Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you accept your son/daughter being gay?

Options
  • 12-07-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi!
    Would you find it hard or easy?
    Would you prefere your child to be straight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I would have no problems accepting it. It would be easy enough for me. I wouldn't be bothered that they weren't straight. Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle choice, if they're gay they're gay and you might as well get over it and get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tbh, I'd say my initial reaction would be to be disappointed on the simple assumption that one might have the expectation that they have a family of their own some day in particular if talking about a son. After that , it would just be a case of accepting it and moving on. I'd lke to think that I wouldnt be embarrassed or anything as was said above its not a lifestyle choice.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have a few members of family gay on my side and my husbands. Both families differ hugely in how they approach it. My own family were not quite accepting having said that the 2 cousins that did 'come out' first were over 10 yrs ago. Most recently about 3 yrs ago one cousin came out and her father was very unsure, very distraught and upset about how much harder her life would be. Now looking at my husbands side there are 2 members of his family who are openly gay, the eldest agin would have been a long time ago, now I know he is completely accepted although I am not sure about how his father reacted to it the way things are is it is just normal. The second member of my husbands family again woud have come out over 10 yrs ago, I know her parents were quite upset but understanding. Both of these live open lives, they do not hide their sexuality and are accepted completely byt the whole family. Our wedding was around the time my cousin came out and her father seemed to relax a huge amount when he saw how accepted the 2 members of my husbands family were. I think a lot of upset and denial is down to confusion and lack of understanding.

For me, I have 2 girls and I am sure I would wonder about them having children of their own but other than that no, I dont think it would upset me, maybe because I have such immediate interaction with people who are homosexual but as said before, it is not a lifestyle choice it is just the way people are and denying their sexuality would be like denying their individuality.

Re your question of preference, I wouldn't state a preference either way but it cannot be denied that life would run smoother if they were straight, obviously its not a choice they have to make but not everyone is as openly accepting of the gay community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest......

If I had a choice I would prefer that they were straight but only because I know their life would be easier with less criticism and hardship than if they were gay.......but for me it wouldn't matter one iota:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They would still be the same child that i had loved and brought up. I might be slightly disappointed about the lack of grandkids but otherwise it would make absolutely no difference.

You trying to assess how your family will accept it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I'd be worried that they would face prejudice, but aside from that I wouldn't be bothered at all. I know someone who's getting married soon and hopes to start a family right away and he says that if he has a gay child he will tell them that they disgust him, throw them out of the house and refuse to let them take his name! My sister, who is in the process of settling down with her OH right now, tells us regularly that she hopes she has a gay son so that they can go handbag shopping together. IMO you choose to bring the kid into the world, you should accept them however they are. I find it infuriating when parents don't accept their kid because the kid doesn't live up to their expectations, whether it be through their sexuality, career choice, or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Wouldn't bother me at all, any more than finding out they were a boy or girl when they were born... :)

btw the not having kids thing is a moot point nowadays. Just because the person is gay, doesn't mean they won't have kids and vice versa. I am straight and my parents have accepted that they are never getting any grandkids from me, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maccer666

IMO if you cant except it, then the child is better off without you,either you love your child or you dont,it should not change if they tell you their gay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lonelyguy wrote: »

To me it would make no difference whatsoever. As long as they are happy, why would it?

I always wonder what an unaccepting parent expects in a situation like this.
    It's not like them not accepting will make a jot of difference.

• Advertisement

Maybe they expect them to go to one of those christian gay-cure camps! Or just "try" to be straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would not bat an eye lid but I would make sure they knew I supported them and would make sure they knew about http://www.belongto.org

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We're expecting our first baby and honestly it wouldn't bother me. He or she would still be my child. I'm pretty sure my OH feels the same. I reckon as a parent I'd worry on their behalf about prejudice etc but doesn't every parent worry about their kids in one sense or another even when they're adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have to admit I'd be dissapointed. Not in my daughter, but in how much harder being gay would make it for her to be happy. I'd also be trying my best to help her realise that 'being gay' isn't a substitute for having a personality.

I couldn't care less what anyone gets up to in (or outside ;)) their bedroom, whose hand they hold walking down the street etc. but I find people who decide to be "flamboyant" or Queen-ey and allow their "alternative" :rolleyes: sexual identity to replace their personality utterly tedious.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It wouldn't bother me at all,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's impossible to say how one would react, but on the surface I'd be disappointed that my son would (likely) never in turn have the close bond that I share with him and that we have with our respective grandfathers (living or deceased). I'd accept it of course and support him, but having little experience of life in the gay community, I could see it being awkward for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hi!

Absolutely no issue with it at all. I would really hope if the time came, that he knew that I could be approached and trusted.

I'll be completely honest and say most parents want their children to receive as little hassle and prejudice in their lives as possible. And I guess that being gay can subject them to that.

But that in way means that I would not accept his sexuality or try and dissuade him. It would just be a silent worry for me. The other extreme is also true: I'd hate for him to have to be grappling with it and not to accept himself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Last time I checked, love wasn't conditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Absolutely.

Easy.

Would you prefer your child to be straight?
    Yes, but for one reason only: society is still very prejudiced, so I'd be worried they would face harrassment/abuse. But I'd raise him to be strong and know that he's loved. I cannot understand people who treat their children like sh1t just because they're a particular sexual orientation. It's monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I would accept it no problem because I love my boys to bits and I'm so proud of them. I would hate to think that they felt they couldn't tell me or think that I wouldn't accept them.

The only reason I'd prefer if they were straight is the fear of how much more difficult their life might be if they were gay.

I want them to be true to themselves and have as happy and as loving a life as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Dyflin wrote: »
    It's impossible to say how one would react, but on the surface I'd be disappointed that my son would (likely) never in turn have the close bond that I share with him and that we have with our respective grandfathers (living or deceased). I'd accept it of course and support him, but having little experience of life in the gay community, I could see it being awkward for us.

all you need to know is he fancies men, not women anything after that would be purely personality etc.

as a gay teen, may i just say to see some of the responses on here is truly grattifying, if you were to ask the same question 30 years ago i'd say the responses would have been so much more different, it's parents like you that made it so easy for me to come out to my parents, they were the same as everyone here, so accepting but like every parent seems to have, was a revelation to me, that worry for us that we'll have prejudice because we're gay. all of your children are lucky to have you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If I had a kid who turned out to be gay I'd be devestated becuase it makes family life much harder for them and would have a negative effect on the rest of my family...maybe because society etc is prejudiced, yes, but still the same effect. If said child even attempted to cohabit with their partner, and at the same time raise a child they would be disowned full stop because I disagree with it that strongly. (I've gone into, and been slated for that seperately and it's not the issue here).

Also, if say I had an only son, that's the family bloodline gone. It's wierd, but I can understand bisexuality a lot better than homosexuality. I get the idea of the sex part and maybe even the love part, but at the end of the day I see two main purposes to life; live it fulfillingly and have kids (of your own). Gayness flies in the face of that fundamental value that I have personally.

I have no problem with the fundamentals of two gay people being in love, living together, even a civil partnership. But it would nevertheless upset me and where kids become involved I can't condone it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

sdonn wrote: »
    Also, if say I had an only son, that's the family bloodline gone. It's wierd, but I can understand bisexuality a lot better than homosexuality. I get the idea of the sex part and maybe even the love part, but at the end of the day I see two main purposes to life; live it fulfillingly and have kids (of your own). Gayness flies in the face of that fundamental value that I have personally.

Because if 2% of the 9billion people on the planet don't have kids, we're just going to run out of people....

Did you ever think it might be nature's way of saying, stop having kids you idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

If I had a kid who turned out to be gay I'd be devestated becuase it makes family life much harder for them and would have a negative effect on the rest of my family...maybe because society etc is prejudiced, yes, but still the same effect. If said child even attempted to cohabit with their partner, and at the same time raise a child they would be disowned full stop because I disagree with it that strongly. (I've gone into, and been slated for that seperately and it's not the issue here).

I have no problem with the fundamentals of two gay people being in love, living together, even a civil partnership. But it would nevertheless upset me and where kids become involved I can't condone it.

You really are contrdicting yourself all over the place there. Are you sure its you and not society whos prejudiced?

When your dead and gone what does 'the bloodline' at all.

For a gay person which i am, to 'live it fulfillingly' means living openly as a gay guy... hence not having kids, if thats your soul person in life, its a bit sad imo.

I hope for any kids you may have, that none of them turn out gay for their sake, with such an ununderstanding person as a parent. I suspect yopu dont have kids yet, cos you may find your attitude changes. (i hope)

Also pleanty of staright couples never have kids. Theres many people who also never get married and start a family.

If you have children, you should love them unconditionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Of course. They're just my own personal values and they conflict with many things. Don;t get me wrong, I have no problem persay with gay people but when its on your own doorstep it's hard to take etc, so I;m being honest rather than politically correct.

My main reason I'd be so dissapointed if my own kids were this way would be becuase if they have kids, whether through adopting or whatever, having two parents of the same gender is in my opinion only going to be detremental to the child. If no kids are involved I have no problem that I couldn't get over - devestated was probably far too strong a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Yes well each to their own and all that... i guess! For me being gay means ill never have children, I wont adopt or bring up a child in a same sex relationhsip. But thats just me, I wouldn't pass judgement on those who do.

I guess this thread isnt about gay adoption, more how parents would feel having a son or daughter whoes gay.

Personally my mothers reaction was.... 'sure I always knew that' (and im in no way camp or overtly gay), just said all she wanted for me in life was to be happy.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Wouldn't have a hard time accepting it at all. They would be my son/daughter and as much as it might be a shock at first... I would love them still no matter what happened.

It would just mean half the jokes in my repetoire would have to be ditched tho...:o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Kids are a products of their parent biology and their upbringing. If a child is gay, they got it from their parents. To then punish or feel disappointed in a child because of it is in my view beyond contempt. I guess when it comes to homosexuality love is conditional for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If a child is gay, they got it from their parents.

You make it sound like a virus?

Are you saying that if you're gay, your parents have to be gay too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

stovelid wrote: »
    You make it sound like a virus?

Are you saying that if you're gay, your parents have to be gay too?
    Didnt mean to offend.

No. I presume most parents are straight. The majority of research suggests that homosexuality is biological in nature. Therefore its inherited from at least one of the parents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement