Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

First and foremost, this is a tragedy - the highest number of fatalities in a single crash since records began, 8 people are dead today because of this accident.

Incidents like this provoke a lot of anger and finger pointing, particularly among people not connected to the area it happened in or to the people involved.
    But that anger is wasted right now. People are still coming to terms with their loss, some family members don't even know yet.

It is fair enough to be angry when something like this happens, but now is not the time for venting your frustrations and Donegal boards is not the place to do so. I'm sure there will be a full investigation into the accident and this topic will be discussed at length in the coming days and weeks. Raw emotions and provocative statments do no one any good right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

bmw535d wrote: »
    .............. he may have been speeding,
    please stop speculating

Sure you are speculating yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jesus H Christ, if it wasnt so tragic, that would be laughable.

A dark day for Inishowen indeed. Have driven that road on the way to Ballyliffen many a time and it is a tight road in parts. God be with the families and relatives of the deceased. RIP.
    heybaby wrote: »
    The same Dr Jim McDaid found guilty of driving drunk the wrong way up a motorway? he should be seen and not heard on this one.

Well he spoke very well about the accident and he may know the families involved.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Make sense man. Why would you get into a car with 8 people in it?

my point is if you have nothing better to say/add to this discussion then your free to leave and bring your immaturity with you, the people are dead how are we going to find out why they got into the car, why do you have to ask such a stupid question? is that all you can add to the news of this terrible accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

bmw535d wrote: »
    what the hell does school or brains have to do with this?

It's a crying shame that they don't teach road safety in schools, particularly I'd say in rural areas such as Inishowen.

I can just imagine the arguments against it would be similar to sex education -- we couldn't possibly 'encourage' our children to drive at such a young age! And obviously if it's not spoken about, it doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

K-9 wrote: »
    Well he spoke very well about the accident and he may know the families involved.

Point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

SilverBell wrote: »
    Sure you are speculating yourself!!!

notice the word MAY? i did not say he was but knowing the car/driver and exact spot where it happend he MAY have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Can you stop trolling? Your first comment in this thread was obviously a baiting remark to start another argument. Can people read what the mods have said in this thread and please respect the lives lost. If you have nothing constructive to say on the matter (This doesn’t include speculation or random remarks about drivers in Donegal or young drivers in general) don’t say nothing at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 shelly2

I don't agree with those saying nows not the time to discuss road safety etc. Now is the time because unfortunately for everywhere but Donegal these deaths will be all forgotten about in a week and news will turn to something else.

Also what about that poor man in his 60s? that's who i feel really sorry for and offer my RIP sentiment to him. driving along minding his own business and he was murdered by those 8 men. Yes he was murdered as the sure the driver would have been the main culprit but the other 7 were surely accomplices by getting into that car. 8 men in a passat is ridiculous.

Sorry no sympathies whatsoever to those 8 men, though I'm sure it must be very difficult to their surviving loved ones.

Doesn't take much intelligence to see who was to blame here.

And what about the poor emergency services - my heart goes out to them, to think about the scene they arrived to...

I think you'll find that murder is not the word to be using. Killed by accident yes but Murder no. Murder implies intent. Being from the area and knowing the families of these boys I can safely say that none of those lads set out to kill anyone. They obviously were foolish overloading that car but to use such words is ridiculous.

Please think carefully before you go throwing such accusations around. You know nothing of the facts and know nothing of the people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

because you're young and you think bad things only happen to other people. These lads paid for their mistake with their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

K-9 wrote: »

That may be the case, but I think its entirely inapproapriate for an elected member of the dail and a medical doctor who is also a convicted drunk driver to be going on the national airwaves to comment on a fatal road traffic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's hard to get your head around 8 deaths from a single road traffic accident. You half expect news of a pile up on a motorway but for it to happen on a country road. I think it's quite abvious what the cause was here but it's best not to speculate further at this sensitive time.
    My thought and prayers to the families of those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

No passangers survived!!!!

It was 8 people in the Passat 7 Deceased
    And 1 Person in the Corolla Deceased no passangers

RIP
    Yes I can read and I know that the driver is the survivor and that's who I was referring to. So your point is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

Goodshape wrote: »
    It's a crying shame that they don't teach road safety in schools, particularly I'd say in rural areas such as Inishowen.

I can just imagine the arguments against it would be similar to sex education -- we couldn't possibly 'encourage' our children to drive at such a young age! And obviously if it's not spoken about, it doesn't happen.

Some schools in donegal do teach road safety especially within Transition Year. Unfortunately it cannot be taught to all students as it is not a seen as an official subject.

However in Donegal students from all schools, either TY or 5th year, are invited to attend the Road Safety Roadshow held in Letterkenny by the Donegal Road Safety Working Group. It does have an impact on the students and there awareness to Road Safety. Maybe it doesn't work for all the young people that see it. But the issue of road safety in Donegal is something that the authorities are aware of and are trying to raise awareness to the young people.

RIP to those who lost their lives last night. My thoughts are with their families and friends and also with the emergency services that had to attend that accident last night.

It would make you want to lock up your teenagers and never let them into a car with anyone other than yourself. Obviously this isn't an option. It really should be mandatory for all schools to provide road safety lessons at an early age. Im wondering is secondary school too late. If something is engrained in your mind from an early age it usually takes a lot to shift it. Maybe 9 or 10 is a better age to start introducing this topic. As teenagers/young adults they may be more inclined to think the "old fogies" are just spoiling their fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shocked12

As someone from the area I have to say I am sickened by the comments on this thread. Can I say someone has (wrongly) posted a link to this on fb:(so this is why I am here) so there are a lot of locals & probably relatives reading this. I think everyone thinks speeding, drink driving, etc are wrong (not saying drink involved not confirmed) but these "men" were no more than boys who thought they were immortal like we all did once. They were ordinary decent fellas not thugs, a bunch of relatives & friends. Of course they were wrong in what they did, the poor innocent man in the other car is another neighbour:( but they are dead & their families are devastated. I have been on forums long enough to know nobody listens to these kind of replies but I cannot go on reading without saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Cat82 wrote: »
    Some schools in donegal do teach road safety especially within Transition Year. Unfortunately it cannot be taught to all students as it is not a seen as an official subject.
    That's good to hear, though in light of *frequent* tragedies still doesn't sound like quite enough. When I went to school there, Scoil Mhuire in Buncrana, I don't remember hearing a whisper of road safety education - and transition year was not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I apologise for any upset caused by my posts. Whilst i stand by my comments I realise this isn't the time or place so I've deleted them.

I apologise for any upset caused by my posts. Whilst i stand by my comments I realise this isn't the time or place so I've deleted them.

This is even more insulting.. "I stand by my comments". Sometimes it's just better to say nothing.

To Shocked12. There are trolls on all messageboards, so nothing you can say or do will change that. Just know that all good, decent people are behind the relatives and friends of this awful tragedy and do not agree with the absolute evil spouted by people like this on such a sad occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

Sorry I should have mentioned that this has only been running a few years 3 maybe 4. I know we didn't have it at school nor was it in place when I started teaching 6 years ago. They take in emergency service personnel that attended accidents, people who have been injured as well as family members of people who have lost their lives in accidents locally.

This gives some details of the road show.
    http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/donegalnews/Silence-at-Letterkenny-centre-as.4596178.jp?articlepage=1

I suppose we only hear about the terrible tragedy of accidents but the lessons may stop one person speeding and prevent an accidents, but we never hear about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

heybaby wrote: »
    That may be the case, but I think its entirely inapproapriate for an elected member of the dail and a medical doctor who is also a convicted drunk driver to be going on the national airwaves to comment on a fatal road traffic accident.

He said he came across the accident 30 mins after it happened as he was in the area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm skeptical about the effectiveness of road safety lessons; all kids know that yes, a collision in a car at say 45mph is likely to kill or seriously injure. but as one other poster mentioned, kids think that happens to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Condolences to all involved in this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Back on topic........

RIP...truely awful, the poor families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

its terrible, my sympathy is with their families, but why is it always happening in north donegal, are the roads that bad ? if so its the governments fault, frankly i think the irish government dont give two ****es about donegal, i dont mean that in a smart way either...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TJJP wrote: »
    @ gym_mom - Perhaps you should re-read your own post from 11.06 this morning then? It is among one of the poorest of the unnecessary posts I’ve seen on this tragic topic.
    all i see is a statement that it would probably be relatively easy to get that many people into the car; it was not an endorsement for doing so, nor was it a claim that she does it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ah FFS. Will ye all just type 'R.I.P' and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ah FFS. Will ye all just type 'R.I.P' and leave it at that.
    I think in fairness it's inevitable that people will discuss things on forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

My God.
    I started this thread but am beginning to wish I hadn't. It was moved from AH I think in case insensitive comments were made and this is what happens. I can't believe some people are using this as a soapbox to generalise about motor crashes without focusing on the human tradgedy of so many people losing so many loved ones.
    I cant imagine how many people have been affected by this or what they must be feeling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ruthjoyce

Stark wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the Corolla driver. I have no sympathy for joyriders.

I have to say I slightly agree. It's absolutely devastating for the poor parents and families and my heart truly goes out to them and for the young men who were killed but it's hard not to assume things when the Passat was just in another collison before this one. Whatever about the rest of the passengers in the Passat it's hard not to assume certain things about the driver. The man in the Corolla, a man in his 60's was most likely just in the wrong place at the wrong time so we cannot forget about him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement