telephone him but I cannot get in contact with him.

What should I do next? Do I talk to revenue and report him, or is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's summer, they might be on holidays.

Keep calling this week.

If it's the PPS number you need then relax.
    Just complete the Rent 1 from with their name and the address and Revenue will sort it.
    When the house was bought the transaction was recorded, the PPS number would be helpful to Revenue but not essential.

So call again but go to Revenue and claim your entitlements anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Your thread title is very misleading and presumptious.

He has not witheld anything from you or refused to do anything for you either. You simply have not contacted him yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

He/she has contacted the landlord by email and tried to do so by phone, it's not their fault if the landlord isn't responding. How long have you been waiting OP? If you mean that you have been waiting since last September, that's nearly a year that the landlord has been ignoring them, I think then that they are right to get someone else involved. If you mean that you are going to start renting from this September coming, then maybe you're being a bit hasty. Even if you mean that he was meant to give you this reciept this May, that's still about 2 months he's had to do it, there is no reason for it to take that long. If I was you, I'd write a letter sent by recorded delivery (if you have his address or an email if you don't) telling him that if you don't recieve the reciept within 14 days you'll take the matter further.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

There's no need to get in contact the landlord. I've never once told any landlord of mine that I was going to claim rent relief and I've never had their PPS number. Just fill in as much of the form as you can and send it in. I've done this for 6 different places I've lived in over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Yup, there's a space on the form for the LL's PPS number but if you don't have it don't worry. You don't need a receipt or anything of that nature, just fill in the details of your rent paid and away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Send in the form with the landlords details. You don't even need his pps number. I did this a few years back and included a short note giving the bank details I paid the rent into. You don't have to report him to revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Draco wrote: »
    There's no need to get in contact the landlord. I've never once told any landlord of mine that I was going to claim rent relief and I've never had their PPS number. Just fill in as much of the form as you can and send it in. I've done this for 6 different places I've lived in over the last 10 years.

This.

Don't even inform your landlord that you are claiming rent relief- just fill in as much of the form as you can and the Revenue will give it to you.

Advertisement