Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

coming from Clonmany and knowing 5 of these men seeing 2 in a local pub just minutes before the crash i am shocked and upset at some of the comments on this website, some of the members on this forum should be ashamed of them selves and obviously have no clue what they are talking about, the other car involved in the first accident is a neighbor of mine.The driver of the passat was NOT drinking although he may have been speeding,
    please stop speculating from what you have heard on rte news, if you came from the area you wouldn't be so into your point finger blaming and would be in deep grief. If you haven't got something respectful to say do not post!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

bmw535d wrote: »
    coming from Clonmany and knowing 5 of these men seeing 2 in a local pub just minutes before the crash i am shocked and upset at some of the comments on this website, some of the members on this forum should be ashamed of them selves and obviously have no clue what they are talking about, the other car involved in the first accident is a neighbor of mine.The driver of the passat was NOT drinking although he may have been speeding,
    please stop speculating from what you have heard on rte news, if you came from the area you wouldn't be so into your point finger blaming and would be in deep grief. If you haven't got something respectful to say do not post!:mad:
    Why did he not stop after hitting the first car????
    She has a broken wrist

that is something im am not going to speculate or comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Well said. It's interesting to see the difference in posts from people in Donegal to people from the rest of the country. I think a lot of these people are hiding behind their usernames. They know by this stage that friends and family of the deceased will read this thread but would they say the same comments if we were all sitting in the same room talking about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Indeed it is an utter tragedy that so many people were killed in one incident, but I have made the point before on these boards, for which i was castigated, that if you fail to adhere to common sense, you will suffer the consequences. Speed kills, full stop. the faster you drive the more likely you are to die should you be involved in an accident. 99.9 % of drivers exceed the speed limit everytime they get in their car, so both young and old, the nissan micra drivers to the 7 series BMW drivers all break the speed limit, why? because they are careless, selfish and arrogant enough to think they are sufficiently skilled behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. In this incident, cramming 7 people into a car is utter lunacy, the maths tell us one or more of the victims would not have been wearing a seatbelt.Having shared a car with other young people on numerous occasions there is an inevitable boisterousness that comes with the territory that can only serve as a distraction to the driver ,couple this with with the element of speed and the consequences are fatal. No doubt i'll be attacked for writing this in the afternath of the donegal tragedy, but the sooner people understand that driving a car is a privilege and not a right the closer we will get to tackling the cause of road traffic deaths.

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »
    True, no one disputes that, but as yet, there is no evidence that this caused the accident.

How do you know?
    Instead of playing the "young = reckless" card, I could easily say "age = ill health" card, and suggest that the 60yo may have had a heart attack, which caused the accident. Sounds silly, doesn't it? I mean, how can I say that, without knowing what happened??

Perhaps, as has been suggested, it would be best to remain, "respectfully" silent on making un-founded comments. Let's give a few days grace, to find out some details.

The guy over the road safety in Donegal has just said on the new at one that the accident was primarily caused by one car and that 7 people died in that car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dean21 wrote: »
    She has a broken wrist

This will be up to the Gardai to find out and not up to us to speculate..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Shocking news.

RTE had all the names up on the webpage an hour ago, they seem to have removed them now and edited down the details... was thinking it was a bit early.

My condolences to all the friends and families of those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dean21 wrote: »
    She has a broken wrist

do we know who hit the first car, there is nothing on the RTE website or what i have heard on the news that suggests weather it was the Passet, or the Corolla.

Can please stop makeing assumptions, none of the facts have yet been reveailed, please please let those left behind to greive and not have thier loved ones discussed like this

^ Just saw Hotais posted them above. If RTE took them down then I'd ask the mods to edit that out as there must be a reason for that. Maybe all the relatives/friends haven't been contacted yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

muffler wrote: »
    Right. I have issued a few infractions but I have stopped short of getting out the ban stick but it is sitting at the ready.

Im going to make this very simple and very easy. Any more speculation or any more "discussions" about the matters that are derailing this thread will result in an instant ban.

You might want to put in the title "condolences only thread" because at this moment in time you are infracting people for discussing the topic, i.e. staying on topic.

Just because you perceive a thread to be something (condolence thread) doesn't mean you can go around banning and giving infractions to people who perceive it as something else (general discussion on the topic, i.e. the default "mode" of a thread, discussing the topic of the thread)

I see I got an infraction for "Back Seat Modding". Did the guy I quoted in my first post get a similar infraction, or the large number of people who are saying similar things to him? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

irish-stew wrote: »
    do we know who hit the first car, there is nothing on the RTE website or what i have heard on the news that suggests weather it was the Passet, or the Corolla.

Can please stop makeing assumptions, none of the facts have yet been reveailed, please please let those left behind to greive and not have thier loved ones discussed like this
    Gardaí believe the Passat had collided with a silver Renault several hundred yards before crashing into the Corolla.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0712/breaking5.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Hotais

foto joe wrote: »
    ^ Just saw Hotais posted them above. If RTE took them down then I'd ask the mods to edit that out as there must be a reason for that. Maybe all the relatives/friends haven't been contacted yet.

I took it down, apologies. The details are up on the web tho.

i would like if people would put their thoughts and prayers to the driver who is in critical condition in hospital,instead of asking ridicules questions that they could answer themselves.7 young men and 1 elderly man will be taken from hospital this evening,1000's of Donegal people are effected by this terrible tragedy, its easy to cast blame and speculation if your not from the area, its extremely difficult to drive through your local town and think that those men were in it last night and are now wiped out. if this was in your area i'm sure you'd feel annoyed if i speculated about drink driving speeding overloading, and the love of Motorsport(possibly the most stupid post of the day) had anything to do with this crash

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

irish-stew wrote: »
    Gardaí believe the Passat had collided with a silver Renault several hundred yards before crashing into the Corolla. No one was injured in the first incident.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0712/breaking5.html

in time we will see who cause it but it make my blood boil
    Every day we see idiots on the roads, speeding, drunk, overtaking and all over the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

This is incredibly sad. I'm from Buncrana and the mood here is unspeakable. I was on the town the street last night as hearse after hearse passed through. Many were crying, some hysterical- small town (ca 2000 people) and everyone knows everyone.

I haven't read the other posts but on behalf of the people of Inishowen I'd like to request sensitivity in your posts. Its not the time for blame or speculation- its very sad for all the families.

Just watched the live news clip on RTE player... they say some relatives are abroad on holidays and haven't got contact with them yet. Best keep names off the thread until it's on all the news websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RIP and my condolences to the victims.

Also a special mention for the Emergency Services personnel dealing with such a horrific scene, Jim McDaid spoke about it earlier on Newstalk.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    RIP and my condolences to the victims.

Also a special mention for the Emergency Services personnel dealing with such a horrific scene, Jim McDaid spoke about it earlier on Newstalk.
    well said it will remain with them for all there life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

14 years of school can't give people brains. It's really shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Jim McDaid spoke about it earlier on Newstalk.

Jesus H Christ, if it wasnt so tragic, that would be laughable.

A dark day for Inishowen indeed. Have driven that road on the way to Ballyliffen many a time and it is a tight road in parts. God be with the families and relatives of the deceased. RIP.

14 years of school can't give people brains. It's really shocking.

what the hell does school or brains have to do with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

Sorry i didn't know the purpose of this thread was just to express condolences? I thought it was for general discussion of the incident?

No I wouldn't turn up to a hanging however i believe im free to express my opinion, assuming this is a general discussion thread.

No matter what condition the driver is in, whether he's a cabbage or not - he should be charged with murder. Maybe the passengers should be charged too?

Of course I'd respect the families of everyone involved but i don't think at a time like this they'd be on boards - an internet discussion forum. I just keep feeling for that poor man in the corrolla...

My God you are unreal !!!! The choice of words you use is nothing short of disgusting. "whether he's a cabbage or not " !!!! Incredible ! This is a young man who has made an error of judgment, something everyone on this thread has done in some manner or form in their lifetimes. Possibly he may be to blame but you dont know that yet. Im almost more shocked by your tone at such a horrific accident than the accident itself !

what the hell does school or brains have to do with this?

If you had a brain, you would not get into a car with 8 people in it.

Sorry i didn't know the purpose of this thread was just to express condolences? I thought it was for general discussion of the incident?

No I wouldn't turn up to a hanging however i believe im free to express my opinion, assuming this is a general discussion thread.

No matter what condition the driver is in, whether he's a cabbage or not - he should be charged with murder. Maybe the passengers should be charged too?

Of course I'd respect the families of everyone involved but i don't think at a time like this they'd be on boards - an internet discussion forum. I just keep feeling for that poor man in the corrolla...

there is a line and you just fell over it, mods have a good read of this post and consider that a family member of the injured man may see this,(a time out wouldn't do any harm imo)

If you had a brain, you would not get into a car with 8 people in it.

if you hadn't a brain you'd be dead. whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Jim McDaid spoke about it earlier on Newstalk.

The same Dr Jim McDaid found guilty of driving drunk the wrong way up a motorway? he should be seen and not heard on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

gym_mom wrote: »
    My God you are unreal !!!! The choice of words you use is nothing short of disgusting. "whether he's a cabbage or not " !!!! Incredible ! This is a young man who has made an error of judgment, something everyone on this thread has done in some manner or form in their lifetimes. Possibly he may be to blame but you dont know that yet. Im almost more shocked by your tone at such a horrific accident than the accident itself !

No passangers survived!!!!

It was 8 people in the Passat 7 Deceased
    And 1 Person in the Corolla Deceased no passangers

RIP

• Advertisement

if you hadn't a brain you'd be dead. whats your point?

Make sense man. Why would you get into a car with 8 people in it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement