Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Disaster for the area and the families.
    Donegal (and the North in general) are mad about their motorsports and this is why there is more fatal accidents in Donegal in my opinion.

RIP to all regradless.
    I'm sorry but a general statement like that is completely uncalled for. You must remember that us up here in Donegal don't get the money to run a decent public transport service, we don't get money for road improvements as much as other counties, we have one of the largest counties in Ireland in terms of area, all these factors inevitably add together to increase the number of accidents in Donegal. Yes there is a number of boy racers around the county but they aren’t a Donegal only breed so try not to paint us all up here with the same brush.

And can i just say for you to check your facts and figures as Donegal hasn't the highest fatality rate in Ireland. Chesk RSA if you don't believe it
    91011 wrote: »
    Whilst theres needs to be sympathy, there also needs to be anger when it is shown the reckless abandonment shown by the driver of the passat who sped away from the scene of another accident only seconds before.

I have to agree with the 2 other posters about this. Unless you know something that everyone else doesn't don't jump to conclusions.

It's a tragedy for all those concerned and the last thing family and friends of the victims need is for people who didn't know those involved to make persumptions about these people and to what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

You know, the article doesn't actually make it clear which of the two cars involved hit another car prior to the accident. Just saying ...

RIP all involved, and condolences to the family. A horrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

You know, the article doesn't actually make it clear which of the two cars involved hit another car prior to the accident. Just saying ...

RIP all involved, and condolences to the family. A horrible tragedy.

But a VW Passat isn't designed to transport 8 people ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

LoanShark wrote: »
    As much of a disaster as this is, Your comment is BullS**t... A fair majority of R.T.A.s are caused by drivers from Northern Ireland who don't know the roads and are caught out, I agree that speed and not having knowledge of the roads is also a factor.. It is extrememly unfair for you to say that motorsport and fans of mototrsport are reckless in their driving and are the cause of such carnage..

This is not the thread to continue this discussion So, I'll stop now..

I send my deepest sympathy to the families of all involved in this horrific accident...RIP..

So its unfair to say that motorsport loving drivers are reckless, but it not unfair to say that northern ireland drivers are reckless?

Before making sweeping comments come back here with cold, hard, proper figures. Then we'll discuss further...

As for the comment of drink being involved, thats a bit premature. Having 8 people in the car can make it very hard to control which may explain the earlier accident. Better to wait for the official report. Terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

There seems to be a very high occurance of the driver surviving when all other occupants die! Does anyone know if this an actual fact or just my imagination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

There seems to be a very high occurance of the driver surviving when all other occupants die! Does anyone know if this an actual fact or just my imagination?

If a car is on the road, the one person guaranteed to be in it is the driver (hopefully!)...hence you'd imagine the highest safety focus for manufacturers is on the drivers "cockpit"...I'd imagine thats the reason they have a better chance at survival in a crash??

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

r.i.p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Down to not wearing seatbelts and minimum head protection. Remember that RSA add with Somanta Momba sound track?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The only person who can sit in the drivers seat is the driver. They have the steering wheel in front of them and possibly a seatbelt and an airbag. There would probably be multiple occupant in the remainder of the seats mostly unrestrained hence the high rate of mortality.

Sad event, thoughts also with the emergency services who had to deal with the devistation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

qwytre wrote: »
    It was 8 in the passat, 7 died in that plus the driver of the other car. The driver of the passat is in critical condition.

Absolute horror. RIP.

Drive carefully everyone.

With all due respect and sympathy to the people and their families, I think the reporters may have made a mistake here. are they sure it wasn't a VW Sharran or some VW 7 seater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

This is dreadful beyond any words I can write here, speaking from my own point off view as I lost 2 brothers in similar incidents in the passed 10 years I just hope those around the families give the support the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

With all due respect and sympathy to the people and their families, I think the reporters may have made a mistake here. are they sure it wasn't a VW Sharran or some VW 7 seater?

It's not uncommon to see a group of young people stacking into a car like this. I have a VW passatt and it's very roomy, you would easily get two light guys in the front passanger seat along with 5 in the back, squashed in and one on someone's lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Independent and Times both say passat on their websites, Times goes as far as saying a black passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 calmone?

I live in the Area and was with some of the parent when told.

No one should assume at this time that there was drink involved or talk about who's fault it was.
    Please remember that people have died.
    Think how it will effect the parents, families, young people and the whole community! everyone is in shock.
    Drink, speeding or balme should not be talked about at this time......please

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

I think everyone should stop speculating as to the causes / blame, it's not the time.

It's a tragedy, have some respect.

My thoughts to the families, friends, and the survivor and emergency services who will be affected by this for the rest of their lives. There will be a huge emotional fallout from this in Inishowen, no need to add to that by speculating ond sabre rattling.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

Once again, we wake to this terrible news!
    My thoughts and prayers are with all the families involved in this tragedy. Now isn't the time for speculation.

RIP to all the victims

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

gym_mom wrote: »
    It's not uncommon to see a group of young people stacking into a car like this. I have a VW passatt and it's very roomy, you would easily get two light guys in the front passanger seat along with 5 in the back, squashed in and one on someone's lap.

I wasn't doubting that this was a possibility :) Jus thought it might have been a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

calmone? wrote: »
    I live in the Area and was with some of the parent when told.

No one should assume at this time that there was drink involved or talk about who's fault it was.
    Please remember that people have died.
    Think how it will effect the parents, families, young people and the whole community! everyone is in shock.
    Drink, speeding or balme should not be talked about at this time......please
    I think that about sums up my personal view and also my view as forum moderator.

As I said earlier its an extremely sensitive topic and Id ask you all to show a wee bit of respect for the bereaved families and friends of those who lost their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

gleep wrote: »
    I think everyone should stop speculating as to the causes / blame, it's not the time.

It's a tragedy, have some respect.

My thoughts to the families, friends, and the survivor and emergency services who will be affected by this for the rest of their lives. There will be a huge emotional fallout from this in Inishowen, no need to add to that by speculating ond sabre rattling.

R.I.P

+ 1 for the emergency services and their families up there

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

91011 wrote: »
    Whilst theres needs to be sympathy, there also needs to be anger when it is shown the reckless abandonment shown by the driver of the passat who sped away from the scene of another accident only seconds before.

Assuming he survives his injuries trhe book should be thrown at him and so should the anger of the parent & friends of all those who have died.

Until such time the people of Donegal stop pussyfooting around these horror incidents, they will continue. - The previous horror when 5 friends from Inishowen who took every careful precaution only to be killed by a driver pissed off his head was horrific. The perpetrator got away with 4 years jail!:eek: (will be out after 2) - even though he has permanent injuries, the book should have been thrown at him and he should have received a minimum 10 years per life.

Drivers a certain level over the limit and drivers who drive dangerously should have vehicles immediatly seized and if found guilty, the vehicle destroyed.

Only then, will these thugs think about their actions.
    Driver didnt speed away from the scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

danniemcq wrote: »
    I have to agree with the 2 other posters about this. Unless you know something that everyone else doesn't don't jump to conclusions.

People saying things like "a terrible tragedy / tragic accident" are surely also jumping to conclusions.

If it was an accident then it is indeed a terrible tragedy.

If there was drink involved, or dangerous driving on someones part, then it is an outrageous act of selfishness and criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'm completely shocked about this.
    MrsMac, the kids & I, were on that road yesterday, and it's crazy to think that such a tragic accident happend a few hours later.

I am a little bit dissapointed by some of the remarks I've read in here this morning.
    People, with no idea of what really happened, passing judement on such a tragedy, and painting the community as fanatics.

I am not here to argue, to judge, or to question the actions of those involved (that is for the authorities to do) - but to ask you to remember that 8 people have died. Possibly 16 parents are devasted, dozens of brothers and sisters are in tears, families are mourning, and entire communities are in shock.

My thoughts, respect, and even a prayer, go to those who are suffering the sadness and grief, of this tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Jesus, I thought for a second when I saw 8 people killed on the RTE website it was a bombing in Iraq or something!

So many people in one accident, so sad. So many emotions and speculation of course but this shouldn't be discussed until the full extent of what really happened is known.

Thoughts to the families

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    People saying things like "a terrible tragedy / tragic accident" are surely also jumping to conclusions.

If there was drink involved, or dangerous driving on someones part, then it is an outrageous act of selfishness and criminality.

You're right. 8 people deserved to die.

Well done

Course it was a tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

RIP all of those poor victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

stooge wrote: »
    So its unfair to say that motorsport loving drivers are reckless, but it not unfair to say that northern ireland drivers are reckless?

Before making sweeping comments come back here with cold, hard, proper figures. Then we'll discuss further...

As for the comment of drink being involved, thats a bit premature. Having 8 people in the car can make it very hard to control which may explain the earlier accident. Better to wait for the official report. Terrible tragedy.

I said a fair amount of RTAs are caused by Northern Ireland Drivers due not knowing roads and speed..It doesnt make them reckles.

It is unfortunate that motorsport fans ALL get tarred with the same brush about being reckless drivers and I was stating this was untrue.

I never said anything about drink being taken.

Also coming on here with facts and figures at this time would be extremely inconsiderate,I think we can leave it for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

Bob_Harris wrote: »

No need for that kind of talk seriously just no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I feel sorry for the Corolla driver. I have no sympathy for joyriders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

All in my prayers, so so tragic, rest in peace all those poor souls ripped from thier lives in their prime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement