Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options
  • 12-07-2010 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Eight die in Co Donegal collision

Monday, 12 July 2010 08:13
    Eight people have died in a two-car crash on the Buncrana to Clonmany in Co Donegal.
    Seven men in a black Volkswagen Passat along with the driver of a second car a red Toyota Corolla were killed in the crash.
    The driver of the Passat was taken to Letterkenny General Hospital with serious injuries.
    The eight occupants of the Passat ranged in ages from their late teens to their early 20s, the driver of the Corolla was a man in his 60s.
    The crash happened at around 10.40pm last night.
    It is belived that a car first collided with another vehicle but no one was injured and it travelled on towards Buncrana and was involved in a second collision a few hundred yards later and all eight were killed.
    The road is expected to remain sealed-off for some time.
    Gardaí are appealing for anyone who was in the area or who was traveling on the Buncrana to Clonmany road between 10pm and 11pm to contact Buncrana Garda Station on 074 9320540.
    www.rte.ie/newsindex
    Horrific stuff. All the dead were in the same car. Donegal seems to have a very high rate of young men killed in car crashes at night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Disaster for the area and the families.
    Donegal (and the North in general) are mad about their motorsports and this is why there is more fatal accidents in Donegal in my opinion.

RIP to all regradless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Horrific stuff. All the dead were in the same car.

Im scould have sworn I read somewhere it was 7 in the passat and 1 in another car killed, think it may even have been written in your post.

Anyway, horrible stuff altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Having 7 people fit into a passat didn't help their chance of survival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

Having 7 people fit into a passat didn't help their chance of survival.

It was 8 in the passat, 7 died in that plus the driver of the other car. The driver of the passat is in critical condition.

Absolute horror. RIP.

Drive carefully everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I don't think its a good time or good choice of forum to bring this up only hours after a horrendous accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Very sad. Such a waste of life. :(

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I don't think its a good time or good choice of forum to bring this up only hours after a horrendous accident.

I think you'll find that people in AH can be sympathetic and respectful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

thats terrible, sure wasn't there another crash near there only a few weeks ago?

also having 7 people in the passat?!

Im thinking there was drink or something involved if the car collided with something first and then travelled a few more yards and then collided again.

RIP to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Stee wrote: »
    Im scould have sworn I read somewhere it was 7 in the passat and 1 in another car killed, think it may even have been written in your post.

Anyway, horrible stuff altogether
    You're right. Apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Kasabian wrote: »
    I think you'll find that people in AH can be sympathetic and respectful too.

In the majority, yes. There are always all too often unsympathetic and disrespectful remarks by some in here to sensitive incidents too however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's shocking, too many lives lost at the one incident on the road. RIP.

thats terrible, sure wasn't there another crash near there only a few weeks ago?

also having 7 people in the passat?!

Im thinking there was drink or something involved if the car collided with something first and then traveled a few more yards and then collided again.

RIP to all involved.
    It is not the first time involving overcrowded cars, 7 were killed in a Fiat Panda when it crashed into the Royal Canal in the early 90's.

It would be better to wait until there is an official report from Gardai rather than speculate if there was any drink involved..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

They are way too young to have died. Their whole lives were ahead of them.
    Whether there was 7 in the car or 17 I don't think it makes much difference now.
    My sympathies are with the families & friends. It's truly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Donegal (and the North in general) are mad about their motorsports and this is why there is more fatal accidents in Donegal in my opinion.

As much of a disaster as this is, Your comment is BullS**t... A fair majority of R.T.A.s are caused by drivers from Northern Ireland who don't know the roads and are caught out, I agree that speed and not having knowledge of the roads is also a factor.. It is extrememly unfair for you to say that motorsport and fans of mototrsport are reckless in their driving and are the cause of such carnage..

This is not the thread to continue this discussion So, I'll stop now..

I send my deepest sympathy to the families of all involved in this horrific accident...RIP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

RIP.

God love their families. My heart goes out to them.

Mods, why was this thread moved from AH to the Doneygal Forum?

This is of national importance and many would like to give their condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wow, 7 men dead in the one car. Probably all friends too, it's crazy to think that a whole group of friends like that in an instant. Condolences to friends and families of the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Mods, why was this thread moved from AH to the Doneygal Forum?

This is of national importance and many would like to give their condolences.
    I'm confused about that too. If I hadn't put Donegal in the thread title I don't think it would have been moved

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

So sad, Woke up to readin this news on rte this morning.
    R.I.P to all 8 people involved.
    God love their families.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

absolutely terrible. RIP, and god love the poor families.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Condolences to the families of all who died tragically.

My thoughts are also with the emergency services who had to respond to the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Shocking stuff. RIP all. Poor families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Horrible thing to happen to so many young people in one accident. I feel fur the families.

Something really needs to be done about the fatalities: especially in rural areas and that part of the country in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Words are difficult to find at a time like this. A terrible, terrible tragic accident and I really feel for the families of these young men. RIP.

Can I ask you all to please respect the sensitive nature of the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Whilst theres needs to be sympathy, there also needs to be anger when it is shown the reckless abandonment shown by the driver of the passat who sped away from the scene of another accident only seconds before.

Assuming he survives his injuries trhe book should be thrown at him and so should the anger of the parent & friends of all those who have died.

Until such time the people of Donegal stop pussyfooting around these horror incidents, they will continue. - The previous horror when 5 friends from Inishowen who took every careful precaution only to be killed by a driver pissed off his head was horrific. The perpetrator got away with 4 years jail!:eek: (will be out after 2) - even though he has permanent injuries, the book should have been thrown at him and he should have received a minimum 10 years per life.

Drivers a certain level over the limit and drivers who drive dangerously should have vehicles immediatly seized and if found guilty, the vehicle destroyed.

Only then, will these thugs think about their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

91011 wrote: »
    Whilst theres needs to be sympathy, there also needs to be anger when it is shown the reckless abandonment shown by the driver of the passat who sped away from the scene of another accident only seconds before.

Assuming he survives his injuries trhe book should be thrown at him and so should the anger of the parent & friends of all those who have died.

Until such time the people of Donegal stop pussyfooting around these horror incidents, they will continue. - The previous horror when 5 friends from Inishowen who took every careful precaution only to be killed by a driver pissed off his head was horrific. The perpetrator got away with 4 years jail!:eek: (will be out after 2) - even though he has permanent injuries, the book should have been thrown at him and he should have received a minimum 10 years per life.

Drivers a certain level over the limit and drivers who drive dangerously should have vehicles immediatly seized and if found guilty, the vehicle destroyed.

Have to agree with your reasoning but let's wait and see what the outcome of the investigation is before we lay blame. Although everything points towards the driver of the Passatt being at fault just remember that no facts are known about the cause of the accident yet. Also the passengers probably willingly allowed themselves to be carried unbelted, in an overcrowded car with a possibly known drunk driver who had just hit another car so .... maybe blame is shared. People need to take responsibilit for their own welfare too. Anyway, we'll see. It's shocking for so many young people to lose their lives in this way. I can only imagine the knock on the door this morning with that awful news.

RIP to all who lost their lives.

91011 wrote: »

Again we should not draw up any conclusions to the nature of this accident until we recieve official reports from the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just after hearing this now

RIP and condolances for all invloved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Terrible terrible Accident, Thought with the famalies of the deceased....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement