Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 killed in Donegal crash - Condolences here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ah FFS. Will ye all just type 'R.I.P' and leave it at that.

I don't think anyone is setting out to deliberately upset those families who are struggling to come to terms with this terrible event.

The concern is that we are __STILL__ seeing this kind of thing happening; so maybe we need to change our reaction to these terrible crashes & do something more than just mumbling the usual words of sympathy.

I hope, & believe, that the families will be supported by their community. But as a larger society we have to be looking at how do we stop this kind of crash happening again, & regrettably, doing that may require us to cause further pain to the bereaved, so that they aren't joined by yet more families in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As a Donegal man, all I can say is that this is nothing but a terrible tragedy to add to all those we've had over the years on the roads up here. RIP to all those killed in this and sympathy to the familes and friends of the deceased. Also, the emergency services personnel who attended the scene deserve our utmost respect and gratitude for having to deal with such devastation while remaining professional and compassionate while doing so.

Now, as an Admin on boards, I'm going to say something now - and I don't do this very often outside my own forums - I'd like for everybody to be respectful here and not to engage in any further idle speculation or get involved in any more spats here. The families involved do not need crap being spouted on here and I will act on this thread if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shocked12

sorry edited as I just saw the last msg-good call imo, leaving this board now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I can't believe some people are using this as a soapbox to generalise about motor crashes without focusing on the human tradgedy of so many people losing so many loved ones.

Once is a tragedy. So many times and you've got to start wondering what's going wrong.

It's very difficult to just come here and say "R.I.P., sorry for your loss" and continue on again as if nothing has happened again. Sadly, this doesn't just affect the families and friends of those who died, it's much wider than that. I have plenty of family and friends in Buncrana and I'd be concerned about any of them getting into a car at night. That's not right.

While any comments of "they deserved it" are despicable, mourning the loss of those who died and leaving it at that is just not enough. Wider issues need addressed here, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

fishfoodie wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is setting out to deliberately upset those families who are struggling to come to terms with this terrible event.

The concern is that we are __STILL__ seeing this kind of thing happening; so maybe we need to change our reaction to these terrible crashes & do something more than just mumbling the usual words of sympathy.

I hope, & believe, that the families will be supported by their community. But as a larger society we have to be looking at how do we stop this kind of crash happening again, & regrettably, doing that may require us to cause further pain to the bereaved, so that they aren't joined by yet more families in the future.
    Yes and if u asked any of those 8 familys they would say they did not wish this on any family and if one good thing comes from this it might be that young drivers will begin to under stand they are not God and cop to F**K on, this can not go on and on and zero tolerance is required.
    It has to change and that includes out attitude to those who cause salughter on our roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Goodshape wrote: »
    Wider issues need addressed here, imho.

no, not here. they need to be addressed, but not here. All addressing them here does is punish their families.

I removed a post from Fits Morris there and another that quoted it.

Any more posts along the lines of that from Fits Morris will lead to an instant ban.

Now, keep it civil here and on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

Answer this
    If the lads were to blame and i say if and they crashed in to a mother and Father and 2 young children and killed them what would we be saying here.?
    Somebody was to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

I remember when I was late teens, early twenties, I would have squashed into a car with 6 or 7 people no bother, cars a lot smaller than a Pasatt. When you're that young on a night out and have to get from A to B you're not really thinking in terms of "what if" at that age. You're just out for a good night with friends. Looking back now I do remember a couple of times where I travelled in an overflowing car with nobody strapped in. If that car had been in even a minor collision there would have been deaths or serious injuries for sure. It's unfortunate that sense comes with age and experience.

• Advertisement

dean21 wrote: »
    Answer this
    If the lads were to blame and i say if and they crashed in to a mother and Father and 2 young children and killed them what would we be saying here.?
    Somebody was to blame
    This is not the place for pointing the finger of blame, the Gardaí will investigate this and we can let them decide. Show some respect to the families involved please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

RIP to the victims, all of whom were killed before their time.
    Best hopes that the injured makes a recovery and thoughts are with all the familiy, friends and emergency services that were/are involved in this terrible incidend.
    Whatever about the rights and wrongs, that will all come out in future but this kinda thing tears communities apart. I know I've been in communites that have suffered like this in the past, where there has been a massive loss of life which could have been avoided.

When you get onto the road in a car you are immediately increasing your risks of dying or getting seriously injured either as a direct result of your own actions or even more worryingly as a direct result of someone elses. Sometimes, you get lucky when you are young, you make a mistake or two and nothing comes of it. If you are smart enough those lessons are enought to improve your driving and appreciated what a fickle and dangerous place the roads can be thus making you think more, other times, you dont get that second chance.........theres a car on the opposite side of the road, what if you'd not have been going so fast etc.........
    These people, all 8 of them, wont have any "what if's".

RIP and condolances to all the people in that area of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

tbh wrote: »
    no, not here. they need to be addressed, but not here. All addressing them here does is punish their families.

Nonsense. Again with the "this is a condolence only thread" theme. Show me where it says that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 acrmorris

I have great sympathy for the innocent people involved or affected, of which there must be hundreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bendy85

Nobody is to blame in these situations, RIP too all involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Nonsense. Again with the "this is a condolence only thread" theme. Show me where it says that?

Does it need to be stated explicitly at this stage?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

muffler wrote: »
    Words are difficult to find at a time like this. A terrible, terrible tragic accident and I really feel for the families of these young men. RIP.

Can I ask you all to please respect the sensitive nature of the topic.
    I think that about sums up my personal view and also my view as forum moderator.

As I said earlier its an extremely sensitive topic and Id ask you all to show a wee bit of respect for the bereaved families and friends of those who lost their lives.
    No you're not allowed to say what you want..

Im getting a bit fed up at having to repeat myself here. There is a time and a place for speculation but this forum isn't it.
    Right. I have issued a few infractions but I have stopped short of getting out the ban stick but it is sitting at the ready.

Im going to make this very simple and very easy. Any more speculation or any more "discussions" about the matters that are derailing this thread will result in an instant ban.
    smashey wrote: »
    As a Donegal man, all I can say is that this is nothing but a terrible tragedy to add to all those we've had over the years on the roads up here. RIP to all those killed in this and sympathy to the familes and friends of the deceased. Also, the emergency services personnel who attended the scene deserve our utmost respect and gratitude for having to deal with such devastation while remaining professional and compassionate while doing so.

Now, as an Admin on boards, I'm going to say something now - and I don't do this very often outside my own forums - I'd like for everybody to be respectful here and not to engage in any further idle speculation or get involved in any more spats here. The families involved do not need crap being spouted on here and I will act on this thread if need be.
    This is not the place for pointing the finger of blame, the Gardaí will investigate this and we can let them decide. Show some respect to the families involved please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bendy85 wrote: »
    Nobody is to blame in these situations
    that implies that this was unavoidable.

I'll say it so.

This is now a condolences thread only.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

RIP

I think that people will want to talk about why it happened also but perhaps that should be in the politics or commuting & transport forums?

• Advertisement

RIP

Perhaps this thread could be retitled a condolence thread?
    Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

RTE News just named the victims. Take it, it is ok to post as it is public knowledge now:

RTÉ News: Eight killed in Co Donegal road crash

The driver is in a stable condition. Poor, poor lad.

Eight people have died in a two-car crash on the Buncrana to Clonmany road in Co Donegal.

Seven men in a black Volkswagen Passat, along with the driver of a second car, a red Toyota Corolla, were killed in the crash.

The eight people who died have been named as Hugh Friel, 66, who was driving the red Toyota Corolla. In the other car Paul Doherty,19, Ciaran Sweeney,19, Mark McLaughlin, 21, Eamon McDaid, 22, Patrick PJ McLaughlin, 21,Damian McLaughlin, 21,
    James McElleney, 23.

The driver of the Passat was taken to Letterkenny General Hospital with serious injuries following the collision at around 10.40pm last night.

The road is expected to remain sealed off for some time. A forensic examination of the scene is under way.

Gardaí are appealing for anyone who was in the area or who was travelling on the Buncrana to Clonmany road between 10pm and 11pm to contact Buncrana Garda Station on 074-9320540.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'll say it so.

This is now a condolences thread only.

Finally, someone titles the thread appropriately.

So, when can we start the general discussion thread, oh all mighty one?

Keep that attitude up and it will be a long time before you can post here again never mind starting a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BuncranaHere

91011 wrote: »
    Whilst theres needs to be sympathy, there also needs to be anger when it is shown the reckless abandonment shown by the driver of the passat who sped away from the scene of another accident only seconds before.

Assuming he survives his injuries trhe book should be thrown at him and so should the anger of the parent & friends of all those who have died.

Until such time the people of Donegal stop pussyfooting around these horror incidents, they will continue. - The previous horror when 5 friends from Inishowen who took every careful precaution only to be killed by a driver pissed off his head was horrific. The perpetrator got away with 4 years jail!:eek: (will be out after 2) - even though he has permanent injuries, the book should have been thrown at him and he should have received a minimum 10 years per life.

Drivers a certain level over the limit and drivers who drive dangerously should have vehicles immediatly seized and if found guilty, the vehicle destroyed.

Only then, will these thugs think about their actions.

I don't think there is any need for this conversation so close after the tradgedy...and you have to remember the other people choose to get in the car overcrowded...and it is not only the driver to blame! So please keep comments like this to yourself before you know for sure the facts.

It is hard enough on everyone in this community without blame being pointed on one person at this early stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

My sympathy to all the families involved. Lots of young people pile into cars and don't give it a second thought so i wouldn't blame anyone at this stage, i feel sorry for the old guy also on his way home at half 10 on a sunday night. Very very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

The eight people who died have been named as Hugh Friel, 66, who was driving the red Toyota Corolla. In the other car Paul Doherty,19, Ciaran Sweeney,19, Mark McLaughlin, 21, Eamon McDaid, 22, Patrick PJ McLaughlin, 21,Damian McLaughlin, 21,
    James McElleney, 23.

Oh God this inevitably means that there were multiple members of the one family ie three McLaughlins.. God help their poor families.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

terrible for a small community.
    i don't want to derail this thread but i wonder did the driver of the passat have the same mindset as some people here who think that speeding on narrow country roads is acceptable. of course it's not dangerous if you're a good driver because you can react in time to the unexpected if you're going round sharp bends at 50- 55 mph.

well it maybe unfair to speculate to the exact cause of it. Speed may not be the issue, but something is amiss when eight people are in a car to start with and the driver continued on driving after the first accident.

unless he is a sociopath, he is now left to carry the burden of his choices for the rest of his life.

anyway if any good can come from this is that people with reckless attitudes cop on and realise they are not infallible behind the wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gym_mom wrote: »
    Oh God this inevitably means that there were multiple members of the one family ie three McLaughlins.. God help their poor families.
    every fourth person in inishowen is a mclaughlin; they're not necessarily closely related.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Take it to the thread on the Commuting and Transport forum.

You'll get nowhere on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement