Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you accept your son/daughter being gay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Incognita

Would you accept your son/daughter being gay? Yes, without question.

Would you find it hard or easy? Easy, it wouldn't matter to me in the slightest.

Would you prefer your child to be straight? I'd prefer my child to do what makes them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

cooltown wrote: »
    When I read this it makes me so sad. I know that I'll never be able to come out to my parents because they hate gay people and think it wrong! It's so good to read that there are so many accepting parents out there tough!

That's very sad. Your parents might hate gay people, but they do love you. Do you not think that their love for you will outweigh a groundless prejudice? My dad was very homophobic. When my cousin came out, my dad still loved him. He could never accept my cousins sexuality and saw it as wrong, but he still loved him. They just chose not to talk about that aspect of my cousin's life. Equally he didn't talk about me or my sisters' sex lives. That would just be a bit wrong. He preferred to pretend we were all virgins. Straight virgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 shortstuff

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest to be honest. I'm actually expecting my youngest son to come home one day and tell me he's gay, think i'll be more surprised if he tells me he's straight lol. Seriously though, I love my children with all my heart and so long as they are happy and healthy that's all i can hope for. As for people who would be disappointed in not having grandchildren because their own child/ren are gay, there is something called adoption. Just because they are not blood related doesn't mean they are not your family. that would be like my parents saying that either myself or my children are nothing to them due to the fact that i'm adopted. The bloodline thing is at the end of the day only semantics there's always gonna be someone in the family who reproduces, my brother is straight will never have kids i'm adopted yet the family still lives on because there is aunts/uncles/cousins with the same bloodline as my dad/mum.
    You can't pick who your children are, they can't pick it either, no matter their sexual orintation they will always be your child/ren and a parents love is supposed to be uncontidional, mine cerainly is and that will not change just because who they find themselves attracted to. the only time i would ever have a problem with who any of kids end up with is if they are in an abusive relationship be they straight or gay. Providing they are happy with their partner that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

sweetheart - I spoke to you before.
    Do not be disappointed in your life,
    Make your plan. Do not let them be your reason to hide.
    Remember fortune favours not the brave but the truthful.

I hope things are changing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

They wont be [gay]!
    Lol. Willing somebody's orientation has no effect on Real Life.

lindtee wrote: »
    ... I think for a so called professional to take me aside and make a judgement like that on an 8 year old is a bit much. That was the last session that he had with her. I was in fact very angry about it.
    I think that the only person who can call the ball on that one is your son. He may grow out of it, or turn out to be effeminate yet straight. And likewise, even the toughest kid in school can turn out gay. Whatever happens though, you have a great attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Since the person who originally said it never replied, why would someone prefer a gay son over a gay daughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Since the person who originally said it never replied, why would someone prefer a gay son over a gay daughter?
    Better dressed?

/me hides...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Thanks for all the raply's!
    Its nice knowing that there are parents out there that accept there kid for who they are unlike my parents!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

cooltown wrote: »
    Thanks for all the raply's!
    Its nice knowing that there are parents out there that accept there kid for who they are unlike my parents!:(

As you see from my post im anti-gay, but if one of my kids came to me and told me they were gay I WOULD ACCEPT IT, even though i dont agree with it, I would not try and change them. I am very confident that none of my kids are gay and im bringing them up to be straight, but at the end of the day if they tell me i will except it because i love them and i want them to be happy.

I hope one day your parents will come round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I know it's just a typo, but it's funny how you say "except" and not "accept".

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    I know it's just a typo, but it's funny how you say "except" and not "accept".

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

As you see from my post im anti-gay, but if one of my kids came to me and told me they were gay I WOULD ACCEPT IT, even though i dont agree with it, I would not try and change them. I am very confident that none of my kids are gay and im bringing them up to be straight, but at the end of the day if they tell me i will except it because i love them and i want them to be happy.

lol. That wont have an affect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

ROFLMAO!! that is so funny!!!
    Really, but seriously, do you think that gay people are the result of parents choosing to bring their children up gay? and how exactly do you think one would go about that?
    Do you think it would be harder to raise your girl to be gay or your boy?
    Actually as you brought it up, how does one go about raising a child to be straight? you must have stumbled on some method that i am sure lots of parents who share you beliefs would love to use, just to be sure.

lynski wrote: »
    ROFLMAO!! that is so funny!!!
    Really, but seriously, do you think that gay people are the result of parents choosing to bring their children up gay? and how exactly do you think one would go about that?
    Do you think it would be harder to raise your girl to be gay or your boy?
    Actually as you brought it up, how does one go about raising a child to be straight? you must have stumbled on some method that i am sure lots of parents who share you beliefs would love to use, just to be sure.

I choose to tell my kids is wrong for boys to kiss boys, some parents say its ok/normal for boys to kiss boys or girls/girls. I dont agree and bring my kids up accordingly. I also said at the end of the day one might come to me and say the are gay, im 99% sure they wont.

I didn't say that gay people are the result of parents choosing to bring their children up gay. Im sure the Cooltowns parents dont agree with gays and cooltown is gay (from the sounds of it) . But i dont see why the hell i have to be PC with my kids just because boards members think that being gay is the new cool. Im not going to apologize and agree with other people because they think gay is normal, I dont and never will. You can certainly bring up your kids saying its normal to get it up the A*S but i wont.
    I was just saying to cooltown that i am in the same frame of mind as his/her parents but at the end of the day if my child was gay i would accept it, and hope his/her parents will too.
    now will you get off my back i have every right to an opinion and every right to choose how i bring my kids up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

grindelwald ease up on the flaming please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I choose to tell my kids is wrong for boys to kiss boys, some parents say its ok/normal for boys to kiss boys or girls/girls. I dont agree and bring my kids up accordingly. I also said at the end of the day one might come to me and say the are gay, im 99% sure they wont.
    You're right, they won't come to you to tell you they are gay. They'll just keep it to themselves. Presumably that's what you want?

You're right, they won't come to you to tell you they are gay. They'll just keep it to themselves. Presumably that's what you want?

Do we really have to go round in circles.....

Cant you just accept thats my point of view. I accept that other parents dont mind telling their kids its normal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Cant you just accept thats my point of view. .

Indeed, I fully accept that it is your point of view. I do think that you should understand that it really doesn't matter what you tell them - it won't make them gay or straight. All it will affect is how honest a relationship they will have with you.

If you want them to feel obliged to lie to you in the future, keep on doing what you're doing.

Indeed, I fully accept that it is your point of view. I do think that you should understand that it really doesn't matter what you tell them - it won't make them gay or straight. All it will affect is how honest a relationship they will have with you.

If you want them to feel obliged to lie to you in the future, keep on doing what you're doing.
    +1

Indeed if we had less parents like grindelwald, perhaps "coming out" wouldnt be as big an issue for children as it is now.

I cant see how anyone can tell their kids that its "wrong" for a homosexual couple to kiss openly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

For the majority of my life i was homophobic, but thank God I changed my attitude. My daughter happens to be Gay and it definitely refocused my mind and attitude ( which really stank.)

She is in a relationship with a lovely girl and they are blissfully happy and we are very happy for them. She would have found it terribly difficult to come out to me as I really was an angry dinasaur, so as soon as I realised she was Gay I helped her to come out, told her that we knew and that we still loved her immensely, never looked back since. That pent up useless useless anger that was in me is totally gone and I have my daugher to thank for that.

That pointless pointless argument that men are made for women etc is just that....... POINTLESS.
    In a perfect world.....but the point is the world is far from perfect so some people are GAy ..........so what.... just so what.

Gay people want to get married........ proper order.......... live and let live............. they happen to be gay...want to get married to their partner. want same breaks as the rest of society ................SO what...

Anyways . No I absolutley do not have a problem with my daughter being gay, she is who she is, she was gay from birth, she didn't change one iota when I realised she was gay. still the same beautiful person she is today.

My problem is my terrible terrible attitude in the past, shameful to be honest. But its never to late to ammend !

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

lonelyguy wrote: »
    Hi!
    Would you accept your son/daughter being gay?
    Would you find it hard or easy?
    Would you prefere your child to be straight?

Not going to get involved in the current debate, I just wanted to give my point of view.

I have one son, he's almost 6. I try my best to raise him as openly as possible, answering his questions as they come along. One day, we were in a Supermarket and he saw two guys holding hands. He pointed at them, and asked if they were brothers. I said no, they are boyfriends. He questioned that, and I said, "well, some men have girlfriends, and some men have boyfriends." He quite happily accepted that answer and never mentioned it again.

I want to raise my boy to be open with his Dad and I, not afraid of us. If he came to me when he was older and told me he was gay, I would be delighted that he had told me, but I'd be worried for his future only because of the prejudice he would almost certainly face. Apart from that, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. A child is a gift, whether gay or straight. (I actually hate the word straight, it implies that anything other than heterosexual is wrong). Frankly, any time this subject comes up, I can't belive that it's 2010. But anyway, that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Cant you just accept thats my point of view. I accept that other parents dont mind telling their kids its normal....

If one of your kids turns out to be gay, which is considerably more likely than you think (1 in 4 families has an immediate member who is gay), you will lose them forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1

Indeed if we had less parents like grindelwald, perhaps "coming out" wouldnt be as big an issue for children as it is now.

I cant see how anyone can tell their kids that its "wrong" for a homosexual couple to kiss openly?

Ah yeah, but you missed that grindelwald told tots not to kiss other tots, whatever your feelings on pdas of any orientation, boys and girls of 3 and 5 being told to withhold their affections is sad.and has nothing to do with sexuality.
    surely your childrens happiness and their participation in modern society as equal, fully-rounded people is the most important thing, not instilling prejudice and suspicion before they even have a chance to form opinions of their own.
    The acceptance of a childs sexuality should never be an issue for a parent, there are so many serious things to worry about when raising a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Grindewalde if your child was gay you may lose them to suicide with being told who they were as a person was wrong to you.

A parents love is paramount to their children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You can certainly bring up your kids saying its normal to get it up the A*S but i wont.

Gay sex is not just about anal sex and many people both male and female enjoy receiving anal penetration and it doesn't make them gay.

You don't have to even mention anal sex, it is as simple as some people grow up to like people who are a different gender to themselves, some like the same gender as themsevles and some like both.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Gay sex is not just about anal sex and many people both male and female enjoy receiving anal penetration and it doesn't make them gay.

You don't have to even mention anal sex, it is as simple as some people grow up to like people who are a different gender to themselves, some like the same gender as themsevles and some like both.
    +1

I would also add that I missed the part of the post that Thaedydal quoted originally, and I would class it as horribly offensive.

I pity the children of grindlewald, what a closed minded upbringing they will have.

I not lying.

But since were on the subject

I bet at least 99% of parents on here lie to their kids, i Bet at least 99% of Christians lie to their children.

Hand up who lies to their kids!

Still going round in circles.....

Max Power1 wrote: »

I pity the children of grindlewald, what a closed minded upbringing they will have.

Just because i find being gay odd and not normal does not and will never mean that my kids will have a closed minded upbringing, i teach them to question everything, especially religion. They will be the makers of their own futures, after they turn 16 they walk the road they choose. I will be there, whatever they decide.

You judge me JUST because i have views on gays, so you think im a closed minded person, there is much more to life than it revolving around gay rights.................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

if he sees 2 boys kissing on tv we tell him its yucky.

Just wanted to say that this is just fuelling the anti-gay feeling in schools that makes it so difficult for kids who turn out to be gay to come out. There is an ignorance of the reality of homosexuality in schools, and it leads to bullying and stress and can make life horrible for some unfortunate kids/young adults. Two men kissing is not yucky, but it's not my thing. Each to their own. That's what I'd teach my kids.

• Advertisement

eightyfish wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that this is just fuelling the anti-gay feeling in schools that makes it so difficult for kids who turn out to be gay to come out. There is an ignorance of the reality of homosexuality in schools, and it leads to bullying and stress and can make life horrible for some unfortunate kids/young adults. Two men kissing is not yucky, but it's not my thing. Each to their own. That's what I'd teach my kids.

At age 3 and 5 i tell them it is yucky, at age 8-10 i will tell them each to their own.

I hear many parents telling their girls that its yucky kissing boys (ages 3-6).

As i hear parents of boys telling them its yucky kissing girls (ages 3 - 6) .

Normally the phrase goes ' you didn't kiss him/her that's yucky, err Gross' and then tickles the child.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement