Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

No need for that kind of talk seriously just no need.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Stark wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the Corolla driver. I have no sympathy for joyriders.

Nor do I, but I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

mrmac wrote: »
    I'm completely shocked about this.
    MrsMac, the kids & I, were on that road yesterday, and it's crazy to think that such a tragic accident happend a few hours later.

I am a little bit dissapointed by some of the remarks I've read in here this morning.
    People, with no idea of what really happened, passing judement on such a tragedy, and painting the community as fanatics.

I am not here to argue, to judge, or to question the actions of those involved (that is for the authorities to do) - but to ask you to remember that 8 people have died. Possibly 16 parents are devasted, dozens of brothers and sisters are in tears, families are mourning, and entire communities are in shock.

My thoughts, respect, and even a prayer, go to those who are suffering the sadness and grief, of this tragic accident.

+1.

Please bear in mind that relatives and/or friends of the deceased will more than likely be reading this thread. Let's keep it as a tribute to those who died and stop speculation / blame and badly timed comments.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Why not?

there's no need to personalize the discussion, that's why. This isn't a "Lets find someone to blame" thread. This is a condolence thread. There's not anybody in their right mind who would condone drinking and driving, but that doesn't mean that you go and heckle someones family at a funeral.

Like, what are you all trying to achieve? What is the point of posting deliberately provocative statements on a thread, the intent of which couldn't be clearer? Do you really think *anyone* would argue that it's not cool to joyride/drink drive or whatever? Of course they wouldn't. Nobody cares that you think drink drivers or joyriders are terrible. Go away and preach somewhere else.

I mean - "murdered by those 8 men" - ffs. You want to be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

tbh wrote: »
    there's no need to personalize the discussion, that's why. This isn't a "Lets find someone to blame" thread. This is a condolence thread. There's not anybody in their right mind who would condone drinking and driving, but that doesn't mean that you go and heckle someones family at a funeral.

Like, what are you all trying to achieve? What is the point of posting deliberately provocative statements on a thread, the intent of which couldn't be clearer? Do you really think *anyone* would argue that it's not cool to joyride/drink drive or whatever? Of course they wouldn't. Nobody cares that you think drink drivers or joyriders are terrible. Go away and preach somewhere else.

I mean - "murdered by those 8 men" - ffs. You want to be ashamed of yourself.

Well, firstly, thanks for mis-quoting me. I never said "murdered by those 8 men". I didn't even attach blame to anyone, I was just pointing out that everyone is jumping to conclusions about what happened.

In fact, there are people who are actively attaching blame on here yet I am the one singled out to be Mr evil (which seems to be a common theme on boards.ie)

Where in the thread or thread title does it say this is a "condolence" thread? It's a discussion board, and thread topics are there to be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Well, firstly, thanks for mis-quoting me. I never said "murdered by those 8 men". I didn't even attach blame to anyone, I was just pointing out that everyone is jumping to conclusions about what happened.

In fact, there are people who are actively attaching blame on here yet I am the one singled out to be Mr evil (which seems to be a common theme on boards.ie)

Where in the thread or thread title does it say this is a "condolence" thread? It's a discussion board, and thread topics are there to be discussed.

The mod has made the point several times. I wasn't talking about you specifically, I just quoted your post because you asked why it was inappropriate to talk about them wrt to apportioning blame.

Look.

Those lads are dead. They neither know nor care what people on boards think of them or their actions. The only people who could possibly be affected by those judgements are their families.

There's not a person on boards who would condone drinking and driving, or speeding, or joyriding (not that ANY of those has been established as the cause of crash, btw). It's a total no-brainer that no-body would defend those actions or minimise them or try in any way to say that they are ok.

It's just that most of us would have more class than to knock on the door of one of those grieving families and say "you know what - your son/brother/boyfriend deserved it". That's exactly what some people are doing on this thread, and I find it pathetic.

I'm sorry for dragging this thread off topic again.

Sorry i didn't know the purpose of this thread was just to express condolences? I thought it was for general discussion of the incident?

No I wouldn't turn up to a hanging however i believe im free to express my opinion, assuming this is a general discussion thread.

No matter what condition the driver is in, whether he's a cabbage or not - he should be charged with murder. Maybe the passengers should be charged too?

Of course I'd respect the families of everyone involved but i don't think at a time like this they'd be on boards - an internet discussion forum. I just keep feeling for that poor man in the corrolla...

Unreal.

You're as entitled to express your opinion as anyone else on boards, I ask that you show a little sensitivity.

I also ask that you don't reply, I don't want to discuss this any further with you involved. I'll be staying away from this thread myself now, don't like where it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

You're right. 8 people deserved to die.

Well done

Course it was a tragedy

Ah now,

Thats not what he was saying at all. I of course agree that it is a horrible devestating tradgedy, and for those who died, those left behind or touched in anyway by this life will never be the same- how could that not be tragic.

However I can think of at least 4 other tragedies on the roads of Donegal in my recent recollection for which the same call for 'restraint of anger until the truth was confirmed' was called for, and the fact is this truth is never properly outed, people of course find out in the locality, licences are temporarily revoked, short suspended sentences are handed down, but nobody is ever properly clearly and publicly held to account for their devestating and thoughtless action.

Maybe when culpability can be proven in these cases it is time we start to publicly and properly hold people for account, it is time that to partake in reckless driving can hold the same consequence as recklessly grabbing a knife in the course of a brawl, when proper societial anger and retribution is delt once, and I agree only once, culpability can be shown.

Perhaps the driver of the Passat was reckless, perhaps he wasnt, but the fact is that in the homes and on the roads of Donegal too many people are walking around with blood on their hands, and the only person they truely have to answer to is their own conscience. Is that enough of a disincentive to stop the next person from turning the key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

The mod has made the point several times...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

guys, it's already been revealed that there are people connected to the familys posting on this forum

these tragic events have only happened in the last 12 hours or so, please show some respect and avoid laying blame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The mod has made the point several times. I wasn't talking about you specifically, I just quoted your post because you asked why it was inappropriate to talk about them wrt to apportioning blame.

Look.

Those lads are dead. They neither know nor care what people on boards think of them or their actions. The only people who could possibly be affected by those judgements are their families.

There's not a person on boards who would condone drinking and driving, or speeding, or joyriding (not that ANY of those has been established as the cause of crash, btw). It's a total no-brainer that no-body would defend those actions or minimise them or try in any way to say that they are ok.

It's just that most of us would have more class than to knock on the door of one of those grieving families and say "you know what - your son/brother/boyfriend deserved it". That's exactly what some people are doing on this thread, and I find it pathetic.

I'm sorry for dragging this thread off topic again.

Just 2 points then ill leave it

1 - nobody here would go up to the door of one of those families and say that obviously. However this is an internet discussion forum so we are all free to say what we'd like IMO

2 - it's pretty obvious who is to blame and that speed was involved. The fact that 8 men died at the scene - basic physics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

RIP. Thoughts and prayers with all the families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

If you ask me Boards (well donegal boards) has sunk to a new low today, some of the statments made here are downright silly and above all disrecpectfull, we all have our views either good or bad views on the accident (myself included) but its better to keep these things to ourselves.

Boards.ie is a public forum, and believe it or not you can be sued for making comments on here, as its the you poster who makes the comments and are ultimetly responsable for them.

Wise up folks and have a bit of respect, no matter what your views as MRMAC pointed out, there are a lot of greiving people this morning, i think its time to think about what your posting and have some respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

91011 wrote: »
    Whilst theres needs to be sympathy, there also needs to be anger when it is shown the reckless abandonment shown by the driver of the passat who sped away from the scene of another accident only seconds before.

Assuming he survives his injuries trhe book should be thrown at him and so should the anger of the parent & friends of all those who have died.

Until such time the people of Donegal stop pussyfooting around these horror incidents, they will continue. - The previous horror when 5 friends from Inishowen who took every careful precaution only to be killed by a driver pissed off his head was horrific. The perpetrator got away with 4 years jail!:eek: (will be out after 2) - even though he has permanent injuries, the book should have been thrown at him and he should have received a minimum 10 years per life.

Drivers a certain level over the limit and drivers who drive dangerously should have vehicles immediatly seized and if found guilty, the vehicle destroyed.

Only then, will these thugs think about their actions.

My sympathies are with the families & friends but have to agree
    All 8 of them new what they were doing and even if speed and drink was not a factor over loading a car like this is a factor.
    The 60yo man is dead by no fault of his own that is the biggest tragedy
    Young people have to see and be shown that the 8 lads were putting them selves at risk and others.
    Over the coming days we will hear how great each and every one of them were and see loads of tear for them but the fact is that people are killing people on our roads every day.
    I know what I am saying is harsh and I would love to be able to go back and stop what happened but it is time that blame is place on them in public

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

If you ask me Boards (well donegal boards) has sunk to a new low today, some of the statments made here are downright silly and above all disrecpectfull, we all have our views either good or bad views on the accident (myself included) but its better to keep these things to ourselves.

Boards.ie is a public forum, and believe it or not you can be sued for making comments on here, as its the you poster who makes the comments and are ultimetly responsable for them.

Wise up folks and have a bit of respect, no matter what your views as MRMAC pointed out, there are a lot of greiving people this morning, i think its time to think about what your posting and have some respect!
    It is not better to keep it to ourselves
    People reading this need to know what we think before they get in to a car and cause something like this

dean21 wrote: »
    People reading this need to know what we think before they get in to a care and cause something like this

Sorry but do you think that your opinion will do more to discourage this than the fact that 8 people died?

SHOJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

People reading this need to know what we think before they get in to a care and cause something like this

.... i had a reply wrote out but im not going getting into stupid petty arguements.... you dont know my views on this but i dont think boards is the place to be speculating on what happened simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Do they teach road safety in schools?

If not, why the **** not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Perhaps their should be a seperate condolence thread opened (as I'm sure everyone has condolence to share) and allow this thread to be here for people who want to discuss the wider issues this has again caused to resurface?

Obviously this should continue with respect, but I dont see the benefit of constantly shushing the voices of reason here too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

All 8 of them new what they were doing and even if speed and drink was not a factor over loading a car like this is a factor.

True, no one disputes that, but as yet, there is no evidence that this caused the accident.

The 60yo man is dead by no fault of his own that is the biggest tragedy

How do you know?
    Instead of playing the "young = reckless" card, I could easily say "age = ill health" card, and suggest that the 60yo may have had a heart attack, which caused the accident. Sounds silly, doesn't it? I mean, how can I say that, without knowing what happened??

Perhaps, as has been suggested, it would be best to remain, "respectfully" silent on making un-founded comments. Let's give a few days grace, to find out some details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭frex

Its a horrible, unnecessary shame that a bunch of people who's intention was to get from A to B have ended up not getting there. The number of people who will now be permanently affected as family and friends is so huge and there is no doubt that we all feel for them right now.

Irrespective of whether it was recklessness or an accident, if publicity and debate around this incident causes at least one more person to think of the potential risk of their actions and save them from being in the same situation again, it will at least be something positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nobody here would go up to the door of one of those families and say that obviously. However this is an internet discussion forum so we are all free to say what we'd like IMO
    No you're not allowed to say what you want..
    Jit's pretty obvious who is to blame and that speed was involved. The fact that 8 men died at the scene - basic physics
    Im getting a bit fed up at having to repeat myself here. There is a time and a place for speculation but this forum isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Things like this are swept under the rug in our county all the time as it is a sensitive topic when people have lost their loved ones. In one sense it isn't the time to say it but at the end of the day an accident like this could have easily been avoided if it wasn't for the stupidity of the people in the passat.
    Knowing people from the area this isn't the first time this driver has been warned about reckless driving and sadly now those warnings were in vain and people are dead.

Young people need to know that this is the results of reckless driving and not to hear it through the whispers of people afraid to offend the victims family members. The death toll on the roads of Donegal could be alot lower.

Now i know alot of people on here won't agree with me on this but thats just my 2 cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

RIP to everyone who died. Sad day for Donegal and once again the area of the north east. Too many people, young and old have died in that area.
    gym_mom wrote: »
    It's not uncommon to see a group of young people stacking into a car like this. I have a VW passatt and it's very roomy, you would easily get two light guys in the front passanger seat along with 5 in the back, squashed in and one on someone's lap.

Just because a car is roomy and it's not 'uncommon', doesn't mean you are allowed to break the safety regulations of that car or make it right. That car has only 5 seatbelts so therefore 5 people are only allowed in that car. Had they had followed the rules, 2 lives would have been spared.

I see the names have been released now, lot of them have the same second name, wonder if they're related? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

This reminds me of the accident a few years back when 5 were killed at Quigleys Point all that could be heard was people slaying the young ones in the car driving too fast, drink, drugs etc were all bandied about.

Turned out it was not their fault and until the exact cause of this accident is known lets not speculate like before!

Right. I have issued a few infractions but I have stopped short of getting out the ban stick but it is sitting at the ready.

Im going to make this very simple and very easy. Any more speculation or any more "discussions" about the matters that are derailing this thread will result in an instant ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

It's not uncommon to see a group of young people stacking into a car like this. I have a VW passatt and it's very roomy, you would easily get two light guys in the front passanger seat along with 5 in the back, squashed in and one on someone's lap.

I have never seen 8 men in a car. Absolutely ridiculous. Such a waste of life.

• Advertisement

inode wrote: »
    Things like this are swept under the rug in our county all the time as it is a sensitive topic when people have lost their loved ones. In one sense it isn't the time to say it but at the end of the day an accident like this could have easily been avoided if it wasn't for the stupidity of the people in the passat.
    Knowing people from the area this isn't the first time this driver has been warned about reckless driving and sadly now those warnings were in vain and people are dead.

Young people need to know that this is the results of reckless driving and not to hear it through the whispers of people afraid to offend the victims family members. The death toll on the roads of Donegal could be alot lower.

Now i know alot of people on here won't agree with me on this but thats just my 2 cents...
    Oh ffs what a stupid and silly thing to post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement